7mm-08 reloading problem

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lock-n-load

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    I am reloading for my son's Remington Model 7, 7mm-08. The rifle is a youth model, so the barrel is very thin. No matter what loads I try, the 1st shot (the one that counts on a deer stand) is consistently ~100 fps faster than shots 2 & 3. I've tried Varget & Win 748 powder, and 120 grain Nosler BT & Speer 130 grain boat tails. Same results with various loads. At 100 FPS faster than all subsequent shots, the 1st shot is consistently 1.25" - 1.5" higher at 100 yards than the rest. Anyone have any ideas, or just sight the rifle in with all cold shots, waiting ~10 minutes b/t each shot?

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I would sight somewhere in the middle if you are THAT worried about it. Unless you're trying to shoot them in the eye or the ear hole you should be GTG.

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    Sounds like the barrel is touching something after the first shot. What happens with a clean barrel first shot? I have the same gun in 7mm08 and I did put a thin piece of rubber at the very front between the stock and barrel to make contact. It will still walk some but after the barrel has about 4 quick rounds through it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I doubt every first shot is 100fps faster. Cold bore shots are usually off from the rest of the group, dont know why.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    The "first" shot you are speaking of, is this from a clean barrel? Is there residual gun oil in the barrel for the first shot? If so, you may want to make a fouling shot before doing any accuracy and chrono testing. I have seen several guns that refuse to behave with a squeaky clean bore. After a shot or two they then settle down and act right. 22LR is notorious for this trait.

lock-n-load

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    The "first" shot you are speaking of, is this from a clean barrel? Is there residual gun oil in the barrel for the first shot? If so, you may want to make a fouling shot before doing any accuracy and chrono testing. I have seen several guns that refuse to behave with a squeaky clean bore. After a shot or two they then settle down and act right. 22LR is notorious for this trait.

No - Not from a clean barrel. I will shoot 3 shots, wait about 30 minutes for the barrel to cool, and shoot another 3 shots. Same results - shot #1 from each string will be 100 fps faster and about 1.25" - 1.5" higher at 100 yards. No cleaning between strings.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    The only other thing not mentioned that I can think of is that you load a detachable magazine, and the first round sits at the top of the magazine and is in the sun and warms up for the 30 minutes? 100 fps seems like too much for that though.

lock-n-load

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    The only other thing not mentioned that I can think of is that you load a detachable magazine, and the first round sits at the top of the magazine and is in the sun and warms up for the 30 minutes? 100 fps seems like too much for that though.

That can't be it either since the Model 7 has the spring swing plate, not a detachable mag. All cartridges stay in the same box until I put them in the gun. It has been frustrating for me.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Shot on different targets, but looking at both side by side, all 1st shots within 3/4" of one another, and all subsequent shots within about 1" of one another.

That may be the best you can achive with a light weight free floated barrel. Take your shims out and place a thin rubber cushion under the barrel where it leaves the fore end to bed the barrel somewhat and stop some of the harmonic vibrations. It will probably settle down or not. You've tried everything else.

Top Bottom