Private sale of handgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Yes it does. Read the law. I bolded and underlined the important part just for you.
    18 U.S. Code § 922

Where do you practice honestlou?

You are correct. My apologies. When I posted that I had just looked at the ATF's document, which is (incorrect) as I described. I did not look at the actual U.S. Code section. Again, my bad, and my apologies.

There are a couple of lessons here. One is to not rely on third party summaries/descriptions of the law. Secondly, even though that language is in the actual statute, the ATF does not include it in their summary of the law. This could just be an error, or it could be an indication of how their attorneys feel that the statute should be applied.

Regardless, I would not suggest selling a firearm as an individual to a resident of a different state. I am not one who wishes to test the resolve of the Feds in such cases.

Since you asked, I am an attorney by education and training, and practiced in Louisiana for about 10 years, although I no longer practice law. I stopped practicing law to manage my business full time.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    According to the social contract of citizenship that you enjoy, I'd say yes. If you don't want to commit a federal crime, whether you're caught for it or not, I'd say yes.

Also, the possible scenario of someone getting caught for not following the rules, more than likely in today's political climate, results in new laws being enacted curtailing the relatively free private transfer privileges (yes, privileges) that we enjoy. I'd rather not be forced to spend $40 and have to go to a gun shop to sell or buy a private firearm. So, the seller that plays fast and loose with private transfers puts OUR freedom and enjoyment of the hobby at risk, too.

Well I guess your right. We are only 1 president away from Kristallnacht

The government has to allow so much crime or they wouldn't be needed.

However the biggest criminals are in the government!

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    There are a couple of lessons here. One is to not rely on third party summaries/descriptions of the law.

Regardless, I would not suggest selling a firearm as an individual to a resident of a different state. I am not one who wishes to test the resolve of the Feds in such cases.

I was not relying on 3rd party summaries when I made my decision to do or not do what I do.

And I would not suggest KNOWINGLY selling to someone from another state either.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom