help sound proofing bedroom walls.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    i want to stop outside noise like traffic, neighbors, those annoying kids with heavy base music, ect.

i tried looking at amazon but can't seem to find something to block noise, its all for studios sound enhancement. search "sound proofing" does not work.

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    There's a product I used to sell to deaden engine noise on aircraft firewalls, but it was originally intended for RVs! Sold it in rolls - outside layers were heavy aluminum foil with what looks like packing blanket material. Worked great. Can't remember the brand name.

Found it;
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminized-Heat-and-Noise-Insulation-Shield-Double-Sided,32193.html?sku=91080249&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk8iDl4XJ2gIVEx2BCh0aIganEAYYAiABEgJCz_D_BwE

Last edited:

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Hope you have a lot of money.

main_dynamat.jpg

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Find out what Chick-Fil-A uses for their playrooms -- incredible that they can have 16 kids screaming in there and you sit right outside and barely hear them!!! I want my whole house made out of that chit!!! hahahah:rofl:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Spray foam or cellulose insulation can be blown into the cavities between the wall studs . This technique was used on a law office being built next to an interstate hwy. The owner reports he cannot hear any outside noise. Windows should be double or triple pane insulated type for best results.
    For a House that has no wall insulation , holes can be cut just below the top plate and the cavities filled with spray cellulose or foam insulation , then the holes are patched and painted ....not as effective as when installed during construction. Attic insulation is not a problem.
    There are several ways to sound deaden , existing conditions and budget have to be taken into account.
    Personally I'm a fan of spray closed cell foam . I just had some insulation done in my 1929 constructed home .
    I can give you his name and # if interested. They did an excellent job, I'm pleased.
    Gary

Last edited:

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    Cheapest best fix I know is carpet.We used it to block the outrageous
    sound of a band practicing in a garage.

Basically,take old used carpet and double it up if you can,the thicker
    the better.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Cheapest best fix I know is carpet.We used it to block the outrageous
    sound of a band practicing in a garage.

Basically,take old used carpet and double it up if you can,the thicker
    the better.
    Back in the late 1960's early 1970's we put the reddest, longest super thick shag carpet on the walls in a "rumpus room" ...with the Lava Lamps it was Cool Man ....We threw some outrageous parties, tie dyed tee shirts , bell bottom jeans, free love was everywhere.... I hear shag carpet is coming back in style...do the walls with acoustical tiles on the ceiling!
    Gary

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My answer also a question? How far are you willing to go?
    My Master is next to the home that puts a crated dog for days at a time in the ceramic tilled sun room. It barks. Yes they have food and water it it but is caged.
    She that her son taked it out few time a day to go but does not. So It barks and barks.
    They have now moved.
    But I took the walls out the whole wall on that side and put lots Of fiberglass insulation in. Then new sheet rock. Textured and painted, Instaed of thin wood doors I put in mirrored on that whole side. Also makes the room bigger.
    The master bath is also on that side so pulled the tub. Put in a new a cast iron one. Hung 1/2" USG cemenet board. And installed 5/8" thick 18" x 18" Porcaline Tile on it with MuiltFlex. On all 4 walls.
    I resrospect I should have done the Cement boatrd on all extreior walls and taped and floated it with MiltiFlex. Then textured, and painted in the whole home.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If you have drywall or paneling on studs , there's only limited relief for you . Sound is vibration and it will travel through the wood framing and wall covering . There are very effective methods out there but they are done during construction .
    Double pane windows and whatever ugly crap you want to hang on the wall are your options now unless you want to do some demo work .

Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    What you are looking for is called mass loaded vinyl. You will want 1lb per sq ft or heavier. Not very cheap either. You will also need a thin layer of preferably ensolite foam to lay the vinyl on top. And it goes behind the sheetrock. I soundproofed my car and it was $700 in materials only. Mass loaded vinyl is sold by certain insulation and construction supply companies. I bought mine online but eagle insulation in New Orleans carries it locally and price isn't that bad honestly either. Do it once and do it right.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    First thing I would check is the windows, and make sure you have at least double pane windows. Then if you have the means, re-do the insulation in your walls. I do not hear any cars or traffic from my bedroom. Then again, there aren't any teenagers living around my house "disturbing the peace"

But my walls are well insulated, to the point I cannot hear my washing machine or dryer from my bedroom (which are in the room next to my bedroom).

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lej1608
    Top Bottom