windshield replacement - BR area

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I did a search and saw some recommendations from 2014. Any recommendations for the BR area?
    2015 GMC Sierra. Any shortcuts they may do that I should watch for?

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I have a friend that runs a glass shot in Thibodaux. I need a windshield for a Silverado, which is the same truck. He told me that GM uses the same windshield in all their trucks and suv's, so they are one of the cheapest windshields you can buy.

jlee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 29, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a friend that runs a glass shot in Thibodaux. I need a windshield for a Silverado, which is the same truck. He told me that GM uses the same windshield in all their trucks and suv's, so they are one of the cheapest windshields you can buy.

That's very interesting. I have a 2016 Yukon with lane departure and proximity sensing. The two shops I've talked to both said that it was different from (and cost more than) the others because of those features.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    More features cost more. My son priced a windshield and it cost an extra $100 to get the glass with "FORD" written in it.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Though not the same car, but new Escalades like the one I drive, are marketed with having some sort of new windshield material that rejects heat better than the old ones.

Also I use a window repair place in the past on a few cars, on my older escalade, the front window they replaced (Which they told me would be the same as what I had since all glass is made at the same place) was 100% clear vs my factory window had the slightest tint to it. I never noticed the "factory" front tint till I was driving and can noticeably tell the difference between the two while driving.

Also on my Acura TL, I noticed a distortion to the image near the corners with aftermarket windshield glass.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm a 20+ year insurance agent so I've seen (and paid for!) more windshield replacements than I can count. IIRC, there are only 7 glass manufacturers. They all have to pass very stringent testing so I haven't found a significant statistical difference between them.

The difference isn't in the glass. The difference is in service and installation, and in the adhesives used in the installation. An independent windshield installer that is a lot cheaper than the others is probably using lesser adhesives, not a poor glass. The windshield's function in a serious accident is to keep you inside the vehicle and cheap adhesives may not hold. Service matters. IF something goes wrong in the installation (I get about one a year that does! Sealant on leather, a windshield installed too high or too low, wind or water leaks, distortions, etc. ) you want a shop that will make it right. Some will, some won't. If you have a vehicle with a large windshield (C1500, suburban, etc.) make sure they installer has enough help to do the job and isn't struggling to do it on his own.

Safelite, glass doctor, and the other national companies are a safe bet (their marketing reps take the time to visit the agents and will get things right if they go wrong at least). Some of the mom and pop shops do a better job, some don't, and of course the money stays local. Call your local insurance agent for a referral. I don't work Baton Rouge enough any more to pass judgement! :)

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    Airline Glass & Upholstery 225-647-1040 did a good job on my Jeep. I was happy with the price and work. I would use them again. I think I paid about $160-175 while Safelite was quoting around $475.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I have used Acadiana Glass and Tire in Prairieville for years and have never had a problem....probably 6 windshields in the last 10 years. I currently need mine replaced and got a quote of 245.00 for a 2012 F150 without the Ford logo on the shading. They have them in stock and I'm pretty sure they will have a GM full size truck/lSuburban etc in stock also.

Top Bottom