Question for LEO/Detectives regarding burglary

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    good luck getting any kind of crime scene support in la. if its not drugs or money they wont come out. my mil house was broken into last year. robber cut his arm on the glass he broke. blood trail to bathroom, bloody hand and fingerprints on sink, blood on several towels. bloody fingerprints on front door and knob.
    ebrpd responding officer told her to just use bleach to clean it up, and that nobody would come take samples or prints. she called lsp, and ebrso and was told the same.
    her neighbor is a dps officer, he told her unless its drugs or cash the departments get no recognition for it, so its really hard for them to get any crime scene guys out of their offices.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Damn Roger. Bad news man. I hate a thief. Sure hope something gives. Pretty sad when you can’t count on law enforcement to enforce the law. I’m amazed at the way things work in that regard.
    Thanks Z, to be fair to the officer, I'm sure he has been busy over the weekend. Maybe he was burned out and maybe he is correct about the prints. However, I still feel like a second opinion from someone in the Detectives department and or the DA office would be a good idea.
    Since it shows you're in Walker are you dealing with LPSO or WPD?
    LPSO

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    good luck getting any kind of crime scene support in la. if its not drugs or money they wont come out. my mil house was broken into last year. robber cut his arm on the glass he broke. blood trail to bathroom, bloody hand and fingerprints on sink, blood on several towels. bloody fingerprints on front door and knob.
    ebrpd responding officer told her to just use bleach to clean it up, and that nobody would come take samples or prints. she called lsp, and ebrso and was told the same.
    her neighbor is a dps officer, he told her unless its drugs or cash the departments get no recognition for it, so its really hard for them to get any crime scene guys out of their offices.
    Now that is ridiculous. I don't know if I could have rested until I called every representative in the state to let them know how unimportant crime seems to be in their eyes.
    My wife told me I was dumb to think they would come collect the cigarette, but thankfully they did.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Just got off the phone with detective department. My case was already in process of being assigned to a detective but, the supervisor is calling one of his guys to get them over here to have a look.

That phone call went really well.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Detective came shortly after my last post and was helpful. He also agreed with the responding officer about the prints. He did take a couple more things to be tested for DNA in hopes of nabbing someone in addition to whom the cigarette belonged to.

Thanks for the advice and opinions and I will try to remember to update with any significant developments.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Hope like heck something breaks brother. I’m sure if they catch the perp they will no doubt solve a number of thefts. I’ve seen that over and over. Occasionally, local LEO’s will ask state police for assistance. Keep us posted! I know we all just love some justice

naloxone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2007
    Glad to hear it sounds like you have some solid progress on the case!

There are a lot of things considered when evaluating a scene for processing, law, policy, and technical capability among them.

Where I am, our policy states the initial officer determines the best probable sequence of the event, then calls his supervisor. The supervisor will in turn decide whether to send me based on factors such as value, type of items, similar modus operandi, and potential viability of any trace evidence.

What constitutes actually viable evidence from there is pretty much up to me. Even if I know it's a long shot, I will still usually attempt to process evidence but long shots rarely pan out so I can't normally fault techs who decide against processing what they determine to be non-viable evidence.

Cajunman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2014
    Lakeland La.
    Marksman, even if the items touched were dusty, they should have swabbed them for DNA. I work for Brpd and was a detective in the Burglary Division for 13 yrs before transferring to another division. DNA is where it’s at. If you haven’t handled the items , I would call them back and have them swab them and submit it to the state police crime lab.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA

i personally know just about all of the BRPD and EBRSO crime scene folks. i work directly with them frequently. this is absolutely unacceptable. if they didn't come out, they weren't dispatched. it's that simple. i've been on all four shifts and been involved in cases where they've gone significantly above and beyond in situations where their performance was absolutely thankless as there was no crime committed or anybody to charge but they went the extra mile anyway just because they like their jobs and it would make someone's day a little less crappy.

sure, some of them work a little different than others and that might lead to differing opinions on their perceived competence, but i can assure you all of them are motivated to do their jobs to the best of their ability in a thorough and professional manner.

side note: those television idiots who keep perpetuating these "crime procedural" shows all need a swift kick in the pants. if i had a dollar for every time someone on a scene said to me something along the lines of "well i saw on (insert annoying show here)..." thinking they know how to do my job, or the detectives' jobs, or the crime scene tech's job, i could probably buy a couple bottles of really good scotch.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Something else you can do is send as detailed a list of the stolen tools as you can to every pawn shop in driving distance, explain the circumstances, times dates....maybe even a description of who you think did it, with you name and number, if the pawn shop is close, drop it off and talk to them....that sticks in their minds.
    Email and call those you can't go to....talk to them, that helps them remember you. Tell them to call if anything like it turns up.
    Whenever something is pawned...an ID has to be given and a photo of the person pawning it is supposed to be taken.
    Watch Ebay and Craigs list ....criminals sell stuff over the net nowdays , if you see something call the police and go from there.
    I had a stolen Ruger Blackhawk from Baton Rouge , turn up in a pawn shop Kingman Arizona!
    A good buddy of mine worked the Pawn Shop Division back then....I called him up , told him the story and he tracked it down, caught the guy who stole it too.

I hate thieves .....remember who was on either side of Jesus when he was crucified ?
    Two thieves...fitting punishment in my opinion !

Gary

Top Bottom