Summer squirrel season... does anyone actually go?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay Ell Gee

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Baton Rouge, La
    Hey guys. I grew up cutting my teeth on hunting with my father, full size 870 in hand (it was almost longer than I was!), hunting squirrels with my father.

Here I am, about to turn 30, and I finally joined the same lease that my parents have been hunting before I was even born. My wife has taken an interest in hunting and absolutely loves her little 10/22. I figured that some squirrel hunting would be a great way to get her a little time in the woods.

As well all know, May is hot, with the snakes out in full swing. Does anyone even mess with it? If so, is it fairly similar to early fall squirrel hunting, while the trees are still full of leaves? Almost nobody squirrel hunts this lease, so there are plenty of them.

If we get bored, I can always bring the Fox Pro and let her send some CCI segmented hollow points at some feisty crows... they are always *depredating* on something out there. They are heck on fresh food plots and are bad about bullying the smaller birds.

Thanks all. Curious to hear what you have to say.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I do shoot a few in the spring season, but hunt with a .22 rifle only.
    Snakes and heat plus killer mosquitoes take a lot of the fun out of it here, but a couple of times on a Texas farm doing Varmint control was more than awesome.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    If I’m at the camp all ready and the weather is right for it I might do a spring squirrel hunt. But I won’t go out of my way just for that. Bag limit is too small and it’s bass fishing season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnpaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    metairie,la
    I usually hunt at pearl river WMA and I have been thinking about doin' that special may squirrel season for a couple years now.I have a thermocell which works great and 100% deet but in the honey island swamp that's like a b-17 against the me-109's over berlin before the P-51 came along..lol..plus the moccasins and gators,chiggers,geez,what am I getting into ?lol I may go out there in may,but I know that it's only for squirrel but I will ask the ranger if it will be alright to take a hog.I use a 10/22 MAG which is my favorite shootin' iron paw

Mworsh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2017
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just curious if Sherburne allows people to squirrel hunt in may. Also looking for a partner in crime to squirrel hunt with me, as I am a beginner and dont have a lot of experience.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    spring squirrel just is a pain, a lot less on limit and rainy and muddy.. plus much smaller not as much meat

buckedup

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Tylertown Ms.
    Awesome. .22 with open sights? Or shotgun?

On a side note, if you ever want company out there, let me know

Shotguns with all the foliage. We were out by 8 am so heat didn’t get too bad. Company is always welcome because we are on public land. Very few take advantage of the spring season.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom