Fundraiser Pistol Match in Youngsville Wednesday May 2nd!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Shooters!

Sentry Defense, JPGar, and I are hosting a “Beat Cancer!” fundraiser match at Sentry Defense in Youngsville on Wednesday evening May 2nd. We will start with a Jambalaya feed at 5:00 for all paid shooters then 3-4 stages of indoor fun.

So far we have the following items donated as giveaways for participants or anyone who simply wants to show up to check out the match and make a donation to a good cause.

Louisiana Concealed Carry License Class from Sentry Defense
    Defensive Handgun Class from Sentry Defense
    Intro to Defensive Pistol/Tactical Pistol 1 weekend from VATA Group
    $275 Stipple Package from Valhalla Custom Grips
    500 rounds of Independence 5.56 ammo from MCW Guns
    Ben Stoeger’s “Dry Fire Reloaded” and “Skills and Drills Reloaded” training books (30 total)
    Mike Seeklander’s Defense Pistol Training Books and DVD’s (20+)
    Glock Shooting Sports Foundation (Bags, Towels, Cups, etc)
    Other various giveaway goodies….

The match fee is $50 and will go 100% to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS). This is not a typical prize table based on placement. Items will be drawn randomly so a first time shooter may walk away with a prize of up to $400 in value!

Why are we doing this? My 16 year old daughter is a candidate for the Acadiana LLS chapter “Student of the Year”. For those of you that don’t know, LLS supports research into treatment for all types of blood cancer and supports families who need financial help related to their cancer. Her connection to LLS is me. I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma 18 months ago. Treatment has gone well, but the work in finding a cure isn’t finished yet!

The match is up on practiscore or you can call Shelby at Sentry Defense to register. We are asking people to sign up ASAP so we have an idea for food and drinks. If you are in the firearms business and would like to donate to the prize list please pm me. (The match fee and all donations are tax deductible)

Thanks,
    Slalom.45

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Thanks for the reminder I am getting on Practiscore now to sign up.

Not only is this match for a great cause but the group that shoots here is awesome so it is a double win if you show up.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Got the Seeklander Books in this weekend. If you are more into self defense than competitive shooting these will be for you. 20 copies of "Your Defensive Handgun Training Program" to be given away at the match. I have his competition training program and have taken classes from. I really respect what he does. Thanks to Mike for donating to the cause!

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    Hopefully, I'll be in from offshore in time to shoot this one. I got in too late to shoot the last one and I go offshore tomorrow morning (so I'll miss tomorrow's as well). I'm already signed up for it.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Great match at Sentry last night. Brought my 16 yr old daughter for her first match. She was a little iffy on going, but wound up having a great time! She achieved the first match goal of not getting a DQ and actually ran the pad most of the night. Afterward she kept telling my how nice everyone was. Thanks to the staff at Sentry and fellow shooters for making this a great place to get into shooting....

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    It was great to see your daughter shooting last night. let her know she did an awesome job shooting/keeping score. You should be proud dad.

It was another great match last night we had I think 4 or 5 new shooters and I know we did our best to make them feel welcome.

Just want to say I can't wait for the charity match and hope we hit 50 people. It's gonna make for a long night but it will be worth it.

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    Just bumping this up into the recent threads to remind everyone that this charity match is Wednesday!

Looking forward to seeing yall there.

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    I'm on first flight coming in tomorrow, no weather that appears to impede our crew change...so I should be in and there early enough to help run the staff through their portion of the match before everyone else shows up.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Well. If you missed it, you missed out!

The Beat Cancer match went off without a hitch and a great time was had by all. We raised right at $2000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, had a lot of new shooters, and ate some great food! Now it's time for me to say thanks to some people.

Sentry Defense.
    The Elias family are such great people. They have a personal connection to the fight against cancer and were on board from the instant I asked for help. They run a beautiful range and are very welcoming. Great ambassadors for the sport and gun culture in general. If you are in the south Lafayette area please support them.

JPGar
    A force! In less than 3 months he's gotten a club started that is getting 30 shooters per week coming to matches. This includes a number of ladies, juniors, and brand new shooters. This sport would explode if there were more guys with his drive.

Valhalla Customs
    Matt is there every match. He polymer work is sweet and he was the first person to volunteer a prize. Thanks!

VATA Group
    I asked for a day of training as a giveaway. They immediately replied and offered a full weekend. Thanks to Greg, Casey, and Devin plus all the other great adjunct instructors there. I've taken pistol and rifle from them and will be back.

Ben Stoeger
    No intro needed. Took a class with him this spring and again he didn't hesitate when asked to help out. The recently released Skills and Drills Reloaded is awesome. I'm a disciple now and will be on his program for the foreseeable future.

Mike Seeklander
    If you guys haven't checked out his "American Warrior Show" podcast you should. He is all over you tube and face book with defensive and competitive info. I've trained with him and he's a solid dude in both arenas.

Marc Wiley Guns
    Marc is a FFL who has a table at all the area guns shows. He helped us out with 500 rounds of 5.56. If you need a gun from his table or need to order please hit him up.

Lastly, thanks to all the local guys who helped run this match. Mike, Steve, "Offshore" Mike and the gang. Also my daughter. I set up this match, but the work she is putting in raising funds to fight cancer is amazing to see in a 16 year old. Thank you all for supporting her and the cause...

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    It was a great time, that's for sure!

I was happy to see the turnout (36 shooters, plus some observers). I was kind of surprised to see the news show up. I think they were supposed to air it before we even left the range (if anyone has a link to the news coverage, I'd love to see it). From the RO perspective, it sure did run well...and fast. Not sure how the rest of the festivities went, but it was a good time in the range area.

After JP let some of the guys try his pistol, I'm wondering how many new Open guns we'll see in about 6mos or so. :D

Guess I'm stuck with the "Offshore Mike" moniker now. ;)

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I was standing there when that moniker got applied so I think yes you are stuck with it now.

That was a pretty good amount of money that was raised.

Thanks to the ROs the match was well run and it went very quickly even considering how many new shooters that got addicted at the match.

The jambalaya was out of this world. I don't know who made it but damn it was good. I tried to sneak the pan to my truck but too many people were watching.

I was one of the ones to test drive JPs open gun and wow it was nice. It even comes with a built in wind generator for hot days. If anyone is interested in helping me get one, I have a kidney and left testicle listed on Ebay so help a brother get into the open class......

Top Bottom