Sending handgun via mail for repair.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamma_ray

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere. Did a quick search and couldn't find anything on the topic.

I have a pistol that needs to be repaired by the manufacturer, which is located in Florida. Does anyone have any experience shipping firearms out of state? If so, and you're willing, please share any relevant experience. I'd hate to get in trouble for just trying to get a firearm to operate safely.

Thanks for the help.

JDLEATH

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2017
    Baton Rouge LA
    I've sent one back to Ruger before via FedEx, and one back to Smith and Wesson via UPS. For both, I contacted their customer service department's and was provided a prepaid label for shipping the firearm back, as well as explicit instructions on how to declare the firearm at the shipping facility. If I remember correctly, the Ruger prepaid label I had to pay $30 to Ruger to get them to ship me a label, but the shipping via FedEx would have been like $65 so it wasn't that big of a deal. And they fixed the gun, no questions asked, even though I was not the first owner.

I'd say to contact the firearm company's customer service department and get instruction on how they want you to ship it back. There are some strict laws concerning shipping firearms, so you have to be sure you don't misstep, but because of this, the shipping companies and firearms companies are fully aware of exactly what you have to do and will help guide you through the process.

Good luck!

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I sent one back to the manufacture once through UPS and it was easy. Just call customer service beforehand. I also sent a rifle out of state to my son via an FFL in his state. I did that through FedEx without any issues.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    First, handguns must be shipped by UPS or Fed-Excuse. USPS will only ship rifles.

Second, get an RMA but if the manufacturer gives you a prepaid shipping label DO NOT USE IT! Ship it on your dime and insure (declare) the value at the MSRP. If you use a prepaid shipping label you are not the "shipper" and have no legal recourse if the firearm is stolen. On another forum, a guy shipped an FN SCAR back for warranty work but the box was delivered empty. During shipment by Fed-Excuse, the box had been cut open, the rifle removed, and the box taped back up with different tape. The legal contract was between Fed-Excuse and FN. FN did not declare the value, so the limit of liability from Fed-Excuse was $100. Yes, the guy got reimbursed $100 for a $3,000 rifle!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    First, handguns must be shipped by UPS or Fed-Excuse. USPS will only ship rifles.

Second, get an RMA but if the manufacturer gives you a prepaid shipping label DO NOT USE IT! Ship it on your dime and insure (declare) the value at the MSRP. If you use a prepaid shipping label you are not the "shipper" and have no legal recourse if the firearm is stolen. On another forum, a guy shipped an FN SCAR back for warranty work but the box was delivered empty. During shipment by Fed-Excuse, the box had been cut open, the rifle removed, and the box taped back up with different tape. The legal contract was between Fed-Excuse and FN. FN did not declare the value, so the limit of liability from Fed-Excuse was $100. Yes, the guy got reimbursed $100 for a $3,000 rifle!
    Wow...I bet he went....postal.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.

I had a rifle dissappear coming back from Remington for warranty work and was sent a brand new rifle. I think that is the policy with Remington. You are not offered money compensation.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    One of the better explanations from some folks who work on firearms:
    There are at least three ways to deliveryour firearm for this exciting, versatile and economical upgrade:
    1) Hand deliver your gun to us: we willconvert it and let you know when you may pick.

2) Ship your gun to us through your favorite gun store ordealer by US Mail: (This will cost you about $18.00 plus insurance). Please insure your gunfor it's full replacement cost. Aside-loading USPS Medium Flat Rate Box, (available at any post office free ofcharge), works well for most guns in their case. Your dealerwill need US Postal Form 1508, a copy of our Federal FirearmsLicense, (FFL), and a copy of your dealer's FFL,(which they will need to supply). Your dealer will present both FFL's tothe postal agent and attach them to your package in a clear packing slip on theoutside of the box, (like the kind FedEx uses). Fold the FFL's so thatthe blank side shows through the clear packing envelope on yourpackage. The postal agent will stamp and sign US Postal Form 1508 and give your dealer a copy, or theoriginal, for their records.

3) Ship your gun directly to us by FedEx or UPSExpress. (Thesecarriers require handguns to be shipped 2nd Day air, so your cost for thisoption will be $75 to $100 plus insurance.) However, you will not need togo through your local dealer and will not need to use USPS Form 1508. Just pack up your gun securely and present a copy of the to yourshipper. Again, please insure yourgun for its full replacement cost

We will return your finished conversion to your favorite FFL for$18 plus Insurance or, if you have shipped your gun directly to us, (using option 3 above), then your return shipping cost will be what ever FedExcharges.

Lastly, please ensure that:

* There is no magazine in the gun.
    * The chamber is empty.
    * The magazine (s) you ship areempty.
    * There is no ammunition in the box.
    * The outside of the package issecurely taped shut. Do not trust Post Office glue.

Last edited:

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007

Rifles and shotguns only via USPS. I shipped a very high dollar shotgun for repair via USPS, insured with no problems. Post office clerk did not even ask what it was. A couple of years later I received a Marlin 39a Mountie via mail. I was out of town and post office had a hold mail notice so it was waiting for me when I got back. Clerk there at the time said she saw a lot of long guns come and go via post office.

The shotgunsmith said no problem as it was to him and back to me the customer for repair. For the Marlin I had a C&R license and it qualified so no problems there.

I once sent a pistol slide to have some sights installed and shipped UPS and it was returned DHL(never again). Since it was only a part and not the serial numbered frame I could have shipped USPS as machine part legally.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    You said Florida so I assume you're sending a Taurus. I had a 5-shot revolver that needed factory service. They sent me a return authorization and some paperwork for telling them what I needed/wanted fixed. Told me to mail it back (insured) which surprised me USPS was acceptable instead of UPS or FedEx which I've used previously to send a Glock back. I took my package all taped up and labeled to a Mailbox Express near my house which is a USPS, UPS, FedEx source (for lack of a better term...) to handle pickups. Cost me a few bucks but it shipped and I got it back same way. Very little hassle.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    You said Florida so I assume you're sending a Taurus. I had a 5-shot revolver that needed factory service. They sent me a return authorization and some paperwork for telling them what I needed/wanted fixed. Told me to mail it back (insured) which surprised me USPS was acceptable instead of UPS or FedEx which I've used previously to send a Glock back. I took my package all taped up and labeled to a Mailbox Express near my house which is a USPS, UPS, FedEx source (for lack of a better term...) to handle pickups. Cost me a few bucks but it shipped and I got it back same way. Very little hassle.

You shipped a handgun using USPS as a non FFL?

gamma_ray

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013

Yes, Taurus. And I live in New Orleans' city limits. It's sad that it's so terrifying to have to send this gun off to get it fixed. Thanks everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it!

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Sorry I'm late but yes, I mailed a 5-shot snub nose revolver back to Taurus with their shipping label at my expense. They TOLD me to do it. I shipped a defective Glock on their dime through FedEx a few years ago. Believe me, I was a surprised as you I could mail it back!:eek3:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have shipped to Colt Custom shop. S&W and Ruger. They pick up at the door and drop off at your door with an adult signature. The gun is yours when it leaves and yours when it comes back. {IE} no FFL is needed

Top Bottom