12.5" Melonite barrel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilssoon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bali
    I'm a fairly new member here. I did some searching but couldn't find an answer. I just bought a 12.5 government profile 5.56mm barrel. It's QPQ treated, which I believe is the same as Melonite. The bore is significantly lighter in color than the barrel extension and outside of the barrel. Is that normal for a QPQ barrel? I assumed the treatment process turned the metal black. I only have experience with chrome lined barrels, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Thanks
    c.png

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Well, QPQ (quench polish quench) according to wikipedia is:

The process starts with a standard salt bath nitrocarburizing cycle, which produces a layer of ε iron nitride.

Next, the workpiece is mechanically polished; typical polishing processes include vibratory finishing, lapping, and centerless grinding.

Finally, the workpiece is re-immersed into the salt quench bath for 20 to 30 minutes, rinsed, and oil dipped. This last step optimizes the corrosion resistance by creating a layer of iron oxide about 3 to 4 micrometers thick. It also gives the workpiece a black finish.

So, perhaps they plugged the barrel after the polish step and did not allow the final Quench to get into the bore?

Or just the bore was polished a second time? QPQP?

Or maybe they only polished the bore, so the outside of the barrel will appear to be darker due to lack of polish?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom