Bald Eagle spotted in Metry!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    This morning around 7:15 am on my short work commute from Kenner to Metairie I saw a huge bald eagle! It was glorious and I knew right then that today would be a great day. Freedom. While I've seem bald eagles before, never in Metairie and never so close to my truck. I was heading eastbound on W. Esplanade approaching the Clearview intersection when I caught something very large flying about 8 feet off the ground out the corner of my eye. When I turned to see what it was, I was shocked to discover it was a beautiful bald eagle! Ole girl was a big one too. As luck would have it, I caught the red light giving me time to watch her. She gracefully landed in the grass at the edge of the canal just 6 feet or so from the truck, and I feel like she looked right at me. What a great way to start my day! God bless America!

Curious to know if anyone else was lucky enough to see her this morning, or if anyone has ever seen another one around the Metairie area? I've lived in Jefferson Parish for over 30 years, and that was the first time I've seen a bald eagle in Metry.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I was hoping to see a picture, haha.

I know, I'm sorry! I didn't have my phone with me. Even if I did, I probably wouldn't have been able to snap a picture in time with my excitement and traffic and whatnot. Honestly, I should had just pulled off down the side street and see if she was still there. Hindsight...

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    There's a nest on the westbank at an undisclosed location relatively close to the bridge if I recall correctly. Another nest on the south side of I-10 just west of the I-310 split. I know of a few in Baton Rouge too, they're beautiful.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    There's a nest on the westbank at an undisclosed location relatively close to the bridge if I recall correctly. Another nest on the south side of I-10 just west of the I-310 split. I know of a few in Baton Rouge too, they're beautiful.

Beautiful, indeed! And I actually know about both of the nests you just mentioned. The one on the westbank has put a stop to the park building some new stuff in the area. Supposedly, the same two eagles come back to that nest every year.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Yep. We have a nest in Baton Rouge that the same pair comes back to annually as well. They had chicks a few weeks ago, I haven't been out there much lately to see how they've grown or if they've flown away.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    At least 3 nests that I'm aware of west of Jefferson parish line canal. Probably out hunting for breakfast for the young ones.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Don't know if I've seen your Eagle but I have seen a few in Metry over the years. They always seam to be near water, looking for fish. The best sighting I had was the Wednesday after Trump was elected and one was flying over the W. Napoleon canal. That was Great for All the Right reasons.
    I seen a couple today in St. Rose & Destrahan. I always see them by the I-10/310 cypress grove from Sept. to about May or June.
    All these sighting and not one good picture!!!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I get to watch the eagles near I310 every day. Lately they've been on or near the nest. I can't wait to see the young ones!

I did manange to get this shot two years ago... its not easy!

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    In LaPlace one landed in the top of my neighbors pecan tree. It stayed there just looking around for about 10 minutes while we stood under the tree looking at it.

Bemms79

Get some
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Mandaville
    image.jpgimage.jpeg
    I saw this beautiful beast eating something in a sugarcane field in St. James.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Had this one show up on our property in Picayune. Threw out some scraps from a deer we processed up and in one night we got a big bobcat, one coyote, Fox and some buzzards. This guy ran them all off.

Attachments

• 0DCEF2C5-19F1-46A5-BC31-0FD954FF4B37.jpg
      0DCEF2C5-19F1-46A5-BC31-0FD954FF4B37.jpg
      220.3 KB · Views: 62

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Had this one show up on our property in Picayune. Threw out some scraps from a deer we processed up and in one night we got a big bobcat, one coyote, Fox and some buzzards. This guy ran them all off.

That is so cool, man! And funny coincidence, last time I was in Picayune, I saw two eagles!

- - - Updated - - -

I live close to the I-310 Bridge. I have seen several in this area. I took this photo in 2009 from my back yard. Notice that it has grabbed a baby nutria.

Bald%20Eagle%20with%20Nutria.JPG

Man, that is an awesome photo! Thanks for sharing!

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I live close to the I-310 Bridge. I have seen several in this area. I took this photo in 2009 from my back yard. Notice that it has grabbed a baby nutria.

Bald%20Eagle%20with%20Nutria.JPG

While driving down Hwy. 22 in Ponchatoula last year I seen a Bald Eagle swoop down and grab a small pig and fly off with it. Looked about like this photo but as it was going up it was using its beak to help readjust the pig. It was amazing to see but I was driving and could not get a photo of it.

That's an awesome shot you have there.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom