Carry permit pre CHP days?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Just curious how many folks had a permit pre Foster signing the chp bill in 1996? I got mine through the new permitting process in 97 if I remember right. Just after it was signed into law. I had to pay the $50 extra because I had just moved back into the state.

Prior to that I had attempted to get a permit when it was very hard if not impossible for a regular joe to get one.

Going from memory (dangerous) but I think the requirements were something like: had to provide reason for needing permit. Carrying large sums of cash was one example given. Had to have $1,000,000 umbrella policy of some sort. Had to be signed off by THE sherriff himself.

Someone else may remember the details...

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Between 1963 and 1973 I spent most of my time Outside the United States. January 1973 I was authorized to carry 24/7.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Between 1963 and 1973 I spent most of my time Outside the United States. January 1973 I was authorized to carry 24/7.

+1 Don't say that too loud. Many on here think no one could carry before 1996 and will even call you a liar. I was national armed security back then and carried 24/7 everywhere.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I was able to get a Parish Permit in Caddo Parish before then. Of course it was only applicable to the Parish.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I was able to get a Parish Permit in Caddo Parish before then. Of course it was only applicable to the Parish.

I’d be interested in knowing what the requirements were then if you can remember, for historical value.

In my attempts back when in ebr I realized that I didn’t have enough money or know the right people for it to happen for me.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Got mine during "may issue" by virtue of being an FFL and carrying guns and money as part of my business. Check out the permit # and date and realize that that is in the whole state.

STATEPER.JPG

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I’d be interested in knowing what the requirements were then if you can remember, for historical value.

In my attempts back when in ebr I realized that I didn’t have enough money or know the right people for it to happen for me.

$10k bond, reason to NEED the permit, sign off by LEO, background checks, finger prints, passport photos right off the top of my head.

Last edited:

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    $10k bond, reason to NEED the permit, sign off by LEO, background checks, finger prints, passport photos right off the top of my head.
    That about covers it.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I had a “permit” so to speak in the 70’s and 80’s. In order to do so I had to become commissioned as a “Special Deputy” in EBR and was sworn in. I also was required to get a surety bond (from an agency the Sheriff specified). I still have the commission card with J. Al Amiss’s signature on it. I was told at the time that it was valid state-wide. I never had to show it, however.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I had a *permit* so to speak in the 70’s and 80’s. In order to do so I had to become commissioned as a *Special Deputy* in EBR and was sworn in. I also was required to get a surety bond (from an agency the Sheriff specified). I still have the commission card with J. Al Amiss’s signature on it. I was told at the time that it was valid state-wide. I never had to show it, however.

That would have been better than a real Deputy in EBR. Don't think it was good out of EBR. My daddy had a Special Deputy commission when he worked a Ethyl in the late 60's and 70's it was only good on the plant property. Ole Al must have been at the Belmont

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom