Rem model 7 bottom metal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I have a model 7 in 260 rem glass bedded and want to shot a PRS match, which requires a removable magazine. So I need to change the bottom metal. I see Badger Ordinance, Pacific tool and gauge, and CDI Precision have them, but at least two of them say Inletting is probably required. Any experience or recommendations?

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    The 'inletting is probably require' is bit of an understatement.

PT&G is a good choice. If you think you can do the inletting, it would be better if you did it yourself. I do this kind of work but would prefer not to do it on a finished rifle. It's a lot easier and better to do on a new stock. After you inlet the DBM and get it fitted, it's time to bed the actions and finish the stock. Your situation is reversed as your action is already bedded.

What is the stock material? Wood, plastic or something else? Is your rifle an ADL?

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    ADL or BDL - don't know...it has the plate on the bottom where you can open it to dump the cartridges. Wood stock.
    Other thought is to buy a chassis, but very limited choices for the model 7. (MDT HS3 is the only one I see that doesn't require you to modify the action.)
    And as you said, already being bedding is what I have been hesitating over.
    Thanks.

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    I would mod the existing stock to take a PT&G DBM. It's a lot of money for the MDT HS3 and then a trigger an all you end up with is an expensive Model 7 that's not really suited for anything.

Modded with a PT&G DBM and it'll be a nice rifle. If the PRS matches work out well for you and you decide you want to get further into it, having a rifle built on a Rem 700 or other action with a heavier barrel and a good stock is the way to go.

There's nothing wrong with modding your existing stock. For a shop to do it, they would have to be concerned about getting scratches or nicks in the finish and getting the fit just right. It would be best for a shop to do the whole thing.

If you do it yourself and take your time, it'll come outlooking good enough.
    My vote is for modding the existing stock with a PT&G DBM

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    You have no location listed. If you're not too far away, you could drop by my shop if you wanted

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    Thanks -Zachary so not to far away. I'll likely order one and see how much is required. Based on what you are saying I can likely handle the work - I am not concerned over looks, just function. I wish I knew about PRS before I had the rifle bedded and rebarreled with a brux and threaded for suppressor. It is very accurate and a great deer rifle. Shots lite varmint bullets well also.

Top Bottom