LA Gun

Page 1 of 8 12 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Signs and the weight of law AGAIN!

After writing the State Police CHP office, and not wanting to revive a 21 page post , and against my better judgement. I received an email back from State Police today. So all of the speculation can end.

Subsection N, of LRS40:1379.3 clearly states where you cannot carry. Directly following that, Subsection O, Says the provisions of subsection N shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access to those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this section.

According to the Concealed Handgun Permit section, this means that if a property owner has posted a sign, regardless of size or literature, the exact reply by the State was

"If a business has a sign prohibiting firearms, it does carry weight, and all carrying is considered illegal."

So by that language, Subsection O, clearly gives a property owner, lessee, or lawful custodian the right, and weight of the law, to say you cannot carry in his/her place of business/property. It does not define how they must convey this intent, like the Texas law does. If there is a sign, it is a no go legally.

Anyone wishing to verify the validity of this, and look at the email is welcome to PM me, and we can make arrangements.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

This should be Common Knowledge among CHP Holders in Louisiana because it is normally covered in the Louisiana CHP Class.

Shoot First

User Info Menu

This was discussed ad nauseam in the other thread.

User Info Menu

and, the consensus coming out of that thread was that signs, do not carry weight of law. Which is in fact according to the State Police CHP division wrong. I am not here for the argument, and redacted all statements made by myself in that post.The nonsense that sometimes comes from this message board is surprising. There are many here that seem to be here only for the argument, and do not care about the validity of said information at all.

tactical hangover

User Info Menu

I would have argued against the signs carrying weight, .. thanks for the follow up.. Although, I will not likely change my behavior.

Shoot First

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Troedoff View Post
    and, the consensus coming out of that thread was that signs, do not carry weight of law. Which is in fact according to the State Police CHP division wrong. I am not here for the argument, and redacted all statements made by myself in that post.The nonsense that sometimes comes from this message board is surprising. There are many here that seem to be here only for the argument, and do not care about the validity of said information at all.
    Without case law, it's a tossup. Wanna be the first to play ball?

Not a Fed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Troedoff View Post
    After writing the State Police CHP office, and not wanting to revive a 21 page post , and against my better judgement. I received an email back from State Police today. So all of the speculation can end.

Subsection N, of LRS40:1379.3 clearly states where you cannot carry. Directly following that, Subsection O, Says the provisions of subsection N shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access to those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this section.

According to the Concealed Handgun Permit section, this means that if a property owner has posted a sign, regardless of size or literature, the exact reply by the State was

"If a business has a sign prohibiting firearms, it does carry weight, and all carrying is considered illegal."

So by that language, Subsection O, clearly gives a property owner, lessee, or lawful custodian the right, and weight of the law, to say you cannot carry in his/her place of business/property. It does not define how they must convey this intent, like the Texas law does. If there is a sign, it is a no go legally.

Anyone wishing to verify the validity of this, and look at the email is welcome to PM me, and we can make arrangements.
    Did anyone sign that email?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The problems we face today are
    there because the people who work
    for a living are outnumbered by those
    who vote for a living.

On Target

User Info Menu

In our current politically correct environment wouldn't the sign only ban black semi-auto pistols. It seems the red circle with a line through it only discriminated on the black ones. So would a stainless revolver slide thru the cracks.

Marksman

User Info Menu

The State Police CHP division also told me I couldn’t carry in a bank because it was a Federal building. I explained to that person that my bank was not owned by the Feds only insured by the Feds. I spoke to 3 different people before getting a supervisor to say it was legal but *he advised* me not to carry in my bank......

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten View Post
    In our current politically correct environment wouldn't the sign only ban black semi-auto pistols. It seems the red circle with a line through it only discriminated on the black ones. So would a stainless revolver slide thru the cracks.
    Hahaha, That law only applys too the liberal crap holes along the river, The rest of Louisiana laughs at em'
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.