CC in a purse question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I was just reading on another sight about CC'ing and the deal about a purse came up.

I think I heard awhile back where a woman could carry in a purse without a CHP. Was that right or was I hearing things?

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I was just reading on another sight about CC'ing and the deal about a purse came up.

I think I heard awhile back where a woman could carry in a purse without a CHP. Was that right or was I hearing things?
    Hearing things. If she has the purse in the car then it would be ok. As soon as she would leave the confines of the house or the car then she would need a chp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    That's what I was told as well. Concealed is concealed. In the car is ok. Was told same goes for range bags no loaded guns in them.
    Not that you should have one in a range bag! But I do have piles of mags loaded.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    You can have a loaded gun anywhere in your vehicle without a CHP, so long as it is not on your person. To have it concealed ON YOUR PERSON, you need a Louisiana CHP.

Legally I can have a trunk full of loaded AK's.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You can have a loaded gun anywhere in your vehicle without a CHP, so long as it is not on your person. To have it concealed ON YOUR PERSON, you need a Louisiana CHP.

Legally I can have a trunk full of loaded AK's.
    Sorry, this is incorrect. If it is in your vehicle, on your person or under the seat, it is covered under the movables law. It would be no different than you having it on yourself under your own roof. When you exit your vehicle you will need your CHP, because you're no longer under the provisions of the law. This only works in LA. The laws are different in every state.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Concealed is conceled... But wo defines a range bag and who defines a purse... Everyday millions of people carry pistols in range bags, zipper pouches; booksacs ect to and from the range, friends house ect and never charged with illegal concealed carry without a permit, so why would a purse be any diff?? Don't get me wrong I have a "chp" and I think you should also for purse carry but if you really look into it, what define a purse? Is it anything that can hold a phone and wallet? Ect

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Also unless the law has changed you are allowed to conceal a firearm on you from point "a" to point "b" without "a" permit... point "a" to point "b" to point "c" is illegal... In other words you can conceal a pistol on you, walk get in your car, drive to your family's house and get out and walk in with it concealed, but also it applies to you being on personal property and in you vehicle the whole time. The second you get out at a gas station/Walmart ect that makes it a point a/b/c

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Also unless the law has changed you are allowed to conceal a firearm on you from point "a" to point "b" without "a" permit... point "a" to point "b" to point "c" is illegal... In other words you can conceal a pistol on you, walk get in your car, drive to your family's house and get out and walk in with it concealed, but also it applies to you being on personal property and in you vehicle the whole time. The second you get out at a gas station/Walmart ect that makes it a point a/b/c
    This is where the unspecified part of the law gives way to the "intent" portion. Intent is what is objective. All I can say is use some common sense. If you're going from the car to the house, the house to the car, the truck to the range, the truck to the hunting camp,...... then you can explain this to anyone that may have an issue with it. If you're walking thru Walmart, the grocery store, in the park, ........ then you're going to have one heck of a time trying to convince anyone that there was no intent to conceal. When I teach class I explain the laws (as required by state statute) but I also explain that, at the end of the day, you want to be going home to sleep in your own bed, not to the parish establishment sharing a badly lit cell with your new friend...... Using common sense can usually facilitate this outcome. Trying to prove you're right under the law (that the responding officer may or may not understand) is usually going to get you a set of bracelets and free ride in the back seat of a crappy car.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You're correct.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Concealed is conceled... But wo defines a range bag and who defines a purse... Everyday millions of people carry pistols in range bags, zipper pouches; booksacs ect to and from the range, friends house ect and never charged with illegal concealed carry without a permit, so why would a purse be any diff?? Don't get me wrong I have a "chp" and I think you should also for purse carry but if you really look into it, what define a purse? Is it anything that can hold a phone and wallet? Ect

Who defines a range bag vs a purse? I do. How do I tell the difference? I look at the totality of circumstances. Part of that is the intent or the perceived intent. Are you bringing it from point A to point B as you noted above? Or are you doing things and you have it concealed? If you're going to the range or your friend's house, it's reasonable to say you will leave the range bag in the car when you go into Home Depot. If you're using your purse as a range bag, either leave the purse when you go into Home Depot or take the gun out. In general, if you are going to the range/gun store/friend's house, there's very little time when you've got it concealed and you aren't in your vehicle. But pookie hanging out on the corner of Bourbon St at 2 in the morning, it's reasonable to say he's not on his way to the rages and is just getting a head start.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Sorry, this is incorrect. If it is in your vehicle, on your person or under the seat, it is covered under the movables law. It would be no different than you having it on yourself under your own roof. When you exit your vehicle you will need your CHP, because you're no longer under the provisions of the law. This only works in LA. The laws are different in every state.

Can you point me to the exception that allows you to conceal carry without a permit in your home, or in your car under the "movables law"? I am not aware of any such exception.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    about the best way to put it there, that intent is a tricky situation and can go in anybodys favor depending on convenience

This is where the unspecified part of the law gives way to the "intent" portion. Intent is what is objective. All I can say is use some common sense. If you're going from the car to the house, the house to the car, the truck to the range, the truck to the hunting camp,...... then you can explain this to anyone that may have an issue with it. If you're walking thru Walmart, the grocery store, in the park, ........ then you're going to have one heck of a time trying to convince anyone that there was no intent to conceal. When I teach class I explain the laws (as required by state statute) but I also explain that, at the end of the day, you want to be going home to sleep in your own bed, not to the parish establishment sharing a badly lit cell with your new friend...... Using common sense can usually facilitate this outcome. Trying to prove you're right under the law (that the responding officer may or may not understand) is usually going to get you a set of bracelets and free ride in the back seat of a crappy car.

I will say this, im not advocating illegal concealed carry, but I have had an active "CHP" for 13 years and am very active in my role of utilizing my permit, and I have never had anybody question me about a firearm on me by family, friends, strangers, officers ect... If you maintain the proper attitude, carry yourself properly, act like a normal citizen (what that is these days IDK), 99.999% of the time you wont have a conflict.. and you will go on through you day the same as if you got a pack of gum in your pocket. But as bigjake said, if you do get caught, your future will not be decided by you....

Last edited:

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Can you point me to the exception that allows you to conceal carry without a permit in your home, or in your car under the "movables law"? I am not aware of any such exception.

I have not seen such an exception in any Louisiana law. I'll wait for Jake to post it.

Top Bottom