Rifle appraisals

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Key Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2013
    Gretna, LA
    Hello. I would like to help a friend who has inherited a couple of Mosin Nagant rifles and a Japanese Arisaka rifle from World War II.
    If a member could recommend someone who can give a fair appraisal from the metro New Orleans area to the Baton Rouge area; it would be appreciated.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    If you want to post photos I will give you ball park info, be advised that most Mosin rifles are in the 150-200 range and Arisakas are around 200-500 with variables for condition,model and so on. The more detail in photos the more info I can give.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Thanks for the information. I'm sort of embarrassed but where is Arm's Merchant located?

Mandeville, LA.

If you take the Causeway from Metairie, it is about 2 miles from the foot of the bridge in Mandeville.

2623 Hwy 190 East Service Rd, Mandeville, LA 70471

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've always been curious why people want to get guns appraised. It seems to me like a strange effort, given that the market for various firearms fluctuates, and the same gun could get two very different prices depending on the venue it's being sold at, the direction the wind blew that day, etc.

I guess there could be value in it if the appraiser has specific knowledge of a particular type of firearm (in this case, they're experts on Mosins or Arisakas), and the appraisal would detail at length the exact variant of gun in question.

The other problem is what the appraisal will be used for. Is it meant to denote the replacement value? Or the value that the arm might fetch at sale? Or some other value? Most insurance companies won't care a whole lot about an appraisal, since they'll want to do their own independent valuation of the property before compensating for a loss.

Not to suggest that this is a bad idea, but I had to see your friend's good money thrown at something that won't actually bring him lot of value.

Mike

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    In the event that the owner of the firearms passes, their heirs will have knowledge of a ballpark price to sell them if they so choose.

While you may not have a need for appraisals, it doesn't mean everyone else will not either.

The Key Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2013
    Gretna, LA
    I would like to thank everyone for their advice. I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, been busy at work. My friend sold his rifles last Wednesday. He didn't say how much he received for the rifles, but he's happy with the deal he made.

Last edited:

AdamP123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2018
    PA
    I would not trust anyone to appraise my rifles. I suggest you do your own research and check out the selling prices of those rifles.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    In my experience, appraisals on anything are usually for replacement purposes, as in insurance or some other reason that the approximate value needs to be documented for the record, on paper, from a formal person considered by a court or company to be legitimate and a professional whose opinion of said value would be accepted. Not so often for sale purposes.
    That being said, thank you God almighty for not letting that crooked divorce attorney ask the judge to have me appraise my firearms collection those years ago.

Last edited:

suthurnman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2017
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I do firearm appraisals quite often. They're usually for estate valuations and almost exclusively for lawyers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BigJake - do you do appraisals of modern firearms or for antique (pre-1900) ? I know of an estate that needs a firearms evaluation (pre-1900). Thanks

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i had an insurance policy in 2002 that required a notarized written appraisal for each firearm on the policy. back then gun shops were charging $20 per gun, pawn shops $10.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom