Drilling through glass

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Have any of you ever drilled a hole in a piece of glass ? I'm not talking about thin window glass but something more substantial ? I need about a 3/8 " hole through something about as thick . I'm sure there is a special bit for this , right ?

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    Drilling a hole in a pane of glass or a mirror is simple. The key is to use a carbide bit made especially for glass and tile (see photos). You’ll find these bits at most home centers alongside other drill bits or ceramic tile tools.

Because glass is extremely smooth and hard, the bit will want to wander as you start drilling. To give the bit a foothold, tape a small scrap of dense cardboard (like cereal box cardboard) to the glass. Begin at very low rpm to create a dimple in the glass, then remove the cardboard and continue at about 400 rpm. If you’re drilling on a horizontal surface, you can pour a little oil on the area.

Make sure the glass is firmly supported on the backside and place only very light pressure on the drill; press too hard and you’ll crack the glass. The bit creates a clean hole on the side it enters, but usually chips the edges of the hole on the other side.

Note: You can’t drill tempered glass.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Drilling a hole in a pane of glass or a mirror is simple. The key is to use a carbide bit made especially for glass and tile (see photos). You’ll find these bits at most home centers alongside other drill bits or ceramic tile tools.

Because glass is extremely smooth and hard, the bit will want to wander as you start drilling. To give the bit a foothold, tape a small scrap of dense cardboard (like cereal box cardboard) to the glass. Begin at very low rpm to create a dimple in the glass, then remove the cardboard and continue at about 400 rpm. If you’re drilling on a horizontal surface, you can pour a little oil on the area.

Make sure the glass is firmly supported on the backside and place only very light pressure on the drill; press too hard and you’ll crack the glass. The bit creates a clean hole on the side it enters, but usually chips the edges of the hole on the other side.

Note: You can’t drill tempered glass.

Can a center punch be used to keep the bit from walking?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    There’s a video or 3 on YouTube using the diamond cutters and I’ve done it before. Cutting and drilling tempered glass will net mixed results with the carbide. It will shatter. Check the vids.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I’ve only done it once (three holes, many years ago). I used something very similar to what bigsk linked to. Lots of water for cooling and support the back side so it doesn’t try to flex it. Once it got a good groove started, was easy. Getting that groove started took some patience.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I just saw this thread. I did this many many times as installed Ceramic, Stone, Porcline for over 30 years. Yes, glass as well. The only way is to use a diamond hole saw. With water.
    I do not have one that small. Best to not use the centering bit and to make a wood template for the bit to ride inside of. Just drill a simple hole in some plywood. Use the wood to center the hole saw. As the center bit can and will brake what you are drilling lots of times.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    A cheap bit may work. Since just one hole. I have commercial ones that have plenty diamond but none that small.
    I did look today. When we would have to do. Make a wood template. If we needed plenty like a shower, countertop etc. We would do as I said and make a template and go back and drill them.
    If it is just one get a glass place to do it. They, do them all the time in showers and what not.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    That's what I'd do. I have one of those spring loaded models. :D

Those work well to break side windows in automobiles quicker and easier than a Baton or Night Stick.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom