How much interest is there for a modern, premium indoor range on the Westbank?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    Oh I don't care about the link. I just think someone asking for startup money hasn't thought things through very well.

$5-10 donations are not gonna get $65k from the tiny firearms community.

Maybe not, but I’m trying. That’s more than most. And I’m not just relying on the Westbank firearms community through one forum and just through a crowd sourcing website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    $5-10 donations are not gonna get $65k from the tiny firearms community.[/QUOTE]

The Westbank firearms community spends over million a year on guns, ammo, and accessories at one store alone. So I think there might be a few charitable folks out there willing to try and help get something off the ground and running that would be totally beneficial to them.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    No one is discouraging you from starting it, but the problem is that you basically threw out a random number (65k) which is likely less than 1% of what this whole venture will cost. Five to ten dollar donations will do absolutely nothing towards the goal. You will be needing serious donations and those won't come from internet forums with people who don't know you.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    $5-10 donations are not gonna get $65k from the tiny firearms community.

what you are claiming you want to build is over 10M dollars, which means you ned to capitalize about 12M. Oh... and that is before you buy inventory. I think your heart is in the right place, but perhaps you need to do more research and speak to people who have actually built / run / designed / financed ranges. There is a reason there are not that many.

On top of that, if someone slid 20M under your door for free... have you looked into the zoning and general "political climate" of the area you plan to build?

The westbank will never support the kind of place you want to build. Perhaps it would support a smaller "neighborhood" type of range, but considering you would have competition on the EB, and the way NOLA people are, you are basically just drawing from the WB and Plaq market... not gonna be enough. On top of that, you will not get any of the tourist business that is more easily garnered on the EB being closer to the airport (unless you are near Westwego like the outdoor range is).

I think your heart is on the right place, but you have not thought this through well enough.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck, as new ranges are a good thing.

PS.. Bayou Dragon is a death trap.Very unsafe practices and facilities there.

The other ranges from NOLA to the Northshore are pretty good to go.

drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    what you are claiming you want to build is over 10M dollars, which means you ned to capitalize about 12M. Oh... and that is before you buy inventory. I think your heart is in the right place, but perhaps you need to do more research and speak to people who have actually built / run / designed / financed ranges. There is a reason there are not that many.

I have. And has anyone actuallly read what is on my GFM page besides the dollar amount? I know it would take a lot more than 65k to build a range. Im trying to get seed money to get a company started so that I could raise the total capital in more traditional ways. I’m also not looking to start from the ground up either.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I have. And has anyone actuallly read what is on my GFM page besides the dollar amount? I know it would take a lot more than 65k to build a range. Im trying to get seed money to get a company started so that I could raise the total capital in more traditional ways. I’m also not looking to start from the ground up either.

Yes. I have read your GoFundMe page. I think you should be looking for investors, rather than looking for donations.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

How many years do you expect before you see a return on this investment?

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles

I understand that, but as a potential investor, I have to ask myself these two questions before anything else:

1. What does this guy bring to the table?

In business it is either money or some kind of specialized skill or knowledge or IP. You seem to have none of those.

2. What skin does this guy have in thne game?

Basically, how much of YOUR money or LIFE is invested in this? When you are just "seeding a company" with other people's money, that is not endearing a lot of commitment to me as an investor, as that is very easy to throw your hands up and walk away from.

The fact that basically since the inception of this post, you have handled this in a less than ideal business manner does not breed confidence in potential investors.

Not trying to tear down your dreams man, you just seem to be WAYYYYYY out of your league here.

What do you do for a full time job right now to pay the bills?
    What is your professional background?

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    The fact that basically since the inception of this post, you have handled this in a less than ideal business manner does not breed confidence in potential investors.

Not trying to tear down your dreams man, you just seem to be WAYYYYYY out of your league here.

If I had to guess, he's a small business owner at a minimum. If not, this is a pipe dream.

Even if one could muster the resources to put together funding, land acquisition, permitting, and zoning, it's a long way out from every coming to fruition. Red River Range is a good example of this, and we're finally seeing construction after all these years.

extra300

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Metairie
    I’m working on all of that and as soon as I have hard numbers they will be in an investors portfolio. If I had enough money to do it on my own I wouldn’t use gofundme. I am in contact with a local lawyer and another business consultant right now. I am scouting possible locations and researching zoning regulations. 65k is a big number but I didn’t want to start off small in my aspirations. It is relatively cheap to start an LLC, but there is a lot more to just registering a name. There is federal and state paperwork needed to be filed in order to set up business checking and savings accounts, which is where I would direct the majority of the funds once those are set up. I want to keep everything related to the business separate from my personal finances for accounting and auditing purposes. I wouldn’t want anyone to think I’m embezzling money donated to the actual business.

To register a name is dirt cheap, YOU can do it online yourself. No need to pay anyone to open a business checking account, it's very easy. Articles (if it's an LLC), DL, EIN# is all you need. You call a toll free number and they will give you a federal tax ID number on the spot. Again, no need to pay a consultant, get out there and learn everything you can. It may cost you lunch, dinner or some drinks. You should be able to finance that from your own funds.

Personally, I wouldn't waste any time or money setting up LLC, business accounts, etc. that is very easy and is typically set up AFTER you have funding, business plan, etc. in place. IMO all you need right now is sweat equity.

drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    I understand that, but as a potential investor, I have to ask myself these two questions before anything else:

1. What does this guy bring to the table?

In business it is either money or some kind of specialized skill or knowledge or IP. You seem to have none of those.

2. What skin does this guy have in thne game?

Basically, how much of YOUR money or LIFE is invested in this? When you are just "seeding a company" with other people's money, that is not endearing a lot of commitment to me as an investor, as that is very easy to throw your hands up and walk away from.

What do you do for a full time job right now to pay the bills?
    What is your professional background?

1) 17 years of retail/business management biggest was 18+mil a year in gross sales. About 1/3 that time dealt with firearm and accessory sales. More than that much time as a shooter/enthusiast.

2) All my spare time and money is going into this right now. I have 2 small kids and all the bills that come along with that so money isn’t just flowing for me to throw at this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkDriver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    To get Red River Range to this point, its been almost 10 years from conception to construction. There have been many doubters along the way and financing something like this was absolutely the most difficult part. But we found a handful of great investors and a financial institution that saw the vision and helped to make it happen. I wish you luck with your endeavor but as others have said on this thread, it is definitely an uphill slog and there will be many barriers placed before you. If you haven't already, get in touch with NSSF and have a market study done and determine what your actual base will be. Lots of insight can be gained by that small investment.

drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    To get Red River Range to this point, its been almost 10 years from conception to construction. There have been many doubters along the way and financing something like this was absolutely the most difficult part. But we found a handful of great investors and a financial institution that saw the vision and helped to make it happen. I wish you luck with your endeavor but as others have said on this thread, it is definitely an uphill slog and there will be many barriers placed before you. If you haven't already, get in touch with NSSF and have a market study done and determine what your actual base will be. Lots of insight can be gained by that small investment.

Thanks. I will do that.

NolaJP

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Agreed keep price at shooter club price and I will be there. As long as I can pick up my brass.

Last edited:

drenfro78

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    So just a quick update...
    I took down my gofundme page. I took all the comments here and advice from other interested in the idea, and figured it was the smart thing to do. I am totally serious about this project and don’t want to present it in a way that would be considered anything else. I appreciate all the feedback, even the negative stuff. I have been busy working on finding suitable locations, researching regulations, as well as finding partners to help me with building a rock solid business plan. When I go to potential investors and/or lending institutions I want to have a clear and concise portfolio that can answer any questions or concerns about a project this big.

And back to to my original question in the post, what would y’all look for in a premium shooting range that would win over and keep your patronage? What features, offerings, pricing would you expect?

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    And back to to my original question in the post, what would y’all look for in a premium shooting range that would win over and keep your patronage? What features, offerings, pricing would you expect?
    A good air filtration device and a great staff to run it along with low yearly membership prices.Like they are doing at the new St Bernard indoor shooting range.Go check them out and see what I mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom