Switchblade Ban Repeal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What about getting busted on local laws? Like doesn't NOLA have a anti switch blade law?

Baton Rouge does, and a quick look at the preemption statutes suggest that they only cover firearms laws, not knife laws.

Sounds like something good to chip away at in 2019 ... get some of these stupid New York-style laws off of the books for good.

mike

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Baton Rouge does, and a quick look at the preemption statutes suggest that they only cover firearms laws, not knife laws.

Sounds like something good to chip away at in 2019 ... get some of these stupid New York-style laws off of the books for good.

mike

I agree no preemption for the knife law and different cities have the no switchblades on their local laws

talcatcha

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Pearl River, Louisiana
    To buy an automatic knife from Blade HQ at the check out they want me to sign an electronic agreement/contract indicating I am an authorized government official as below.

8. Automatic Knife Laws & Assisted Knife Laws. The Switchblade Act, (Pub.L. 85-623, 72 Stat. 562, enacted on August 12, 1958, and codified in 15 U.S.C. § 1241–1245), as may be amended, (the *Act*) prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions:

(a) to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government;

(b) to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National guard, or militia of a state, territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization;

(c) to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory;

(d) to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs (a), (b), and (c).

Sections 1242 and 1243 of the Act shall not apply to:

(e) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;

(f) the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce, of switchblade knives pursuant to contract with the Armed Forces.

(g) the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his duty;

(h) the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by any individual who has only one arm; or

(i) a knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife.

Blade HQ will not sell to any individual or group outside the State of Utah without the above conditions being met. This does not apply to automatic knives manufactured, distributed, purchased or sold within the State of Utah. Proper identification may be required before the order is shipped in cases where restricted items are purchased.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks, I hope there's a good selection at gun shows in the near future since the legalization is so new.

HAHAHAHA, there are always plenty of cheap(ly made) expensive OTFs and other autos at gun shows. I once asked a guy how he could sell them like that and he laughed and said he's been doing it for years, because nobody cares. You probably won't find any quality autos at shows, though.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I wasn't sure if I would like an OTF, so I came across a thread on another forum of Chinese OTF's that are pretty reliable, and would give me an idea if it's something I would like to own before dropping 200-400 on a micro tech or similar knife. Good thing I decided to try to Chinese knives, b/c I don't think OTF's are for me. Longer than my kershaw leek, heavier, requires more effort to open/close etc. I rather a nice spring assist.

What's even crazier is that I ordered an OTF that on the site had ZERO markings on it, but overall looked like a microtech. I wasn't looking for a fake, more of just something similar. Well when it came in, the knife came with the microtech logo on it, and a box and holster which wasn't expected. I still don't like it, but for 26 bucks, I'll keep it at home as a letter opener, b/c that's about all it's good for.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    What's even crazier is that I ordered an OTF that on the site had ZERO markings on it, but overall looked like a microtech. I wasn't looking for a fake, more of just something similar. Well when it came in, the knife came with the microtech logo on it, and a box and holster which wasn't expected. I still don't like it, but for 26 bucks, I'll keep it at home as a letter opener, b/c that's about all it's good for.

I have a nice Microtech fake OTF that actually has a nicer feeling action to it than my real ones. It's as heavy as a gold bar, though. And I agree, most OTFs aren't much more than fun letter openers, even the $400 ones...

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Is carrying that Buck 110 automatic knife in the pouch considered concealing the knife?

This is not legal advice, but probably not. Bottom line, you're not going to get cited for a concealed infraction unless you do somethng bad enough to get a pat-down (still might not get cited) and you **** off the responding LEO (definitely going to get cited if he thinks about it). Just obey the only golden rule/law we need... Don't be a dick! :dogkeke:

talcatcha

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Pearl River, Louisiana
    Yes, it's always advantageous to be courteous when dealing with police. I never paid much attention to the issue but online I found police seeking clarification of knife laws concerning assisted opening knives and legislation signed by Jindal clarifying that an assisted knife is not a switch blade. Concerning automatic knife legalization the bill sponsor Covington Representative Mark Wright says the only reason a switchblade is not legal to conceal is police see a huge problem with that however no problem concealing an assisted opener. What I'm getting at is I don't think Jindal and the Louisiana Legislature put that much effort just to protect citizens that might **** off the cops.

Last edited:

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I think we are way over thinking this issue. If you want one, get one. Just don't intentionally conceal it with an intent to do something against the law. If you are worried about carrying one just don't do it. Plain and simple.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gautreaux
    Top Bottom