9 mm Powder Question?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Titegroup - Inexpensive, small charges, accurate, meters well, burns fast but clean. For good and cheap accurate rounds try 4.0 grains with 124 grain bullets

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    What do you like and why?

I'm looking for recommendations on loading the mighty 9mm.

Would like a clean burning and accurate powder, The pill's are 124 grain's, Thanks

What kind of gun you will be shooting this in, and are you using jacketed, plated, coated, or plain lead projectiles?
    My jacketed load is 4.0 of Tightgroup at 1.085" OAL, Coated I use 3.6 gr of Bullseye.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    If you need some TiteGroup, Louisiana Gun has 8# jugs for $100/cash. Comes out to $12/lb. Best price around.
    We are at 12728 Jefferson Hwyin B R.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    If for some reason you can't find Titegroup, don't hamstring yourself with only one powder,
    I have been working with the 9mm Luger and the following powders:

Titegroup
    700X
    HP-38
    AA#5
    Unique
    Red Dot
    Bullseye
    AA#2

The reason for all this was the last powder shortage...what I wanted and what was on the shelf were two different things....I had to buy what was there and make it work.
    All of these work just fine.
    My favorite in the 9mm is Unique and Accurate Arms #5. Both are accurate and accurate is what I'm looking for in my loads.
    Gary

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    If for some reason you can't find Titegroup, don't hamstring yourself with only one powder,
    I have been working with the 9mm Luger and the following powders:

Titegroup
    700X
    HP-38
    AA#5
    Unique
    Red Dot
    Bullseye
    AA#2

The reason for all this was the last powder shortage...what I wanted and what was on the shelf were two different things....I had to buy what was there and make it work.
    All of these work just fine.
    My favorite in the 9mm is Unique and Accurate Arms #5. Both are accurate and accurate is what I'm looking for in my loads.
    Gary

Thanks man, I have some Unique on hand!

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    Another vote for Titegroup. 3.8gr under a 124gr Bayou Bullet at 1.15in makes 132pf (somewhere around 1060fps) out of my wife's XDM 5.25. It's a very easy shooting load, minimal recoil impulse, very low muzzle flash, accurate out of her pistol and my old CZ SP01.

I didn't care for RedDot in 9mm, especially with cast lead (was better with plated and coated), but had a bit of a pronounced muzzle flash (especially compared to TG) and was a little more snappy. I didn't care for W231 either, it was really dirty at those low 130-135pf loadings.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Winchester Autocomp and 124gr coated bullets have given me excellent results. Hodgdon CFE is another viable option.

1wise1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Carrollton, Texas
    I've been using Bullseye for 5 years. 3.8 to 4.2 grains 124 to 147 JHP ... and Donnie's Alligator Snot covered 124's. Glock 19 loves them, 26 loves them and Kel Tec Sub2K loves them. If you are a beginner, there's a lot to be said for sticking with one powder and one recipe until you build a solid routine.

Biggest mistake to avoid is double charging a shell.. get into a routine of weighing everything at first to overcome any distractions you might encounter. Dogs never bark and phone never rings until I'm half way through a pile of 250 reloads. You will be pleasantly surprised at how much money you will save and how relaxing reloading will be.

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Thanks man, I have some Unique on hand!

My most accurate loads have been with Unique. I'm going to reload 100 rounds this week end , 124 grain cast TC GC over 5.2 grains of Unique , seems to be just the ticket in my 9mm Luger . Give Unique a try , I like it in the 9mm.
    Gary

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    My most accurate loads have been with Unique. I'm going to reload 100 rounds this week end , 124 grain cast TC GC over 5.2 grains of Unique , seems to be just the ticket in my 9mm Luger . Give Unique a try , I like it in the 9mm.
    Gary

Thanks, I ran some yesterday from a 120 grain Lyman mold 358242A, sized at .357 and coated with Alox at 4.5 gr Unique
    A bit smoky but ran fine with no hiccups so far!

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Thanks, I ran some yesterday from a 120 grain Lyman mold 358242A, sized at .357 and coated with Alox at 4.5 gr Unique
    A bit smoky but ran fine with no hiccups so far!
    Unique is a medium burn range powder and needs a certain minimum amount of pressure to burn cleanly (or cleaner)
    4.5 grains is right on the low edge of it. I have found 4.7 grains , in an old WWII Walther P-38 , to be a fairly clean burning light load that doesn't batter the old pistol . 15 shots go into 1 1/2 inch one ragged hole group !
    Try 4.7....that extra 0.02 might do the trick and get things a little cleaner.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Unique is a medium burn range powder and needs a certain minimum amount of pressure to burn cleanly (or cleaner)
    4.5 grains is right on the low edge of it. I have found 4.7 grains , in an old WWII Walther P-38 , to be a fairly clean burning light load that doesn't batter the old pistol . 15 shots go into 1 1/2 inch one ragged hole group !
    Try 4.7....that extra 0.02 might do the trick and get things a little cleaner.

I'm running the load thru these old Berretta 92-S, Thanks for the tip, I'll bump it up to 4.7 gr.

Attachments

• IMAG01322.jpg
      IMAG01322.jpg
      260.7 KB · Views: 119

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom