Model 10-4 vs. 10-5

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilssoon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bali
    A question occurred to me today. Perhaps someone with lots of experience of the M&P model in the 1960-1970 period can shed some light, since my collecting activities on the M&P don't go that late (I do own a few examples, but not enough to know much about them).

So here is the deal:

The 10-4 was introduced in 1962, beginning the three screw era on the tapered barrel Model 10 revolvers. The -4 continued to use the 1/10" front sight blade of the original Model 10.

Sometime in the same year (1962) the tapered barrel variant was given a wider front sight, measuring 1/8". This change was designated as the Model 10-5. The 10-5 was replaced in the lineup with the 10-7 in 1977.

We know that the 10-5 and 10-6 were made in tandem throughout the 1962-1977 period. The sight width on the heavy barrel variant had already changed before the -6 was introduced. That change went back to the -3 in 1961 on the heavy barrel Model 10.

So here is the question:
    When the wider width sight was introduced on the -5, did S&W stop making the -4 fairly quickly? Or did they produce the -4, -5, and -6 concurrently for a while? In other words, did the -4 have a very limited run, made for only about a year or less?

Any commentary based on facts is welcome. For example, does anyone have a -4 with a serial number indicating production later than 1962? Speculation won't help us much. Or do I need to pose this question directly to Roy? I may do that anyway.

huge.png

Top Bottom