Headed For Neck Surgery

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Surfmonkey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Covington, LA
    I need to have ACDF (Anterior Cervical Disc Fusion) in the C4-6. I am 69 years old and currently manage the pain/discomfort with meds. But the biggest aggravation is the numbness in my arm down to my index finger and thumb.

Anybody have this surgery? If so, what are your pros and cons and how did you do with it. Would you do it over again?

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I have had 2 neck surgeries and fused at 4 levels. Recovery time is a full year and I would suggest doing everything your doctor says to do. Rest is the most important thing. Are they using cadaver bone or inserting an artificial disc ? You will either be in bed or in a recliner for the first 6 weeks, pillows under your arms will help take the pressure off. Popsicles will ease the discomfort in your throat as swallowing will be difficult. Hopefully you have someone at home that can assist you those first few weeks. Even with 4 levels fused together my range of motion is not too bad. I think I would do it again, I still have some pain and discomfort daily however both of my arms are stronger and free of numbness. Good luck with your recovery!

Last edited:

lajones

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Louisiana
    Husband had c2-c6 done at age 45, mother-in-law had c3-c7 done at age 78 then c2-c3 at age 80. All done by dr oberlander in Baton Rouge and all successful. Being smart in recovery is key! For my husband, complete recovery took over a year due to the extent of damage. That doesn’t mean a year of sitting still, just being cautious.

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    Haven't had surgery myself, but as an attorney have seen many people I represented and opposed who did. Don't put it off too long, as I have seen people wait too long and end up with permanent nerve damage because the disc was pressing on the nerve too long. They got pain relief from the surgery, but still had the numbness/tingling down the arm.

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    I need to have ACDF (Anterior Cervical Disc Fusion) in the C4-6. I am 69 years old and currently manage the pain/discomfort with meds. But the biggest aggravation is the numbness in my arm down to my index finger and thumb.

Anybody have this surgery? If so, what are your pros and cons and how did you do with it. Would you do it over again?

I had this surgery in 2005. Mine was a bit more complicated. They also discovered a broken bone fragment imbedded in my spinal cord. I had been suffering all the symptoms of a heart problem such as pain in left arm etc. I actually complained to my doctor about my arm doing my pre-op for lower back surgery. He opted to do an MRI of my neck out of an abundance of caution. Upon discovery of the broken vertebrae, it became the more immediate problem. Thus, I have the neck surgery and then about 5 months later, I had the lower back fixed. Mine were remarkably successful. Most people get 50 to 60% pain reduction. I got as close to 100% than anybody I'm aware of. My neck almost never gives me any problems. I have some occasional lower back ache when I do something I shouldn't. And it is treated with ibuprofen only. I would recommend you use a neurosurgeon and not an orthopedic doc. My neurosurgeon has died, so I can't recommend him. He was a real blessing. When you start getting neurological symptoms, it is time to get it fixed. The symptoms can result in permanent damage and not resolved by surgery if left untreated too long. Sorry I can't provide better info. I have no regrets. As far as cons go, any surgery has the potential to go horribly wrong. My wife is a nurse and had seen many of his patients and how he interacted with these patients. That is how I found out about him. Asking nurses is a good method of finding a good doc.

I was 54 at the time of this surgery. I was 55 by the time I recovered from the second surgery. This was old enough for early retirement which I opted for.

Last edited:

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    Mine was July of 2015 and I have to take tramadol still today. Numbness still occurs if I try to hold something long etc. My initial mri showed my sprinal chord was being compressed to 7mm it is supposed to be 13mm. The doctor that read it said to not do anything until I have the surgery or I could be paralized or killed with a bump of my head on something. Lifes not the same as it was before I have to be very careful of what I do. Retired at 55, had cadaver bones used.
    ed7d006400a7b7bcae89475eae397273.jpg
    e2b74c356cd71ec8a29bc002f4f06f5f.jpg
    now I am having back pain also which I am about to have to have checked out. I would get the mri for sure
    which you probably have. My disgnosis is degenerative disk disease. I would do it again if I had to knowing what I know now. It wont heal itself. Dude could have put the plate straight for what he got paid...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom