How do you trace a firearm serial number

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedmoulton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2018
    metairie la
    I have a sharps replica in 45/70 that i wanted to sell. had someone interested but then they backed out saying that it did not have the make model information on it so they could not buy it. I have the serial number and i know what it is but how do i go about getting proof that this is X rifle imported on Y date by Z company with serial number XXXXX.

A former law enforcement friend said just contact the local sheriff office and they can trace it for you. I did and they said that they only do that if it has been involved in a crime.

Not that i know of. I just need to get proof that this rifle is X. Then i want to take that information to a gun smith and have them put the make and model back on the barrel. For whatever reason when this
    rifle barrel was changed they did not put that information on it.

How do i go about tracing the serial number on my rifle?

Last edited:

jedmoulton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2018
    metairie la
    i have the serial number - i do not have the make/model - that was on the barrel which was apparently trash and thrown away when the barrel was changed out.

jedmoulton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2018
    metairie la
    i spoke with a very nice agent who informed me that tracing a firearm through the ATF is limited to LEO conducting a criminal investigation. I have the importer information - i just need to run them down and request a records search. Thanks for the info leadslinger972

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    There can't be that many manufacturers of those, post some pics and the first few digits of the serial number and I'm sure someone can help identify the make/model.

jedmoulton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2018
    metairie la
    Here are some pictures

Serial # 393xx
    Manufacturer IAB
    Model Sharps Reproduction

Type Rifle

Gauge 45-70 Government

Import : SILE NEW YORK, N.Y.

I am looking for contact information on the manufacturer - it should be industria armi bresciane. Not sure if they are still in business or if they were purchased.

You can still get parts from places like Numrich so maybe????

Attachments

• IMG_20180316_193217267_LL.jpg
      IMG_20180316_193217267_LL.jpg
      268.1 KB · Views: 125
    • IMG_20180316_193158948.jpg
      IMG_20180316_193158948.jpg
      212.2 KB · Views: 136
    • IMG_20180316_191328342_LL.jpg
      IMG_20180316_191328342_LL.jpg
      196.4 KB · Views: 142
    • IMG_20180316_191317283_LL.jpg
      IMG_20180316_191317283_LL.jpg
      191.2 KB · Views: 146
    • IMG_20180316_191310816.jpg
      IMG_20180316_191310816.jpg
      213.7 KB · Views: 127

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This is a percussion cap rifle, right? If that's the case, then ATF considers it an "antique firearm".

I'm not sure if this matters to your buyer, but the transfer of this weapon is much less regulated than the transfer of a true "firearm." You can mail order these and have them shipped to your home, in the same way that you can buy an air gun.

Mike

jedmoulton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2018
    metairie la
    It's actually converted to fire brass center fire cartridges and has had the barrel replaced with a match grade bull barrel.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I have one similar imported by armsport and I tried but was unable to figure out who made it. There have been numerous italian companies that made sharps replicas over the years. Some of which aren’t around anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jedmoulton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2018
    metairie la
    That is a Soule long-range Tang sight. The front is a p f series site it has the interchangeable inserts option it was originally a replica Cavalry rifle

jedmoulton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2018
    metairie la
    Which is my problem the company that imported it I believe was siwell and they're not in business anymore so I probably can't find the information that I'm looking for

BRgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Baton rouge
    I have somewhat of a similar question,i saw a gun i would like to purchace from a private owner,how can i make sure the gun isn't stolen?...i dont know the seller personally and he said he got the gun in a trade a while back...would my local PD or sheriffs office run the SN# for me or can a FFL run the SN# and check to make sure the gun has never been reported stolen?.

jedmoulton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2018
    metairie la
    The ATF will only run a serial number check if they suspect the gun has been used in committing a crime only law enforcement can access ATF records if you want to know you're going to have to trace it yourself get the serial number make model manufacturer an importer if it's imported contact the Importer and they can give you the first buyer it might cost but if they're still in business they should have the records

jedmoulton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2018
    metairie la
    Like for example the Importer of the gun I'm trying to trace down is no longer in business the ATF would have sales records but those records are only available to law enforcement personnel I'm trying to contact the manufacturer but I'm not sure if they're still in business so essentially I can't find the import records

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I have somewhat of a similar question,i saw a gun i would like to purchace from a private owner,how can i make sure the gun isn't stolen?...i dont know the seller personally and he said he got the gun in a trade a while back...would my local PD or sheriffs office run the SN# for me or can a FFL run the SN# and check to make sure the gun has never been reported stolen?.
    They can and our Sherrifs office will do it but yours may not depends on if they want to be civil servants or jerks . They will either warn you if it is stolen you will have to give it up and tell where you got it .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    They can and our Sherrifs office will do it but yours may not depends on if they want to be civil servants or jerks . They will either warn you if it is stolen you will have to give it up and tell where you got it .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

And some LEO's don't want to break laws

Top Bottom