Do you know anyone who failed the CHP class?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I asked this question in another thread, but no one answered it, so I’ll ask it again:

As a student, would you rather your LA CHP Instructor to be a NRA Instructor or a LA POST Firearms Instructor?

I’m asking because those are the prerequisites on the application to be a LA CHP Instructor.

I’m in the process of completing my syllabus that needs to be submitted to the state.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I asked this question in another thread, but no one answered it, so I’ll ask it again:

As a student, would you rather your LA CHP Instructor to be a NRA Instructor or a LA POST Firearms Instructor?

I’m asking because those are the prerequisites on the application to be a LA CHP Instructor.

I’m in the process of completing my syllabus that needs to be submitted to the state.

I think if anyone looks up the the training and skill required to get POST instructor certified vs NRA it will be a no brainer. The question should really be do you want an instructor to be honest and help you or just take ur money. Same can be said for people teaching classes that claim to be swat operators. If you are a swat guy at a small department then you have applied your skill way less than a regular street cop at a major agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Not CHP class related, but...

About 5 years ago at The Shooters Club: I was in the lane against the right hand wall. A female Orleans Parish PD and two male NOPD were two lanes to my left (one empty lane between us). My target was 1/2 way down. While I was loading, my buddy pointed out that my target was being shot. Pulled it in to see and sure as ****, the OPPD shot my target 3 our of 5 shots.
    Keep in mind, she was already in uniform, already carrying her sidearm. I keep that in the back of my mind.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I think if anyone looks up the the training and skill required to get POST instructor certified vs NRA it will be a no brainer. The question should really be do you want an instructor to be honest and help you or just take ur money. Same can be said for people teaching classes that claim to be swat operators. If you are a swat guy at a small department then you have applied your skill way less than a regular street cop at a major agency.

Yeah, but many folks don’t know all of that.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Not CHP class related, but...

About 5 years ago at The Shooters Club: I was in the lane against the right hand wall. A female Orleans Parish PD and two male NOPD were two lanes to my left (one empty lane between us). My target was 1/2 way down. While I was loading, my buddy pointed out that my target was being shot. Pulled it in to see and sure as ****, the OPPD shot my target 3 our of 5 shots.
    Keep in mind, she was already in uniform, already carrying her sidearm. I keep that in the back of my mind.
    Is it possible she was aiming at your target or was this a case of "spray and pray?"

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville

Both have their merit. The NRA has great tools, and teaching aids made available to their instructors. At the end of the day it boils down to how well you teach, not so much how well you operate. Many times I have found that former Military/LEO sometimes use terms or speak over the heads of individuals in their classes. 90% of the people who have taken my class will probably never join any shooting forum, or association. They simply want to be able to feel safer. I encourage all people who take my class to put rounds down range, and many call me after classes to make range trips etc.

When I started teaching, I had an idea of how things were going to go. After a while, realized that every person, and every class was different. The substance is the same, but everyone learns at a different pace. Teaching a room full of swat officers or the like is more or less like having a discussion with bits of knowledge exchanged about. Teaching a 60 y/o lady who has never, or only fired a gun a few times in her life is real work.

People will surprise you as well. I've had people who shoot frequently shoot poorly, and people who have never shot, shoot jagged holes. Personally I encourage people to shoot the way they would in a real situation, not like they are in the perfect setting of a range.

Top Bottom