It is to hot for Gumbo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    So she broke her no summer Gumbo rule. She says all the time It's too hot "Fur Gumbo" Or so she says. :rolleyes:
    As that's what her Grand Ma used to say
    Not like we don't not have central A/C.
    So 8 pounds chicken, I cut up. 3 pounds Sausage I cut up, 5 pounds Shrimp.
    Not like it was hard as I have everything else I have cut up in bags frozen.
    So "Formally freash" Okra, Onions, and Shallots. Garlic already minced!
    {note} none of which is hardly visible now that it is cooked except the Okra some.
    She was quickly off to the races pouring Olive Oil and making a roux.
    Before we knew it we had 40 quarts of pure goodness. And that whole Home Gumbo smell.
    With the homemade Bread Baking to top it off.
    All kidding aside. It must have really sucked living with no A/C back in the day. That is "Back Before Power" My dads home was built with a whole home fan and we opened windows. But he soon got one window unit for the main area.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Does anyone freeze Oysters? As the summer gumbo would have been 100% with them.
    Thinking of puttin a gallon up in small amounts. Maybe vacuum freezer bags. Like a whole bunch of pints to get that flavor?

Pocket

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Sewanee, TN
    Is it ever too hot for steak? How about fried shrimp or chicken for that matter? Why is it too hot for gumbo?

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Id say yes, but maybe Im just conditioned to eating it at Thanksgiving and Xmas. Maybe I'll get my wife to make a pot and ill get back to you. 2 things I could count on not eating in the summer as a kid were tea cakes and gumbo.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Does anyone freeze Oysters? As the summer gumbo would have been 100% with them.
    Thinking of puttin a gallon up in small amounts. Maybe vacuum freezer bags. Like a whole bunch of pints to get that flavor?

Freezing oysters changes the texture and flavor. I tried some oysters that had been breaded and then frozen for deep frying ....they were the most disgusting thing (I only tried one) I ever put in my mouth....Never eating frozen oysters again. Leave them out if gumbo is to be frozen, thaw gumbo, heat then add fresh oysters ...they will cook in 15 minutes.
    I don't believe in only having Gumbo or Chili during cold weather or Christmas....I cook it whenever I want to eat some...too good not too.

The cells in oysters are mostly water ...the freezing ruptures all the cells making the texture more than mushy and watery ...it's really not a pleasant mouth feel. I don't know why but the flavor changes too. Don't do it !
    Gary

Last edited:

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Freezing oysters changes the texture and flavor. I tried some oysters that had been breaded and then frozen for deep frying ....they were the most disgusting thing (I only tried one) I ever put in my mouth....Never eating frozen oysters again. Leave them out if gumbo is to be frozen, thaw gumbo, heat then add fresh oysters ...they will cook in 15 minutes.
    I don't believe in only having Gumbo or Chili during cold weather or Christmas....I cook it whenever I want to eat some...too good not too.
    Gary

Freezing any seafood changes the texture and flavor. Even if proper steps were taken to freeze it, it's not the same.

Oysters don't belong in gumbo anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gautreaux
    Top Bottom