guys with lifted trucks, chime in....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    So I ordered a lift kit today for my 94 Explorer. Nothing major, just a small 2" suspension lift. Its time for me to replace my shocks as well, so I figured I'd do it with the lift kit. I mainly drive on the street, but do occasionally hit the woods down in Buras at a friends house, so some actual offroad capability is a must. This isn't going to be for show like alot of the lifted vehicles around here. What shocks would you recommend?

I'll be upgrading my tires from the Cooper Street tires I have now, to something more capable like a simple BF Goodrich All-Terrain or something of the like soon after.... I recently took wheels off my Mustang to run on the truck for now, due to poor tires. lol..

Last edited:

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    No suggestion on shocks, but the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 is a good tire for the street and occasional off road. I'm thinking about trying Discoverer S/T Maxx next time, but probably more aggressive than I need.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    ...the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 is a good tire for the street and occasional off road.
    I'll second the cooper tires. My off road excursions are similar in that it is the course of hunting and fishing. I put Rancho Quicklifts on my F150 and they sell the shocks separately. Had them for about 5 years and got a little shimmy from a worn out bushing...Rancho replaced under warranty. Did a plus 1 on the tires. Nothing extreme and had no clearance issues. Good luck.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Measure your shock travel and order longer shocks accordingly. If your shocks dont have enough travel you will damage them

Check out the bilsten 5100 series

Last edited:

ArtieD

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Meraux, La
    Fox shocks, toyo open country tires or nitto Tera grapplers. Feeling like dumping some cash get some king coil overs and maxxis treppadors lol

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Adjust your headlights. You guys with lifted trucks are blinding everybody on the road at night with your low beams shining directly into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

I didn't go to law school but if I remember the law correctly, the center of the headlight must be between 18 and 54 inches off the ground.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    2015 2500HD did leveling kit added about 2.5" in lift and went with BFG KO2 tires. Very happy with the lift kit used Rough Country, the tires are great no noise on the hwy and ive put the truck thru some serious mud and have not come close to getting stuck yet.

Tweek

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    madisonville, louisiana
    +1 for the bilsteins, I run them on an old straight axle chevy and it rides pretty decent for ancient technology. Also another vote for cooper tires, I love my 37" stt pros.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I like my Cooper AT3's on my F150, very streetable, the light offroading I've done (cow pasture and hunting camp) have been fine. I wanted the BFG K02's but didn't want to step up to a light truck tire and kill my ride/mpg when I don't haul heavy. My dad has them on his F250 and likes them though.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    If everything is factory still now is the time to replace every suspension component under it. All of it. Front and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Thanks for suggestions everyone... I've been doing some reading on all the brands you've mentioned, and I think I'm going to go with the Cooper all terrain tire previously mentioned and the bilsteins. I've got a pretty light/small SUV so the combo should work well. And yeah Sandman, I'm definitely doing some other maintenance and upgrades at the same time... Especially lower control arms with new ball joints.... We all know how Fords like to destroy ball joints. Lol

Last edited:
    Top Bottom