Mossberg Shockwave Owners

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA
    I just wanted to share my build, this will not be for everyone which I totally understand. The OEM version has*some great stuff going on.*This is still a firearm and classification has not changed due to overall length still exceeding 26".

- Gearhead works pistol brace
    - Tacstar adapter (perfect compromise between mesa and ergo regarding cheek sight alignment)*I could run the bead or a redot not a*problem.
    - Magpul K2 grip (beaver tail grips work fine as long as they don’t have super rigid plastic*in the beavertail) I'll be swapping to an Ergo grip
    - Magpul 590 forend MLOK (modified to fit shockwave)
    - Magpul MLOK handstop kit
    - Olight PL2 Valkyrie

Wanted to share if anyone was thinking about going this route, happy to answer any questions. This would work for Remington tac14 as well. Remington has their own version of this build as well from the factory.
    8dda191cc5a5dc4826b7c8aed49e994a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    I picked up the Tac-14 when it first came out but the -1 shell capacity compared to the Shockwave made me replace it with the Shockwave. Definitely a fun range toy!

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I think you are treading on very dangerous ground there, and I'm not at all sure that this is a legal configuration. While I haven't kept up completely with the ATF letters regarding the stabilizing braces, I think they make reference to a pistol and using the brace to facilitate firing with one hand. It would be hard to argue, in my opinion, that putting that "brace" on that "firearm" is with the intent to facilitate firing with one hand, because of the fact that the "firearm" in question has a pump action.

I'm not saying it is definitely illegal as configured, but I would lean that way. ATF has issued a letter saying the tac 14 and the shockwave are legal because of "xyz". They have also issued a letter saying that stabilizing braces are legal because of "abc". That does not mean that they agree it is legal to put a stabilizing brace on a shockwave. And, as stated above, the pump action could be the nail in the coffin.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I think you are treading on very dangerous ground there, and I'm not at all sure that this is a legal configuration. While I haven't kept up completely with the ATF letters regarding the stabilizing braces, I think they make reference to a pistol and using the brace to facilitate firing with one hand. It would be hard to argue, in my opinion, that putting that "brace" on that "firearm" is with the intent to facilitate firing with one hand, because of the fact that the "firearm" in question has a pump action.

I'm not saying it is definitely illegal as configured, but I would lean that way. ATF has issued a letter saying the tac 14 and the shockwave are legal because of "xyz". They have also issued a letter saying that stabilizing braces are legal because of "abc". That does not mean that they agree it is legal to put a stabilizing brace on a shockwave. And, as stated above, the pump action could be the nail in the coffin.

It's legal. Do your homework.

This is also legal.

black-aces-dt-model-unfolded.jpg

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    It's legal. Do your homework.

This is also legal.

black-aces-dt-model-unfolded.jpg

I stopped short of saying it was not legal, but I did a little homework and didn't see anything about it. Can you point me to something? The issue I see is that the braces have been approved for pistols, and specifically mention one handed use. The shockwave was approved as a "firearm", not a pistol, and clearly is not designed for one handed use. Has the ATF said that this is allowed?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area

Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA
    I stopped short of saying it was not legal, but I did a little homework and didn't see anything about it. Can you point me to something? The issue I see is that the braces have been approved for pistols, and specifically mention one handed use. The shockwave was approved as a "firearm", not a pistol, and clearly is not designed for one handed use. Has the ATF said that this is allowed?

I appreciate the input but it is 100% legal. Jim's has the Remington version that transfers with a standard background check and out the door same day.

https://www.remington.com/other-products/model-870-tac-14-arm-brace

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Did something similar to a tac14.

I used a choate side folder with an ar pistol tube and a sb tactical SOB brace. I had the og aluminum tailhook on first but it was a bit sharp. The SOB has a little bit of flex, makes a big difference.

Got my inspiration from the suarez pointman.

Also swagged the mag tube and put a wilson plus one mag extension on. Plan to add a qd socket to the stock adapter to run a convertible sling.

Your shockwave looks great, enjoy blasting with it!

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    And i can't wait for mossberg to bring out a mag fed shockwave. Add the arm brace and bring the barrel and tube down to 10 inches or so. Diy black aces stlye setup for much less than 1k+ and with double stack mags.

Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA
    Did something similar to a tac14.

I used a choate side folder with an ar pistol tube and a sb tactical SOB brace. I had the og aluminum tailhook on first but it was a bit sharp. The SOB has a little bit of flex, makes a big difference.

Got my inspiration from the suarez pointman.

Also swagged the mag tube and put a wilson plus one mag extension on. Plan to add a qd socket to the stock adapter to run a convertible sling.

Your shockwave looks great, enjoy blasting with it!

Thanks bud! Do you have a picture of the +1 extension ?

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Thanks bud! Do you have a picture of the +1 extension ?

This is the plus 1 I used with the tac 14:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Extension-Tube-Right-Hand-1-Shot-12-Gauge/productinfo/SGET-RH-1/

I had planned to buy the Suarez plus 1 kit due to the np3 coated follower, but I ended up with the Wilson setup, brand new, on a recent 870 purchase. It seems like the shockwave is more popular than the tac14, the extra round capacity seems to be a selling point. Since the Tac 14 just uses a stock 870 mag tube, and has the dimples to retain the baseplate/mag cap ratchet thingy, I can see a lot of buyers turned off by the amount of work needed to get that extra round in there. I picked up the Tac 14 for 318 shipped plus the transfer fee, so a decent price.

I also have a PGO Mossberg 500 that I converted to a semi shockwave. I added the raptor grip, and just sized the barrel to match the stock mag tube length. About an inch longer than the true 14" barrel shockwave. Not worth trimming the mag tube and relocating the barrel lug, at least not to me. Not sure which I prefer, but the tac 14 is heavier, mostly due to the steel receiver. I find the trigger reach longer on the Mossberg due to the placement of the trigger guard farther forward on the receiver than the Tac 14. Also, the tang safety is a bit close to the web of my hand if I really choke up on the Mossberg. The tac14 feels better to me because of the trigger placement, plus I can run the larger Wilson safeties (need to try the dome style and see if it works as well as it does on my full sized 870.)

A word of warning, I used the same Magpul handstop kit, and had it setup the same way as you do. First time I shot it the front larger portion made "intimate" contact with my index finger. It hurt, like hitting my finger with a hammer. I then moved it all the way forward on the handguard, and ditched the other parts of the kit. So now it is a safety feature to stop my hand from sliding forward and covering the muzzle. The sling mount on the Wilson extension will also help with this.

I have made custom capacity extensions before by cutting down the longer plus 4 and 5 extension tubes and sizing them to match the desired barrel length, then cutting the spring till I had good function. I have not made a plus 1, but I see no reason that it would not work.

Swagging out the 2 dimples in the stock mag tube was quite easy. I used increasing size sockets as backers inside the tube and a small ball peen hammer on the outside. Lots of light taps. I have just drilled the dimples out in the past, but figured I would try this technique. I know that suarez international sells a swage tool, but I prefer to use what I have at hand!

https://suarezinternational.com/tac-14-magazine-tube-detent-swage-remington-12-gauge/

Last edited:

Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA
    what was the orignal barrel length on your PGO Mossberg 500? Assuming it was over 18" and made/created classified as a shotgun?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom