.300 whisper ammo question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1Mudduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2018
    Abbeville
    Just purchased a .300 blackout whisper and I’m not sure about ammo can I shoot the 300 blackout or does it have to be whisper ammo
    This was kind of a impulse buy , thought it was all the same as the 300 blackout as I’m trying to build a rifle for my son to hog hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Both my books list same loads for both. I think it was a case of 300 whisper was a wildcat, that was picked up and made commercially. And walla 300blk was born. As they could not call it whisper. Thus 300 Blackout is a factory commercial load. If in doubt call Hornady.
    I have been wrong before, Just ask my wife

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    What is the barrel marked? Probably Blackout. I think there is a slight difference in the throat between the two, I've been told (unverified) that you can shoot Whisper in Blackout bu not the reverse. As I have a Blackout, I've shot Whisper with no problems.

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    340six is actually very close. 300 whisper was developed by SSK Industries for use in 1992. This whisper cartridge was followed by seven or eight others. SSK is still in business and makes custom barrels, mostly for Thompson center pistols and rifles. But, they still own all the rights to the term whisper and it’s use in firearms. So, industry thought that there was a big demand for the round developed the blackout. There are some very minor differences between the two, but most guns will shoot either safely. I have several pistol and rifle barrels as well as AR uppers. My dies and brass is all whisper. Shoots perfectly in both.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Gonna just wing it here, the description of the gun is vague.
    If the gun is actually marked ‘300 Blackout whisper’ I’d believe that it’s actually a BLK and they are able to feed and fire whisper ammo. Not so the other way around.
    Is this a AR based rifle? Bolt action? Crack barrel?
    The 300 whisper pretty much died out years ago. AAC (whether folks wanna believe it or not) took the idea and breathed new life into it at the right time and it is still taking off.
    So, a true whisper rifle wouldn’t know anything about AAC/Blackout because they are decades apart. Again, you can fire 300 whisper ammo in a blackout rifle. If you can find and afford that ammo.
    But I’d put my money on some Blackout. I’ve been loading my own hunting ammo for a couple years and like it better than any commercial loads, but they all seem geared toward the AR platform. I load mostly for my bolt guns to shoot suppressed so I wanted a lighter, faster bullet to maximize the range and I got it. 168gr ballistic tip doing just under 1100 fps and very accurate. Maybe one day commercial loads will catch up

d6f5a79c6393f0ce1bc83a71ff8cea73.jpg

af2d7067eda3b77b1812f6c81b6c4619.jpg

2a8161e8a07fb838ac31dcdd3e8c52be.jpg

4a2541d2a5f50bfa285e45a8603ff820.jpg

39ca209af2ce9beb6a8e6457a916de77.jpg

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    These nosler bullets are great too. They are also 168gr and I load them to supersonic for hunting with the AR’s mostly. All in all they are better defense and hunting rounds than any I can buy and it’s costing me less.
    2a311eee646ebe1d4e912666d2a9ab85.jpg

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Gonna just wing it here, the description of the gun is vague.
    If the gun is actually marked ‘300 Blackout whisper’ I’d believe that it’s actually a BLK and they are able to feed and fire whisper ammo. Not so the other way around.
    Is this a AR based rifle? Bolt action? Crack barrel?
    The 300 whisper pretty much died out years ago. AAC (whether folks wanna believe it or not) took the idea and breathed new life into it at the right time and it is still taking off.
    So, a true whisper rifle wouldn’t know anything about AAC/Blackout because they are decades apart. Again, you can fire 300 whisper ammo in a blackout rifle. If you can find and afford that ammo.
    But I’d put my money on some Blackout. I’ve been loading my own hunting ammo for a couple years and like it better than any commercial loads, but they all seem geared toward the AR platform. I load mostly for my bolt guns to shoot suppressed so I wanted a lighter, faster bullet to maximize the range and I got it. 168gr ballistic tip doing just under 1100 fps and very accurate. Maybe one day commercial loads will catch up

d6f5a79c6393f0ce1bc83a71ff8cea73.jpg

af2d7067eda3b77b1812f6c81b6c4619.jpg

2a8161e8a07fb838ac31dcdd3e8c52be.jpg

4a2541d2a5f50bfa285e45a8603ff820.jpg

39ca209af2ce9beb6a8e6457a916de77.jpg

How many grains of the CFE BLK? Something in between 10.0-11.0 ?

1Mudduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2018
    Abbeville
    Haven’t been around to reply ,but thanks guys for the info , I’m out of state right now to look at the actual barrel but I purchased this upper kit from Davidson Defense
    Their .300 blackout Whisper is what I purchased if any of you want to check it out on the website.... I have since emailed them only to have them reply to me saying yes I can shoot blackout rounds in it but stay with brass casing .... if this makes sense
    Thanks...

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    You can’t buy whisper rounds commercially anyway. The only diff is the neck on blackout is a very tiny bit longer. So, there is a concern in shooting hot blk in a whisper gun of over pressure. SSK still makes lots of whisper barrels and are very well known.
    The best thing to do is reload this round. You can get so much more out of it. Have killed many deer w my SSK whisper barrel. You can load small light bullet super sonic or big heavy bully’s subsonic. Very little recoil. Perfect for a kids first deer rifle.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    You can’t buy whisper rounds commercially anyway. The only diff is the neck on blackout is a very tiny bit longer. So, there is a concern in shooting hot blk in a whisper gun of over pressure. SSK still makes lots of whisper barrels and are very well known.
    The best thing to do is reload this round. You can get so much more out of it. Have killed many deer w my SSK whisper barrel. You can load small light bullet super sonic or big heavy bully’s subsonic. Very little recoil. Perfect for a kids first deer rifle.
    I’ve seen 300 Whisper ammo on the shelf. Even at Bass Pro. Just not as available and definitely more expensive

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Yes, but it is rare. Probably should have not said "can't".
    You aren't typically going to find it . especially since BLK came out.
    Bottom line is that the differences are extremely minor. What works in my whisper barrels works just fine in my ar BLK barrels. All my dies and brass makers which can convert 221 fireball or 223 cases into whisper work great.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Haven’t been around to reply ,but thanks guys for the info , I’m out of state right now to look at the actual barrel but I purchased this upper kit from Davidson Defense
    Their .300 blackout Whisper is what I purchased if any of you want to check it out on the website.... I have since emailed them only to have them reply to me saying yes I can shoot blackout rounds in it but stay with brass casing .... if this makes sense
    Thanks...

you have a 300 BLK upper there.

Top Bottom