SB18 - Purple paint = No trespassing?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    This was my trespassing story from 2012

Two Men Charged With Numerous Night Hunting Violations
    [1] http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/print/36028 Printable Version [2]
    Release Date: 10/29/2012

Enforcement - Agent behind truck [3]
    Oct. 29, 2012 -- Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Enforcement Division agents cited two men for alleged night hunting violations and cruelty to animals on Oct. 27 in East Baton Rouge and East Feliciana parishes.

During the early morning hours of Oct. 27, agents received information of possible night hunting activity in the northern section of East Baton Rouge Parish. Agents investigated the area and found Ryan Stogner, 20, of Denham Springs, and Nicholas Tarver, 21, of Zachary, involved in night hunting activities.

After further investigation, agents were able to track and locate a white tail doe deer the pair had shot and killed earlier in the night off of Pride/Port Hudson Road. Agents also learned that the two men had shot and killed a personally owned malamute husky belonging to a couple in East Feliciana Parish along Hwy. 409 earlier in the night.

Agents cited the two men with two counts each for taking deer during illegal hours, taking deer from a public road, hunting from a moving vehicle, hunting without basic and big game licenses and violating deer tagging regulations in East Baton Rouge and East Feliciana parishes. Stogner was also cited for discharging a firearm from a public road in both parishes. Both men were also cited for aggravated cruelty to animals in East Feliciana Parish for killing the husky.

Agents seized one whitetail deer along with one malamute husky, a Remington .308 rifle with scope and a Q-beam spotlight.

Hunting or taking deer during illegal hours brings a $900 to $950 fine and up to 120 days in jail for each count. Hunting or taking deer from a public road carries a $100 to $350 fine and up to 60 days in jail for each count. Hunting from a moving vehicle brings a $250 to 500 and up to 90 days in jail for each count. Hunting without basic and big game licenses carries a $50 fine and up to 15 days in jail for each count. Violating deer tagging regulations brings a $100 to $300 fine and up to 60 days in jail for each count. Discharging a firearm from a public road carries a $50 fine and up to 30 days in jail for each count.

Aggravated cruelty to animals brings a $5,000 to $25,000 fine and between one and 10 years in prison plus possible court ordered physiological evaluation.

In addition to the criminal penalties, both men are subject to pay restitution in the amount of $800 to $1,000 for the malamute husky back to the owners and $1,624.61 for the deer to the state.

Agents participating in this case were Sgt. Randy Lanoux and Lt. Will Roberts. Deputies from the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office also assisted agents in this case.

For more information, contact Adam Einck at aeinck@wlf.la.gov [4] or 225-765-2465.

Submitted by aeinck [5] on Mon, 10/29/2012 - 11:36am

Not in this report but EBRSO charged one with Criminal Trespassing. She the EBRSO deputy charged the shooter with CT but not the driver that drove his truck out in my pasture looking for the deer and to pick up the shooter.
    When she came to talk to me after they had them stopped about 4 miles from here she said Game Wardens would handle the other charges and she was doing the Trespassing charges. Wanted to know if I wanted to press charges. I asked where they, she said she didn't have all their names yet but that one of them said he knew her son. Then told me not to let that influence whether to press charges and I saw it wouldn't.
    Guess who didn't get charged when I read her report. The one that knew her son. She didn't like me too much after I talked to some of her bosses at the office and the DA did charge him after they heard the story.

Last edited:

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    A little more reading finds that the bill admits it’s not required to have it marked/posted and it keeps it that way with the proposed bill. I guess their saying.... even though you don’t have to do it in the first place, here’s another way you COULD mark it.

I guess it’s another piece of legislation that’ll make you wonder WHY?

Present law provides that no person can enter any structure, watercraft, or movable, or any immovable property, owned by another without express, legal, or implied authorization.

Proposed law retains present law and adds that, although it is not required by present law or proposed law, notice that entrance upon any structure, watercraft, movable, or immovable property owned by another is prohibited may be indicated by either of the following:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Every square inch of non-public land in Louisiana is by law already legally posted and no signs or fence is required. Why do we need this new purple paint law?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Every square inch of non-public land in Louisiana is by law already legally posted and no signs or fence is required. Why do we need this new purple paint law?

I know it's crazy. There is a facebook page called Abandoned Louisiana and people go all over the state wanted to look at old abandoned places. Some have been up in the the Jackson area at the old hospital and on La 68 north of Jackson were they filmed a movie with a movie set out in the hills in a pasture. I told them they might go to jail that the landowners in East Feliciana don't play and neither do the Judges. And you would think I did something to them and they say they don't see any posted signs. I tell them what the law is and to go do what they want and to have bail money

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Is it written anywhere that a lack of signs is not a defense? I think we've got some people sneaking on our land and fishing in our stocked pond. The fence along parts of the property line has long ago fallen (been knocked?) down.

cowdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    I have the same problem with trespassers in Central. No respect or even the courtesy of asking first.
    Trespass and leave their trash, fishing line, hooks. These a/h will steal anything not chained down.
    I guess I'm going to have to make an example out of a number of them as a summer project.

here's what I could find and all of it isn't crystal clear (signs may be used???); ymmv

Louisiana
    Per Louisiana state law, criminal trespass can occur even if the property is not posted or fenced. Louisiana state law changed significantly in 2003, with the responsibility being put on the trespasser to realize that he or she is trespassing, rather than on the owner to inform people to keep off of his or her land. Louisiana state representative Francis Thompson, a co-author of the 2003 law, was quoted as saying “If you’re not on your own property, you’re obviously on someone else’s. So you better have permission.” The law was changed to help protect landowners from liability and fraud (such as when someone claims injury while they are trespassing), but the law makes the issue of criminal trespass very clear in most instances.

No trespassing laws for the state of Louisiana are found in RS 14:63. The law states that no person shall enter or remain on property that they do not have written or verbal communication to be on. The definition of property and specific situations are outlined in full detail in section sixty-three. There is no exact verbiage detailing signage requirements or how it may protect property other than to say that warning can be verbal or written. Which presumably means that signage could be used. Trespassing offenses are punishable by fines and/or jail time and escalate with the number of convictions.

https://www.lawguru.com/legal-quest...difference-civil-trespass-criminal-848156559/
    For civil trespass the one whose property is trespassed upon has a right to sue the trespasser for damages for trespass. Just the fact that one trespasses on another's property gives rise in favor of the owner to a civil action for damages just for having his land trespassed upon, and the owner can also seek (sue for) and recover actual pecuniary damages for harm done to the property and its owner as a result of the trespass. As I understand the law of civil trespass, if you trespass on my land, even if I am not hurt in any way, you still owe me some money, just for violating my right to possession of my own property.
    On the other hand, a criminal trespass simply gives rise to a prosecution brought in the name of the state against the trespasser (the defendant) in a criminal proceeding (prosecution) to have the defendant (trespasser) found guilty of the offense (crime) of trespass, and; upon conviction, the defendant can be fined or jailed, or both. There is more to it all than this, but his the basic answer to your question. Best of luck!
    Hardy Parkerson, Atty.

http://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2011/rs/title14/rs14-63

2011 Louisiana Laws Revised Statutes
    TITLE 14 — Criminal law
    RS 14:63 — Criminal trespass
    Universal Citation: LA Rev Stat § 14:63
    4. CRIMINAL TRESPASS
    §63. Criminal trespass
    A. No person shall enter any structure, watercraft, or movable owned by another without express, legal, or implied authorization.
    B. No person shall enter upon immovable property owned by another without express, legal, or implied authorization.
    C. No person shall remain in or upon property, movable or immovable, owned by another without express, legal, or implied authorization.
    D. It shall be an affirmative defense to a prosecution for a violation of Subsection A, B, or C of this Section, that the accused had express, legal, or implied authority to be in the movable or on the immovable property.
    E. The following persons may enter or remain upon the structure, watercraft, movable or immovable property, of another:
    (1) A duly commissioned law enforcement officer in the performance of his duties.
    (2) Any firefighter, whether or not a member of a volunteer or other fire department, and any employee or agent of the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry engaged in locating and suppressing a fire.
    (3) Emergency medical personnel engaged in the rendering of medical assistance to an individual.
    (4) Any federal, state or local government employee, public utility employee or agent engaged in suppressing or dealing with an emergency that presents an imminent danger to human safety or health or to the environment.
    (5) Any federal, state or local government employee, public utility employee or agent in the performance of his duties when otherwise authorized by law to enter or remain on immovable or movable property.
    (6) Any person authorized by a court of law to enter or remain on immovable property.
    (7) Any person exercising the mere right of passage to an enclosed estate, as otherwise provided by law.
    F. The following persons may enter or remain upon immovable property of another, unless specifically forbidden to do so by the owner or other person with authority, either orally or in writing:
    (1) A professional land surveyor or his authorized personnel, engaged in the "Practice of Land Surveying", as defined in R.S. 37:682.
    (2) A person, affiliate, employee, agent or contractor of any business which is regulated by the Louisiana Public Service Commission or by a local franchising authority or the Federal Communication Commission under the Cable Reregulation Act of 1992 or of a municipal or public utility, while acting in the course and scope of his employment or agency relating to the operation, repair, or maintenance of a facility, servitude or any property located on the immovable property which belongs to such a business.
    (3) Any person making a delivery, soliciting, selling any product or service, conducting a survey or poll, a real estate licensee or other person who has a legitimate reason for making a delivery, conducting business or communicating with the owner, lessee, custodian or a resident of the immovable property, and who, immediately upon entry, seeks to make the delivery, to conduct business or to conduct the communication.
    (4) An employee of the owner, lessee or custodian of the immovable property while performing his duties, functions and responsibilities in the course and scope of his employment.
    (5) The owner of domestic livestock or his employees or agents while in the process of retrieving his domestic livestock that have escaped from an area fenced to retain such domestic livestock.
    (6) The owner of a domestic animal while in the sole process of merely retrieving his domestic animal from immovable property and not having a firearm or other weapon on his person.
    (7) Any candidate for political office or any person working on behalf of a candidate for a political office.
    (8) The owner or occupant of a watercraft or vessel traveling in salt water engaged in any lawful purpose for the purpose of retrieval of his property or for obtaining assistance in an emergency situation.
    G. The following penalties shall be imposed for a violation of this Section:
    (1) For the first offense, the fine shall be not less than one hundred dollars and not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisonment for not more than thirty days, or both.
    (2) For the second offense, the fine shall be not less than three hundred dollars and not more than seven hundred fifty dollars, or imprisonment for not more than ninety days, or both.
    (3) For the third offense and all subsequent offenses, the fine shall be not less than five hundred dollars and not more than one thousand dollars, or imprisonment for not less than sixty days and not more than six months, or both, and forfeiture to the law enforcement authority of any property seized in connection with the violation.
    (4) A person may be convicted of a second offense and any subsequent offenses regardless of whether any prior conviction involved the same structure, watercraft, movable or immovable property and regardless of the time sequence of the occurrence of the offenses.
    H. The provisions of any other law notwithstanding, owners, lessees, and custodians of structures, watercraft, movable or immovable property shall not be answerable for damages sustained by any person who enters upon the structure, watercraft, movable or immovable property without express, legal or implied authorization, or who without legal authorization, remains upon the structure, watercraft, movable or immovable property after being forbidden by the owner, or other person with authority to do so; however, the owner, lessee or custodian of the property may be answerable for damages only upon a showing that the damages sustained were the result of the intentional acts or gross negligence of the owner, lessee or custodian.
    I. A minor ten years old or younger shall not be arrested, detained or apprehended for the crime of trespass.
    Amended by Acts 1960, No. 458, §1; Acts 1964, No. 497, §1; Acts 1981, No. 78, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 1982; Acts 1990, No. 870, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 1991; Acts 1991, No. 438, §1; Acts 1993, No. 887, §1; Acts 2003, No. 279, §3; Acts 2003, No. 802, §1.

the fact state law doesn’t require the waters to be posted against trespassing.
    Louisiana law, for example, permits police, fire, medical personnel delivering services, public employees, utility employees and others to enter private property for the specific purpose of performing their legally authorized duties.
    Posted notices in other specific colors are required in Arizona, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Nevada, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin.

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    SB18 up for discussion this week. My take away was that a purple vertical line 8”x1” or greater will be equal to a no trespass sign.

Sounds like a neat idea for land owners etc but how will they get the word out to the trespassers?

http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=1074451

With the ridiculous number of laws on the books today, ignorance seems like a great excuse.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Damn! Well..... He didn't litter. Gotta look at the bright side.

LOL, Actually someone did, Coke can and a empty bag of chips at the North east corner, I have the sheriff dept. now parking in the driveway if they want too with instructions to write tickets and tow the vehicle's if necessary, I and 1 cousin have the keys to the gate, Anyone else is trespassing.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    LOL, Actually someone did, Coke can and a empty bag of chips at the North east corner, I have the sheriff dept. now parking in the driveway if they want too with instructions to write tickets and tow the vehicle's if necessary, I and 1 cousin have the keys to the gate, Anyone else is trespassing.

Dammit to Hell. I’m all out of positivity on this one..... Wait..... Coke can for target practice... There it is! Had to search hard for that one.

Hopefully the cops are keeping the trespassers out. I’d get you a couple cans of purple paint just in case.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom