Question about LEO Glock trade ins

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    check it out thoroughly before making the purchase. some LEO couldn't care any less about their sidearms and they are beat to hell, while others take meticulous care of their weapons and only trade them in to upgrade for personal taste or their job requires it for whatever reason. just don't ask about a rnd count on the barrel. chances are, its a good bit. ( training )... Just my thoughts from my own experience purchasing prior LEO weapons.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The Gen 3 Glocks at a local PD are about 12 years old and probably have less than 3,000 rounds downrange and are in great shape.
    The P O S T Firearms Instructors pistols will have more rounds downrange.
    The Uniformed LEO use either G34 or G35 and Plainclothes LEO use the G19.
    I would like to see the G34 and G35 pistols replaced with all 9mm Gen 5 G17 Glocks.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Glock 23s are chambered in .40. You probably know that already, but I mention it because you mentioned 9mm.

That said, $300 is pretty cheap for a Glock, even if it needs a spring kit. As long as I could give the gun the usual Glock armorer inspection prior to purchase, I’d probably get one.

Mike

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Glock 23s are chambered in .40. You probably know that already, but I mention it because you mentioned 9mm.

That said, $300 is pretty cheap for a Glock, even if it needs a spring kit. As long as I could give the gun the usual Glock armorer inspection prior to purchase, I’d probably get one.

Mike

Used LEA Glocks in .40 are pretty cheap now that many people including LEA's are going to 9mm pistols.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    40 is dying. I've never cared for them.

There aren't many moving parts in a Glock, and I've seen very few that have ever been 'worn out'.

I'd buy a $300 Glock all day, just not in .40

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My first (of now many) Glock was a police buy buy. No issue with the gun at all.

Having said that, unless you want a .40 don't do it. If you plan to buy it to throw in your truck or closet and never shoot it won't matter, but if you actually shoot it will much cheaper and more fun if you buy a 19/17/34.

In the long run a deal is not a deal if it's not what you really want.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    The problem is I know nothing about Glock. So I'm trying to figure out what I want.
    I'm looking for full size. Long slide in .40 and in 9mm.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    The gen 3 23 is the snappiest glock, from my experience. The gen 4 with double recoil assy is considerably smoother than the gen 3. This is most noticeable with the 23. I do not find much difference between the 17 and 22, but a gen 3 19 and a gen 3 23 are quite different.

Personally i would spend more to get a clean gen 3 19, or find a gen 4 23 if you have to have it. It is a 4 inch barrel gun, so you mentioned long slide, that would be a 35 in 40 and a 34 in 9mm.

Cowboy55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2018
    Baton Rouge LA
    The problem is I know nothing about Glock. So I'm trying to figure out what I want.
    I'm looking for full size. Long slide in .40 and in 9mm.

A better question is, What do you want to do with the pistol? If you're competing in IPSC or IDPA and shooting hundreds of rounds, then a 9mm would be better; cheaper ammo, lower recoil. A .40 S&W is better for self-defense. Just my two cents.

Top Bottom