Do you know anyone who failed the CHP class?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5erbye

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For the live fire portion of the CHP class the law requires firing 12 rounds each at 6, 10, and 15 feet at a silhouette target with ZERO misses on the silhouette. There have been almost 140,000 original permits issued since the program began in 1996. Imagine someone paying a hundred-and-some dollars, going through the whole course, only to be told they failed. Do you know of any such person?

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    There were 2 ladies in the first class I took that struggled with the shooting portion. One of the instructor worked with both of them until they were able to meet the requirements. Not sure how other instructors would handle the situation, but I'd imagine the student would have to be pretty terrible, to the point of dangerous, to fail them.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I don't know them personally, but have seen people fail the shooting portion.

It's amazing how many people apply for their CHP without ever having fired the gun they bring to the class.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    In my class, some of the targets looked they had used a shotgun. I used my 1911 and had a fist sized hole in the center. I'm old and don't see too well anymore :)

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I don't, these folks had no business owning a firearm let alone having one concealed. Several of them could not load a magazine without the instructors help and several did not have the physical ability to rack the slide properly. 3 in my class could not keep there finger off the trigger when handling the firearm.

5erbye

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The experiences you guys shared reinforce my long held opinion that just because someone has a CHP does not make them worthy of any other special rights, such as SB178 which will allow a CHP holder to carry to the edge of a school campus.

Last edited:

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I watched a guy try with a 454 casull, short barrel ported, and failed! Im not sure if it was the flame or violent recoil that caused him to miss a few

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    The experiences you guys shared reinforce my long held opinion that just because someone has a CHP does not make them worthy of any other special rights, such as SB178 which will allow a CHP holder to carry to the edge of a school campus.

Do you not believe it's okay to carry on school grounds, but do believe it's okay to carry elsewhere?

The inability to shoot well does not translate to unsafe firearm handling. Just because I'm not a world champion F1 driver doesn't mean I shouldn't have a license.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    I've seen instructors works with those who struggled.

A lot fail to realize that a CHP class does not teach you to shoot or become a proficient shooter.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I've seen instructors works with those who struggled.

A lot fail to realize that a CHP class does not teach you to shoot or become a proficient shooter.

What people fail to understand is the class is only the classroom portion, where you learn about the ins and outs of a CHP. You are expected to be proficient with your firearm prior to the shooting portion.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I've seen someone fail. It was an old lady, probably well past 70, who shot the indoor range's ceiling and floor at which point I stopped and grabbed the closest range officer!

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    What people fail to understand is the class is only the classroom portion, where you learn about the ins and outs of a CHP. You are expected to be proficient with your firearm prior to the shooting portion.

Technically the class is a basic pistol class which is supposed to be dialed toward new shooters. It covers a lot of basic information, and basic shooting positions. When instructed correctly, is a very valuable learning opportunity for people who have never fired a handgun. I have instructed many classes for people who have never fired a handgun. Who after taking the class were confident that if they had to, they could use their handgun to defend themselves.

I actually find it harder to instruct a class full of people who are proficient already, as it is hard to meet the time requirement without seeming like it is wasting someone's time.

I have personally never failed anyone taking my class, however, there have been several that I have asked to stay after dismissing the majority for more range work, handling exercises etc. I take the time to work with everyone on an individual level to make sure they are confident, and I am confident in their abilities before handing them a certificate.

Last edited:

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Technically the class is a basic pistol class which is supposed to be dialed toward new shooters. It covers a lot of basic information, and basic shooting positions. When instructed correctly, is a very valuable learning opportunity for people who have never fired a handgun. I have instructed many classes for people who have never fired a handgun. Who after taking the class were confident that if they had to, they could use their handgun to defend themselves.

I actually find it harder to instruct a class full of people who are proficient already, as it is hard to meet the time requirement without seeming like it is wasting someone's time.

I have personally never failed anyone taking my class, however, there have been several that I have asked to stay after dismissing the majority for more range work, handling exercises etc. I take the time to work with everyone on an individual level to make sure they are confident, and I am confident in their abilities before handing them a certificate.

The shooting portion should be 8 hours.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    My class, taught by a Bossier cop, the shooting portion was a 5 minute joke. The things he "taught" were flat out wrong in several cases.

ChickenWhistle

Thingamajig
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Houma, LA

SB178 provides for bullet proof backpacks for students, which was passed yesterday.

Carrying to the property line of a school is already legal if you are a CHP permittee. (RS:14:95.2(C)4).
    HB602, which was passed by the House today, clarifies the language in the existing statute.

Last edited:

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    The shooting portion should be 8 hours.

Round count? Substance? Should we run and gun, and practice our jiu jitsu also? I mean it could take years, and we will still never be Navy Seal awesome. Might as well just give up now.

This is why I contribute very little to this Louisiana shooting community as a whole. At one time we had at least one capable instructor that would offer his insight, and I attended many of his classes, and trained for many years with him, and went to many free classes in public parks. God rest his soul. This community, or at least parts of it are toxic, and do little to advance shooting, or even getting new shooters in the loop, and up to speed. Why don't you start training people, and do something constructive, and change something for the positive rather than being so critical, and quick to turn new folks away with toxicity.

Top Bottom