Suggestions for getting into competitive shooting?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmalcombe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Raceland, LA
    Hey yall I was hoping some of you could guide me on how to start shooting in pistol matches. I live in the Lockport/Raceland area and work offshore so I’m home only half the year. I’m a complete noob when it comes to shooting competitively so any help would be greatly appreciated.

bipolarbear

SevenGun
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    NOLA
    South Louisiana IDPA is a good laidback group to shoot with. We meet on the second sunday of the month in Thibodaux. more info here https://www.facebook.com/southlouisianaidpa or www.slidpa.com if you dont have facebook. (website is a little out of date, sorry about that). Just come to the match with a pistol and a holster, mag pouches if you have them. There is a new shooter safety briefing before the match that explains some game rules and safety rules.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    EAPS is having a pistol match at the Acension Sheriff’s Range this coming Sunday (0900 start time). You can look up their web site.
    Also, look up the USPSA web page and see if this interest you. We have a good group of shooters that shoots in three local ranges and a few within a couple of hours in Mississippi. You can look up *lagator.org* to get dates and times for the local matches. On F/B you can look at Gulf Coast USPSA to find out about matches in La. and Ms.

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    competition

Look at a thread earlier on here talking about a weeknight shoot in the lafayette/youngsville area. Might be a perfect place to start. These type week night matches tend to be smaller and personal, helping out new shooters. All the advice you have been given is good, you just have to get out there and attend.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    We do a similar thing at FRC on S. Choctaw. On Tuesday night we have a action Shooter practice session. We don’t hold a match. It’s just practice for whatever you want to shoot. We start around 6pm and run until about 9. There are folks shooting USPSA, IDPA , LE and just folks that want to get better.

tmalcombe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Raceland, LA
    hey Beauxdog do you guys set up stages and what time? Baton Rouge is a little further than I planned to travel but I think I’ll have to check that out. I work a 28&28 schedule so I’m trying to find a group that gets together more than once a month.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    We practice every Tuesday night. You can find us on FB under Louisiana Shooters Connection. We have some videos of what we are doing. You gonna have to scroll back always.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Nicks Range in Garyville has a match every Sunday morning and Thursday evening. 60 rounds.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Speaking as a competitive shooting noob (1 match so far) I say just go to a match. I went to the one in Youngsville as it is closest to me and I had a great time. The guys that run it are awesome and everyone was willing to help out.

All you have to do is be familar with your gun and gun safety( USPSA are kind of safety nazis but it is a good thing).
    Go early and listen to the safety briefing you will learn the ins and outs of what to do.
    Make sure your gun will run without issue ( I learned really quick how to clear double feeds).
    For some unknown reason I got picked to go first which I asked the RO to put me a little further down and they obliged so I could see first hand what everything entailed.
    Practice shooting weak hand. We had a stage where this was mandatory I was totally not prepared for it.
    I would say take at least four mags just in case but I was able to run most stages with just 2 double stack.
    Bring a holster and at least a way to hold 2 mags comfortable on your belt. You could run them in your pockets but that will cost you time.
    Electronic muffs are awesome. I didn't have any as I shooit suppressed now so I had to pick some up from Wally World and they worked great and were not too expensive.
    For me I started with making sure I did not get DQ'd for violating a safety rule and made sure I was running sure and steady. Speed will come with time I hope because my first time was abysmal I took like 111 seconds to run the match and the average was ~80ish it killed my score but the double feeds and other issues killed me. Hopefully this coming match I will be better.

Last but not least prepare to become addicted. I am heading out this Wednesday for the next match and can't wait. It was a great time and I look forward to doing it as long as they have the matches.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    I highly encourage anyone to make to the Tuesday night practice at FRC in B.R. in at all possible.
    The group there is extremely accommodating to every level of shooter regardless of experience, equipment, etc.
    Get there a little early if possible for a 10 minute required safety video required by first time FRC range users.

ARROWBEE

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    Thibodaux
    I'm out of Thibodaux and we shoot 3 gun and precision rifle series. I have some close friends here who shoot USPSA at Palo Alto. If only interested in pistol comps I can can get you with those guys. If you are interested in multi gun or precision rifle I can help you out. Feel free to pm me here or look me up on Facebook @arrowbeeprecision. Look forward to seeing you on the range.

Yankchef

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2017
    New Orleans
    St bernard indoor shooting center in Arabi has a plate match every 1st and 3rd Friday of the month that starts at 7 pm. It's 1 vs 1 5 plates whoever knocks then down first wins. There are 3 divisions to keep it more or less fair and entry is only 15 dollars for non members should probably bring about 200 rounds. A lot of fun basically drag racing with guns and not as much gear and setup as you would need for many of the other competitions. Lots of friendly people

Jimmy76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Welcome to the community!

In addition to the other great matches suggested, we hold a monthly Steel Challenge Match at Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club in Donaldsonville on the 4th Saturday of month. It’s a great match to start out without much movement. There is also a USPSA Match that is held on the 4th Sunday at Palo Alto. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Jim

jpgarc01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Finding matches

Ditto what everyone else said.

I'm pretty new to the area, so I don't know where Raceland is - we'd love to have you come out to our Wed nights at Sentry in Youngsvillle! Very beginner friendly.

Contact beauxdog too, though, because FRC may be closer to you. I hear great things about their set up! I, too, need to get out there and practice.

What to Bring

My advice is not to worry about gear, divisions, rules/strategy (other than SAFETY, of course) - just bring your favorite gun and shoot! Bring lots of mags and ammo, kydex holster if you have it (fabric holsters are notoriously difficult to re-holster without sweeping yourself). Have an open mind and have fun!

Bayou Boys

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Abita Springs La.
    Coast Rifle and Pistol Club in Biloxi Super nice facility and very nice people. The members are very nice and helpful, They have pistol matches a few times monthly and you dont have to be a member to participate in the matches. Located on Hwy 67 it is the best of any range around.

Top Bottom