AR-9/PCC guru's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Hi.

I have a PSA AR-9 that has now broken the cartridge off in the breach twice. After the first time, I replaced the buffer with a long, 10.5 oz Spikes buffer but this last Saturday it did it again. I do use reman ammo - could this be the problem?

Any advice or insight appreciated because it sucks not finishing a match!!!

Thanks

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Any issue I've ever had like that was bad ammo, only other thing I could think of is timing, maybe it's comming outta battery before the case has lost enough energy and is splitting case... Idk, I have never used it but they say palmetto has the best customer service... Maybe give them a shot

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Have you tried using it with Winchester White Box ammo? I would try factory brass ammo before anything else.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    PSA has a short chamber. Most factory ammo should be fine but reloads will have to be loaded short.
    Is the bullet staying in the chamber when unloading or is the brass breaking?

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    PSA has a short chamber. Most factory ammo should be fine but reloads will have to be loaded short.
    Is the bullet staying in the chamber when unloading or is the brass breaking?

Brass is breaking. Basically it is pulling the back off the cartridge, leaving a "brass tube" in the chamber. Contacted PSA and they want me to send it back so I assume there is something not quite right.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    im sure that's the only way they can fix it huh...Like I said im pretty sure they have one of those no questions asked 100%warrenty..... Personally I would try diff factory new ammo in it first or try virgin brass reloads before I sent it in for repair

Brass is breaking. Basically it is pulling the back off the cartridge, leaving a "brass tube" in the chamber. Contacted PSA and they want me to send it back so I assume there is something not quite right.

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Probably stepped brass. There is a bunch of it out there. The brass has a thin area on the front and is thicker in the back. Tends to beak off at the step. Pretty common issue especially in reman ammo.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    It’s either the stepped brass or rhe chamber os bad out of round. Leaning more to the stepped brass. Had a friend that had two of those separations in one match.

Keith2

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Covington - Northshore
    It’s either the stepped brass or rhe chamber os bad out of round. Leaning more to the stepped brass. Had a friend that had two of those separations in one match.

PSA is an incredible company that backs everything they sell. Contact them, and they will have you send it back to be repaired or replaced. They look at it as an opportunity for them to improve as well. I had ordered a side charging 300 BLK upper from them and it would jam picking up the next factory round. I took pictures, they said send it back and they had a new upper on my doorstep by weeks end. That gun is 100% with any ammo all the time. 110-220gr. Factory/Reloads... and very accurate!! PSA will take care of you!!!

Oh, your problem sounds like a chamber issue... possibly burs or something with the dimensions. (They will most likely swap your barrel.) My PSA AR-9 eats everything I feed it... even aluminum cases and spits them out with no damage.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Nope, nope and nope. It is NOT ammo related.

Been thru this already. Lemme find the thread. It’s the design, not the ammo.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Thanks Guys. PSA sent me a shipping label and my rifle arrived there this morning. They did not ask any questions so I assume, like Magdump said, it is a known issue. I look forward to hearing back from them.

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Shout out to Palmetto State Armory for great service. I received my gun back yesterday. They replaced the barrel as well as the disconnector spring. Time will tell if it solves the problem but the no questions asked service is awesome

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Glad they fixed your issue for you. Hopefully, all is now good.

On a side note I took mine out on Father's day and shot about 200 rounds of 147gr FMJ through it with the suppressor on it and it is Hollywood quiet all you hear is the mechanical noises of the gun and the thwack as it hits the backstop.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Glad they fixed your issue for you. Hopefully, all is now good.

On a side note I took mine out on Father's day and shot about 200 rounds of 147gr FMJ through it with the suppressor on it and it is Hollywood quiet all you hear is the mechanical noises of the gun and the thwack as it hits the backstop.
    Gotta love that!

Top Bottom