Range keeps copy of Form 4

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    There is a range just South of here that allows full autos, however the owner makes and retains a copy of the form 4. I understand it's his property and he gets to make the rules. While I don't have a problem showing the form and verifying everything is legal, I have real big concerns with leaving him keeping a copy. An associate redacted his address but it's still got his name, and a phone book will reveal his address.

What say you all?

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    There is a range just South of here that allows full autos, however the owner makes and retains a copy of the form 4. I understand it's his property and he gets to make the rules. While I don't have a problem showing the form and verifying everything is legal, I have real big concerns with leaving him keeping a copy. An associate redacted his address but it's still got his name, and a phone book will reveal his address.

What say you all?

I concur. While it is his range, his rules, he has zero legitimate reason for keeping a copy of the Form 4. I could *possibly* understand him requesting to see the Form 4 prior to letting you shoot to make sure it is a legal MG, there isn’t a reason for him to keep a copy.

If you don’t mind, could you text me the name of the range? I know some of the range owners and could possibly have a chat with them and explain why this is a really bad idea.

My cell is (504) 717-3377.

Thanks,
    Kenny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Sorry, I should have put it in the first post. Long Range Alley Gun Club, 318-872-0111. This is one of the reasons I haven't joined, unless he's changed his policy in the last year.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I used to have a membership there. Never dealt with Class 3 stuff though. Only shot F/A in VA while we lived up there and as long as you had the papers with you, you were golden.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Keeping a copy of a form 4 on file for people to shoot nfa items is about as cool as the time that I went to Bayou Dragon and shot my early SBbraced AR pistol (now SBR).

After a few rounds of shooting my AR pistol with the original SB15 brace the younger guy that works there flicked the range lights and signaled me to come talk to him. I was asked to produce a tax stamp. For what?! I asked. I schooled him on the whole brace deal. He called the local ATF branch while I was shooting. Keep in mind...I have worked in retail (including NFA) firearm sales since 2011. I overheard his end of the phone call. I could tell that he was not speaking with a curious customer. After I specifically asked if he called the ATF. He said yes. I asked for elaboration on their response. They told him to not to police his customers. I cant make this **** up! lol. When I get some free time I will go back for shits and grins with another SBA3 equipped lower and a echo trigger to give it a try. If I am asked to produce a stamp again Ill swap lowers and run my SBR lower and tell him that theyre mine to shoot how I want to, legally and safely.

end story. just reminded me of ******** at a range.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Sorry, I should have put it in the first post. Long Range Alley Gun Club, 318-872-0111. This is one of the reasons I haven't joined, unless he's changed his policy in the last year.

Keeping a copy of a form 4 on file for people to shoot nfa items is about as cool as the time that I went to Bayou Dragon and shot my early SBbraced AR pistol (now SBR).

After a few rounds of shooting my AR pistol with the original SB15 brace the younger guy that works there flicked the range lights and signaled me to come talk to him. I was asked to produce a tax stamp. For what?! I asked. I schooled him on the whole brace deal. He called the local ATF branch while I was shooting. Keep in mind...I have worked in retail (including NFA) firearm sales since 2011. I overheard his end of the phone call. I could tell that he was not speaking with a curious customer. After I specifically asked if he called the ATF. He said yes. I asked for elaboration on their response. They told him to not to police his customers. I cant make this **** up! lol. When I get some free time I will go back for shits and grins with another SBA3 equipped lower and a echo trigger to give it a try. If I am asked to produce a stamp again Ill swap lowers and run my SBR lower and tell him that theyre mine to shoot how I want to, legally and safely.

end story. just reminded me of ******** at a range.

Wow, sounds like two really classy places.

I’ll pass on both.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    The owner might be a Russian bot making a list of People that have NFA weapons. It will make it easier when the commies go door to door and round them all up.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.

I’ve heard that story before—is this Ryan?

I agree that there is absolutely no law that requires you to show a tax stamp to anyone other than an ATF agent. I’d certainly show my stamp to a range officer upon request (their range, their rules) but I’ll be damned if I give them a copy. I don’t know anyone at that particular range and so I won’t stick my nose in there to tell him how to run his business.

Buy the way, if anyone is looking to buy or sell transferable machine guns, we can help. We either buy them ourselves or broker them to a list of local buyers.

If you all are looking for a great long distance range (900+ yards) to shoot where you can also shoot MGs without this kind of hassle go check out FTS Range (formerly Eymard’s) down in Cut Off. Great folks and a fantastic range.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I’ve heard that story before—is this Ryan?

I agree that there is absolutely no law that requires you to show a tax stamp to anyone other than an ATF agent. I’d certainly show my stamp to a range officer upon request (their range, their rules) but I’ll be damned if I give them a copy. I don’t know anyone at that particular range and so I won’t stick my nose in there to tell him how to run his business.

Buy the way, if anyone is looking to buy or sell transferable machine guns, we can help. We either buy them ourselves or broker them to a list of local buyers.

If you all are looking for a great long distance range (900+ yards) to shoot where you can also shoot MGs without this kind of hassle go check out FTS Range (formerly Eymard’s) down in Cut Off. Great folks and a fantastic range.

Thats me!

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Unless something has changed in the last couple of weeks, FTS does not allow full-auto as written in the range rules. Used to be ok with the former owner. I have talked to the new owner about allowing this and he is considering this based upon review of the insurance required. I talked about possibly setting up matches, shoots, or designated days for this. I will update in new thread if this changes.

To the OP, his range his rules seems to apply here. I have been fooling around with the NFA stuff for over 10 years and have never been asked for my "papers". I would show forms if asked but would never allow a copy to be made.

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    I went to a range several years ago and a range official was looking at every weapon and recording serial numbers. Had I not been on a long anticipated range day with my brother-in-law and my two sons, I would have immediately walked out. I regret doing so. I have never been back.

I think most of us are very private of our stuff. Unnecessary intrusion is a BAD business decision regardless of reason. I will not under any circumstances, give or allow a copy of my paperwork to be made by any range person nor will I show my paperwork to anyone other than a law enforcement officer.

Ranges may make rules. I have rules as well.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Just more reasons to build your own range and stay away from public ranges.

645fb5ac8290d46531a83c3627f6bb64.png
    9ebc0670372690071eeba641f352638e.jpg

Of course, I don’t have air conditioning...but on the upside, I don’t worry about inhaling lead, getting shot by a derp, dealing with spectators, costly fees, which ammo and guns I can shoot, giving unauthorized derps a copy of my legal papers, etc, etc..

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    At the range where I RO we only request serial number if a round goes over the berm. It does happen but infrequently. FA with approval of RM - usually approved depending on how crowded the range is and how sane the shooter seems (lol).

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I think most of us are very private of our stuff. Unnecessary intrusion is a BAD business decision regardless of reason. I will not under any circumstances, give or allow a copy of my paperwork to be made by any range person nor will I show my paperwork to anyone other than a law enforcement officer.

Ranges may make rules. I have rules as well.

I second this.....

Top Bottom