DADDY'S Vintage 1980 Distinguished Combat 357 MAGNUM - $1,100

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LadyT

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2018
    Slidell, LA
    SOLD Smith & Wesson Model 586 - Distinguished Combat Magnum SOLD
    1) 6-inch barrel
    2) Floating firing pin
    3) Trigger & timing done by Jerry Miculek in 1980
    4) African cocobolo Smith & Wesson custom grips
    5) 4-speed loaders
    6) Approximately 500 rounds of ammunition

-- My dad bought this gun in 1980; he left it to me in his will. Upon research, they don’t make them like this any longer. My mom told me that dad had custom work done to the gun by a guy named Jerry Miculek in 1980. Less than 50 rounds to test and harvest several white-tail deer. And there this beauty sat until now. The newer models run around $900, but I am asking $1,100. They make what’s called *a new model*, which I discovered that collectors ARE NOT INTERESTED IN. The gun my dad left me (this one) is the one that is most desired by collectors. The gun is in 100% pristine condition. So if you're looking for a piece of history, then this is as good as it gets. For serious inquires, contact my husband, Terance, at (601) 463-1311.
    IMG-0834.jpgIMG-0833.jpg

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Don't know if you were aware of a recall on these pistols (the no-dash and dash 1 versions). You can google "S&W 586 recall" for additional information. Not particularly a safety issue, just a function problem. I found this:

"The no dash guns were recalled to avoid a situation where the cylinder would lock up due to high pressures of the magnum cartridges. S&W indicates thet you can shoot all the .38 SPL and +p .38 SPL ammo you want but without the recall modifications being done there is that risk of the cylinder locking up. I have a model 686 no dash and I sent it in for the modification. Having the modification will not affect the value of your gun at all since it's a repair to a recall and it gets done at the factory. I bought my revolver so I could shoot full house .357 loads. The recall makes sure I can without any concerns.

It took 9 days from door to door and cost me nothing. S&W covered all of the costs including supplying the shipping label need to ship the gun to them. Because they are an FFL you can ship directly to them and back to your door without involving another FFL dealer.

S&W uses FedEx and the gun MUST be shipped out of a real FedEx station and not a FedEx store.

When it's shipped back to you S&W will require an adult signature for receipt of the gun (It can be any adult signing for it). They will only allow two attempts at delivery, so if an adult won't be there when it's delivered, you'll have a terrible time getting your gun back. FedEx will not allow alternate delivery addressing. It must be delivered to the specific address or picked up at the main FedEx station. It can't be shipped or received thru a FedEx store like the FedEx/Kinko's across the country
    I'm never home during normal FedEx delivery times, so I had them ship the gun to my work address where I could receive it without any additional delays."

That's an attractive pistol, I had one like it and regret letting it go. And no, I didn't have the mod done on mine as I was only shooting .38.

Free bump for a nice weapon.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    if you have documentation for the work done by jerry Miculek it will increase the value/intrest for some collectors.

LadyT

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2018
    Slidell, LA
    Dear Sir ! Why did you post this negative information about my Dad's gun and put clouds on my attempt to sell his revolver ? My father was a great gun man and he taught us that if we had nothing positive to say then say nothing at all.. My Dad was a man of integrity and what ever fire arms he kept were the best that money could but at that time. Now i have to repost my attempt to sell dad's gun to clear the cloud you put on our add.. That was very rude ! Thanks but no thanks.........

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Dear Sir ! Why did you post this negative information about my Dad's gun and put clouds on my attempt to sell his revolver ? My father was a great gun man and he taught us that if we had nothing positive to say then say nothing at all.. My Dad was a man of integrity and what ever fire arms he kept were the best that money could but at that time. Now i have to repost my attempt to sell dad's gun to clear the cloud you put on our add.. That was very rude ! Thanks but no thanks.........

If it needs a mod to handle magnum loads why would you want to withhold that info from a potential buyer?

If you called Smith & Wesson customer service with the serial number, they can probably tell you when it was built, where it was shipped, and whether its ever been back to them for the mod.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.

That is the standard protocol on this forum. If u monitor this website regularly you would know that. There is always someone that will shoot you down even if you were giving away free vintage Colt Pythons.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

The comment regarding the recall does not appear to be rude. In fact, the poster commented the handgun in question, even wishing he still had his. The comment provided relevant information a potential buyer should have in order to make a well-informed decision. The comment was not directed toward the specific handgun being offered for sale. The fact that S&W issued a recall does not affect your father's character. Your father may have gotten the work done on the handgun. The recall may not have applied to him so he may not have gotten the work done. He may not have know about the recall. But it is a fact that there was a recall and facts are neither positive nor negative.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

This post has done much more harm to the ad.........

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    This post has done much more harm to the ad.........

I completely agree with you, man! This beautiful piece caught my attention immediately. I even showed the post to a friend of mine who is a serious collector and goes bonkers for items like this one, and he was interested in making an offer. But after reading such a bizarre response and temper tantrum from the OP, neither one of us want anything to do with the seller. So, you are 100% correct in saying that the response has done way more harm.

CAJUNLAWYER

crusty old bastard
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Iberia Parish

Please understand that ANYONE who knows and appreciates S&W revolvers like the one you are selling knows about the recall and it doesn't affect the price of the gun at all. The poster is pointing this out to anyone (and you) for informational purposes only. The recall is FREE-even the shipping both ways is on S&W's nickle. The fact that Jerry Miculek did some timing and a little honing work on the gun really doesn't have much effect on the price to a collector as he did this type of work on scores of guns. Check gunbroker for prices on COMPLETED auctions to get an idea on the realistic selling price for this gun. If you want, I suggest you go to the smith-wessonforum.com and post it in their classifided with some better pictures-you might sell it a lot faster and closer to the price you want as tose guys (myself included) are serious Smith-o-files. I do echo the previous comments, the gun is a beauty and the grips are what is going to sell the gun. Alone they fo for $250-$300. DOn't separate them.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just had the same recall done on my no-dash 686 (same gun in stainless steel). True to Smith & Wesson's word, they paid for the cost of the repair and shipping in both directions. They also did a really nice job of cleaning it up, checking the timing, etc. It's going to the range with me tomorrow and I expect it to be every bit as delightful to shoot as it was before.

It's a testament to Smith & Wesson that they'll stand behind their products like this, and this in no way detracts from the value of this gun. The 581/586/681/686 guns were among the finest revolvers that Smith ever made, and this particular gun was made using many of the "old school" techniques that sadly aren't practiced anymore.

Mike

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom