Tomorrow, april 17, is the big day at the capitol!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Soooo, in conclusion. All the anti-gun bills on today's agenda were voted down by their respective committees except SB185 which was voluntarily deferred by it's author. That was the bill which sought to let local govts enact whatever gun laws they wanted.

The only other one left that I am watching is the big brother ammo database bill which as far as I know is still not on an agenda schedule yet.

Probably won't see it this Session. It is less likely to pass than some of these today.

That is; unless they have a designated day up there called, "republicans don't go to work" day! ;)

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thank you gentlemen for the updates. I did my part and emailed the people on the committee who were working on SB185 I didn’t get any responses back but that doesn’t surprise me. Hey Emperor, I just want to know I enjoy reading your post. Your mastery of the English language brings a smile to my face.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...cle_18defada-4199-11e8-bedd-7332da802314.html

Just saw the above. It's an opinion letter from two of the N.O. City Councilmembers who call SB185 a reasonable request for the city of New Orleans to have its own gun laws because the rural areas of the state don't have the same problems as New Orleans.

The Bill would allow local laws in cities with populations between 300,000 and 400,000 - laws like mandatory reporting of lost or stolen guns, mandatory child-safety gun storage laws, regulation of where and how people could carry, etc. In other words, it's not as narrowly tailored as they claim it is.

Keep an eye on this, as I suspect they will try to tack it on to some other bill as an amendment during a floor vote.

Push all of your senators and representatives to vote it down.

(Aside to Emperor: All I ever get from them are form replies or blank stares.)

stoic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2008
    My, my...how people forget. Citizens have short memories. I'm not sure why SB 185 could even be passed given its history, but, it's time to remember. Why don't journalists remember too?

La. Rev. Stat. Sec. 40:1796, which SB 185 hopes to amend, was passed during the Clinton Regime after New Orleans Mayor Morial and a coalition of other Liberal Democrat cities began a campaign of urban gun control that also led to an active attack against Gun Manufacturers. Through the backdoor of civil lawsuits, they had hoped to bankrupt Gun Manufacturers by perpetually taxing them with excessive legal fees. La. Rev. Stat. Sec. 40:1796 was passed to combat restrictive laws by this coalition of gun grabbers.

It's ironic that criminal laws clearly already exist on the books in Orleans Parish which prohibit criminal acts and we already have a Federal Scheme of Gun Control that prohibits criminals and the mentally ill from purchasing firearms. Yet, New Orleans still has the highest crime rates? I wonder why? All of these laws are intended to disarm lawful citizens and do nothing to prevent criminals from doing crime. Is NY safer after NY passed the Orwellian "double-speak" named NY Safe Act? Nope. Criminals still commit crimes and the only difference is that lawful citizens are denied the right of meaningful self-defense against these dirtbags.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...cle_18defada-4199-11e8-bedd-7332da802314.html

Just saw the above. It's an opinion letter from two of the N.O. City Councilmembers who call SB185 a reasonable request for the city of New Orleans to have its own gun laws because the rural areas of the state don't have the same problems as New Orleans.

The Bill would allow local laws in cities with populations between 300,000 and 400,000 - laws like mandatory reporting of lost or stolen guns, mandatory child-safety gun storage laws, regulation of where and how people could carry, etc. In other words, it's not as narrowly tailored as they claim it is.

Keep an eye on this, as I suspect they will try to tack it on to some other bill as an amendment during a floor vote.

Push all of your senators and representatives to vote it down.

(Aside to Emperor: All I ever get from them are form replies or blank stares.)

I sent some pretty inflammatory emails to the democrats sponsoring these Bills. Believe it or not Representative Pat Smith of Baton Rouge did not let it go. She had the bump stock Bill and wrote me back. We had a few back and forth emails and I must say that I respect her for actually debating the issue with me. I don't subscribe to most of her political views, but she at least proved to me that she is not afraid to discuss issues. And that is a refreshing change as politicians go!

I will say, she at least knew what her Bill was for!

stoic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2008
    I sent some pretty inflammatory emails to the democrats sponsoring these Bills. Believe it or not Representative Pat Smith of Baton Rouge did not let it go. She had the bump stock Bill and wrote me back. We had a few back and forth emails and I must say that I respect her for actually debating the issue with me. I don't subscribe to most of her political views, but she at least proved to me that she is not afraid to discuss issues. And that is a refreshing change as politicians go!

I will say, she at least knew what her Bill was for!

So, how many "bumpstocks" have been involved in actual crimes in Louisiana? Did she have data about that issue since she's spending valuable legislative time (or wasting time) representing the interests of her constituents, and, presumably attempting to improve their lives and the lives of all Louisiana citizens with her bumpstock law? What's her view on the supremacy of our State's social contract, both the Louisiana Constitution and the Federal Constitution, and its affirmation of the fundamental right to keep and bear arms? How does she feel about her oath of office to support and defend these Constitutions while in legislative office.

Frankly, our system of government all depends upon one thing: the sanctity of an oath and whether you'll abide by it. If all branches of government pay lip-service to the oath, then our Constitution and social contract fails.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom