Best Rifle And Caliber for Lightweight Beginner?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilssoon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bali
    I am completely unfamiliar with rifles as I have never hunted, so please bear with me on questions that have probably been asked countless times on this forum.

My 16 year old daughter has expressed an interest in hunting. We have taken a hunter's safety course together and I'd like for her to bring home some venison this fall...but first, she needs an appropriate firearm.

Let me start by telling you that my daughter is 5'6" and probably weighs 100 lbs fully clothed.

I'm currently looking at three budget rifles. The Thompson/Center Compass, the Ruger American Predator, and the Savage Axis II XP. Currently, the prices at Cabela's are as follows:

Thompson $249.99 After mail-in rebate with no scope
    Ruger: $549.99 With Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 scope
    Savage: $439.99 With Weaver 3-9x40 scope

Personally, the Thompson "feels" cheap to me, although the articles I've read seem to like it. I know that for the price, I can outfit it with a scope and still come out at the Savage and Ruger's price point.

Of the three, the Ruger seems to be the "gold standard" of budget rifles(according to what I've read)...so what do you guys think? If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Secondly, She wants to start with whitetail, but if she likes it, she wants to move up to feral hogs and black bear and possibly more since we have relatives who are avid hunters in Latin America.

I know that the .243 seems to be the best all-around deer and varmint round and it would play well with her light weight and bony shoulders (though she is far from a delicate flower), but how would it do with bigger game? Should I consider the 6.5mm Creedmoor or the 7mm-08? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Again, I am completely ignorant when it comes to this stuff so any help you can give me would be appreciated.
    image.png

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I've heard good things about all three, and have experience with several ruger Americans, they are very nice for the money, and Vortex makes some good budget glass with great warranties. If you don't expect to be hunting more than 200 yards, I'd suggest 300 Blackout. It's relatively cheap and is super easy to shoot. It works great on deer and hogs. .308 isn't that bad to shoot, but I hear 6.5 is a little tamer. If you are interested in picking up a single shot for primitive season .35 remington is probably the easiest of the legal cartridges on the shoulder.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Maybe you and your daughter should start smaller. Neither of you have ever hunted or are familiar with firearms you should pick up a 22 rifle or shotgun and start by chasing squirrels or other small game to see if she is ready. If you've never hunted and you plan on hunting public lands it may be many years before either of you get a shot on a deer. After she or you spend a couple hundred hours scanning the woods from a tree stand she may change her mind about hunting.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'd suggest heading to the range and letting her try a few rifles. I'm not sure where you are but I'm sure some of us would be happy to let your daughter shoot a few different rifles.
    Also, since you're not a rifle shooter you may want to let someone else teach her to shoot the first time. You know how important grip is in holding a pistol? Same thing with a rifle... plus the stance and positioning affects felt recoil, which is important to a new long gun shooter.
    Is there a .30/30 in the family she could try?

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    The .243 or 7mm -08 will bring down anything in Louisiana if placed properly and there is an abundance of choices on the shelf. Ruger or Savage would be my choice, pay attention to the rifles weight when fully loaded as they can get quite heavy if you have any walking or hiking to do.

Last edited:

Jiggy205

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jun 10, 2014
    New Orleans
    Savage 42 22lr/410 is what I started my kids off with. Had to put the hammer back for them til they got used to it but can't go wrong with it.

Cowboy55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2018
    Baton Rouge LA
    I'd suggest starting her on a .22 LR rifle with iron sights - save the scope for later. Let her learn rifle basics first on targets at short distances and then later advance to a scope at longer distances. Also, I think more indoor ranges will let her shoot a .22 LR rifle, but maybe not a centerfire rifle.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    The .243 or 7mm -08 will bring down anything in Louisiana if placed properly and there is an abundance of choices on the shelf. Ruger or Savage would be my choice, pay attention to the rifles weight when fully loaded as they can get quite heavy if you have any walking or hiking to do.
    And the .243 or 7/08 are not calibers she will out grow as they are great grown up rounds also .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    For my 11 year old son we started out when he has about 9 with a Ruger 10/22 22LR. It is fitted with a Nikon P22 Rimfire scope. This was to get him proficient with shooting, accuracy and all the safety aspects with a rifle, then I let him fire the M4 that essentially has the same scope (Nikon M22) so he was used to the scope. The M4 has almost no recoil and is extremely accurate. He used this to get his first deer, I'm not an advocate of using .223 to take deer but where we hunt most of our shots are less than 100 yards and there are specialty cartridges in .223 for deer. This summer we will graduate him to his own .243 and get him ready for next deer season. BTW, my son is small, at 11 he weighs 68 lbs......and yes, we feed him, he eats like a horse!! :D

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A Ruger 10/22 in .22 LR is, hands down, the best suggestion here. It may not be the only rifle that you and your daughter will ever own, but it's the one you'll come back to again and again.

Look up "Appleseed Rifle." Their suggestion for configuring a training rifle (Garand style iron sights and a basic sling) is the best configuration for anyone looking to master the rifle, and the entire rig can be put together for a modest sum. There are other rifles that you could choose, of course, but the 10/22 has a strong following, a bountiful aftermarket of parts, and if you ever decide to part with it you won't hesitate to find a ready buyer.

In terms of training, the Appleseed program is tough to beat. It emphasizes the use of traditional iron sights, they teach the proper use of a sling in the various positions one might shoot from (prone, seated, kneeling, standing, etc.), and almost everyone that goes to one of their shooting workshops comes away a much better shooter. Even the grizzled old veterans that go learn a thing or two.

Don't worry about optics or larger calibers at first. There's plenty of time for that depending on what you two decide to hunt, and having a good foundation in rifle shooting will bet instrumental in picking a good rifle that fits her, and that she'll feel comfortable manipulating.

Mike

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    Remington youth model 700 in 7mm08. Very accurate. Very light.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    what is the recoil on this compared to a .243? Thx!
    They have reduced loads for them but if you go to the 120 grain bullets you will not be able to tell a difference from the 100 grain 243. Just make sure you get a scope with at least 4 inch eye relief. Also look into a sims or kickease butt pad. Even with low recoil it makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My girlfriend hunts with a .308 or a .243. My past girlfriend hunted with a 30-30 or a 7mm-08, depending on the stand.

Both started off at 15 to 16 near 100lbs and continue to use the same rifles (presuming my ex still hunts LOL). She's 3 inches shorter than your daughter and easily handles AKs and heavy calibers at the range. The trick is just working up to it.

That being said, I can get her to shoot a 30-06 or an AK...but a .45 ACP pistol still scares her a little haha.

Top Bottom