Hornady Case gage problem

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    After leaving the last Gonzalas gunshow I went to Cabelas and picked up a .308 Win Hornady case gage so I could start sizing brass and begin making test loads for the rifle I am building. I was having fits because I could not get any shells to fully drop in but they would chamber in my Mossberg Patriot . It had me thinking I was somehow not setting up my die properly or I was doing something else wrong. I ended up cleaning my die twice as well as the case gage. A factory Remington round would drop in no problem, but not my resized brass.
    I ended up loading a few things in the car and drove to Action Shooting Supply after checking to see that he was open. My resized brass that would not fully seat in the Hornady gage and would be slightly stuck dropped right in and out of a Dillion as well as a L.E. Wilson case gage. Ended up buying the Dillion gage and the Hornady will be going back to Cabelas. I will tell them it is out of spec but don't know if that will keep it from being put back on the shelf.

*die used is Lee FL sizing/decapping

Is this a one in a million bad one I ended up with or have others had a similar experiance.

Last edited:

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    You might just have a tight chamber and need to use a small base die. If you would like, send me a couple of cases plus return postage, I'll small base them and send back to you. PM me if I can help.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    You might just have a tight chamber and need to use a small base die. If you would like, send me a couple of cases plus return postage, I'll small base them and send back to you. PM me if I can help.

I was thinking at one point I might need a small base die. But when my brass that would not fit into the Hornady gage dropped right into A Dillion as well as a L.E. Wilson gage Mr. Tom and I determined the Hornady gage I got from Cabela's is out of spec.
    When I got home ALL 180 pieces that would not seat in the Hornady gage fit perfectly in the Dillion gage that came home with me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom