CC in a purse question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Whether it was prior to the rewritten verbiage or not, it's the case law that Jake said didn't exist.

Good find @GunAddict. I didn't think case law would actually exist on this. So now we know that written law and case law support the fact that concealing a firearm without a permit, in Louisiana, is illegal and should not be done, encouraged, or justified.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Same with the man-bag? Asking for a friend. ;)

Excuse me but they are now referred to as ... Men's Day Bag " ! Man purse is for " politically incorrect words" that I can't type here .
    I saw some "Day Bags" going for $100.00...now I can tell my wife every time you get a new purse I can get a new "Day Bag "...lets see how that works out.

Another thought is a brick in the "Day Bag" would make a heck of a non firearm weapon...slam somebody upside the head with your brick loaded bag and knock that sucker out .
    Gary

Last edited:

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Inside your home a firearm has no other designation other than a "movable" or personal property. Therefore you can keep it or store it in any fashion you consider necessary. The ownership of the firearm is covered by the 2nd amendment, and the state constitution, this same set of statutes will also cover you while you are in your vehicle. All of the laws that prohibit concealed weapons or the concealing of firearms have a direct correlation with being in public.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I am an attorney, and this is clearly incorrect. The fact is, the law against carrying a concealed weapon makes no exception for being in your home or in your vehicle.

You have made several references to "common sense". Unfortunately, common sense has nothing to do with the law.

Anytime someone asks a question regarding the law, such as "can you do this...", or "is it legal to..", we can only rationally discuss the law as it actually exists, in statute and how it has been applied in case law. It truly is not relevant what common sense would dictate, or what the law "ought to be". That is an entirely different discussion. Likewise, when those types of questions are asked, the person asking the question is not asking "what is the likelihood of me getting caught doing this", or "what is the likelihood of me being prosecuted for doing this". Those are valid points of discussion, and valid points to consider when you are making decisions about your behavior. But they are entirely irrelevant to the question of "what the law is".

For example, you may drive 77 MPH in a 70 MPH zone, and the likelihood of you getting caught, or stopped, or prosecuted, is all very low. But it is clearly illegal to drive 77 MPH in an 70 MPH zone. If someone asks "is it legal to drive over the posted speed limit?", the correct answer is not "yes, it is legal, because you are highly unlikely to be stopped".

As for being inside your house not being a crime "affecting the public", try using that argument if you are caught selling drugs, raping, murdering, etc., BUT while in your home. There is no relevance to where you are, as far as the legality of the action. It certainly is relevant as far as your likelihood of getting caught.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I am an attorney, and this is clearly incorrect. The fact is, the law against carrying a concealed weapon makes no exception for being in your home or in your vehicle.

You have made several references to "common sense". Unfortunately, common sense has nothing to do with the law.

Anytime someone asks a question regarding the law, such as "can you do this...", or "is it legal to..", we can only rationally discuss the law as it actually exists, in statute and how it has been applied in case law. It truly is not relevant what common sense would dictate, or what the law "ought to be". That is an entirely different discussion. Likewise, when those types of questions are asked, the person asking the question is not asking "what is the likelihood of me getting caught doing this", or "what is the likelihood of me being prosecuted for doing this". Those are valid points of discussion, and valid points to consider when you are making decisions about your behavior. But they are entirely irrelevant to the question of "what the law is".

For example, you may drive 77 MPH in a 70 MPH zone, and the likelihood of you getting caught, or stopped, or prosecuted, is all very low. But it is clearly illegal to drive 77 MPH in an 70 MPH zone. If someone asks "is it legal to drive over the posted speed limit?", the correct answer is not "yes, it is legal, because you are highly unlikely to be stopped".

As for being inside your house not being a crime "affecting the public", try using that argument if you are caught selling drugs, raping, murdering, etc., BUT while in your home. There is no relevance to where you are, as far as the legality of the action. It certainly is relevant as far as your likelihood of getting caught.

Thank you for posting and clarifying everything.

Top Bottom