Signs and the weight of law AGAIN!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Several posts in this thread have stated that if you conceal carry into a business that has a sign prohibiting such, that if caught you will be arrested and charged.
    Not sure if this is an easier to answer question than "do signs have the force of law", but... what would you be charged with?
    Trespassing? Even if you left? Or illegal carrying of a weapon?

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Several posts in this thread have stated that if you conceal carry into a business that has a sign prohibiting such, that if caught you will be arrested and charged.
    Not sure if this is an easier to answer question than "do signs have the force of law", but... what would you be charged with?

The charge would be...

Well... I don't know what the charge would be, because there is no case law on the matter.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles

The argument is typically that it is a form of trespassing in the same way that disobeying a "no shirt, no shoes, no service" COULD be. Now, that will almost never happen unless you "earn" that charge through your attitude. 99/100 times, if you leave when told to, it falls into the "no harm no foul" bucket.

Now... you stay and start arguing, then you definitely are tress-passing by remaining after being forbidden, and you will likely catch a charge for that if it has gotten to the point that the cops were called after you were told to leave and you are still there.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I would be more worried about the registered letter I would receive in the mail informing me that my permit has been revoked. Don't need case law for that, it is a civil procedure.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    If a law was passed to require all who have a ccw on their person wear a ccw badge on a lanyard around their neck to alert any store owners that might object to it should clear things up. No more need for signs. I can’t believe the politicians haven’t thought of this yet.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    If a law was passed to require all who have a ccw on their person wear a ccw badge on a lanyard around their neck to alert any store owners that might object to it should clear things up. No more need for signs. I can’t believe the politicians haven’t thought of this yet.

I'm sure the derps would love it. A badge of honor, m'lady.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs

I wear mine on my waist. 12 O’clock front and center. I had it made into a belt buckle so it’s always there and I never forget it.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Like this guy?

5epmc6qnriuc0zoi2w9.jpg

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You could possibly start with criminal trespass. Any time a crime is commited and a firearm is involved you get an automatic upgrade.

I have a pretty good grasp on the laws on the books, especially Title 14 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes. I'm fairly certain there's no Aggravated Criminal Trespass on the books.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would be more worried about the registered letter I would receive in the mail informing me that my permit has been revoked. Don't need case law for that, it is a civil procedure.

Without some sort of criminal action, how would State Police know about an incident in order to initiate the civil procedure and send out the registered letter?

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    You could possibly start with criminal trespass. Any time a crime is commited and a firearm is involved you get an automatic upgrade.

You mean like a Super-size? Please post a link to the statute where I can learn more about deez "auto-upgrades." Are they really auto, or are they like fully semi-auto upgrades?

Shonsu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Interesting thread. I've always wondered about this and I always check doors when I'm going into a store while carrying. Doesn't this part of the code have bearing on this discussion: "reasonably expected to be seen"?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom