State Police Unmarked Cars

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I tell my family that if an unmarked car is trying to pull you over, call 911 and state the situation. The conversation is recorded which serves to cover you should you need the recording; and at times the 911 operator can confirm that car is official by making an inquiry. If confirmed, I still ask them to not stop until they reach a well lit populated area with constant pedestrian traffic. I also advise them that if the officer uses poor judgment and wants to take them in for *evasion*to be cooperative and un-argumentative. We will deal with it through the justice system. Logical thinking can take you a long way.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I tell my family that if an unmarked car is trying to pull you over, call 911 and state the situation. The conversation is recorded which serves to cover you should you need the recording; and at times the 911 operator can confirm that car is official by making an inquiry. If confirmed, I still ask them to not stop until they reach a well lit populated area with constant pedestrian traffic. I also advise them that if the officer uses poor judgment and wants to take them in for *evasion*to be cooperative and un-argumentative. We will deal with it through the justice system. Logical thinking can take you a long way.

Very good advice. The only thing I can think of to add would be to hit the emergency flashers. People don't normally drive with their emergency flashers on so turning them on should let the cop behind you know you acknowledge they are there. Most cops who drive unmarked cars recognize this along with not speeding away as the person not trying to evade them.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Regarding unmarked cars, you do need to be careful. There have been some incidents in the news lately about people impersonating LEO. There was one guy who abducted a girl and imprisoned her at his home. I’m all for calling 911 to verify identity. A legitimate traffic officer should be in full uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Regarding unmarked cars, you do need to be careful. There have been some incidents in the news lately about people impersonating LEO. There was one guy who abducted a girl and imprisoned her at his home. I’m all for calling 911 to verify identity. A legitimate traffic officer should be in full uniform.

It's not only traffic officers who have occasion to pull people over. As a detective, I was assigned an unmarked unit and my uniform was slacks and a tie. My badge was either around my neck or on my belt next to my weapon. I would pull people over as needed. If someone ran a red light in front of me, I shouldn't have to call for a traffic unit or a patrol unit. I was authorized to make the stop.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's not only traffic officers who have occasion to pull people over. As a detective, I was assigned an unmarked unit and my uniform was slacks and a tie. My badge was either around my neck or on my belt next to my weapon. I would pull people over as needed. If someone ran a red light in front of me, I shouldn't have to call for a traffic unit or a patrol unit. I was authorized to make the stop.

I’m concerned about being pulled over by an unmarked unit.

I don’t know if it is an approved thing but people in this thread have stated that if you are being pulled over by an unmarked vehicle that you can drive to a populated area before stopping. Is that true? I’d hate to have my tires shot out or the “PIT maneuver” send me into a ditch.

I will say that I wish we actually had MORE traffic enforcement.

There’s no real way for me to quantify the actual percentages but it seems to me that about 90% of people don’t use turn signals, that there are huge amounts of overly tinted vehicles, and that people routinely make turns out of the wrong lane. I see scores of people run stop signs and red lights every day; at least two in my own neighborhood every day. I’ve been driving for 50+ years and I have never seen someone stopped for any of these offenses. Maybe I’m missing something.

There are daily encounters with people who “bully” their way through traffic. This and the proliferation of distracted drivers (mostly cell phone addiction) has caused driving to become downright infuriating.

In Baton Rouge we have terrible infrastructure problems. The combination of that with inept, rude, negligent and irresponsible driving plus the violators yields terrible conditions. All of this has become a hindrance to commerce. It’s a challenge for a person who has to drive to make a living to accomplish an acceptable number of customer calls per day.

I wish that we could direct more enforcement resources to reduce the problems mentioned in the beginning of this post.

Sorry to turn this into a missive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m concerned about being pulled over by an unmarked unit.

I don’t know if it is an approved thing but people in this thread have stated that if you are being pulled over by an unmarked vehicle that you can drive to a populated area before stopping. Is that true? I’d hate to have my tires shot out or the *PIT maneuver* send me into a ditch.

As was stated in a post I agreed to, slow down and call 911. I added it would be helpful to put on your emergency lights. When you call 911, tell them you have an unmarked car behind you with lights on trying to pull you over and you want to make sure it is a real police officer. The operators and the dispatchers work close together. The operator will ask the dispatcher in the area you are in if they have a unit calling in a traffic stop on a car matching your description. If the dispatcher doesn't, (s)he will broadcast the question. The unit behind you will answer. The dispatcher will tell the operator. The operator will tell you. If you tell the operator you are looking for the first well-lit area to pull over, the cop will get that information. And if you slowed down and hit your flashers, the cop will know you aren't trying to run.

You do not usually have to pull over immediately. You can pull over when it is safe to do so. That may be in a well lit area that may or may not be populated. If you are on the interstate near Gonzalas, you cannot wait until you get to Baton Rouge before pulling over.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Isnt that considered *entrapment*? Or am I mis-informed?

You are misinformed. Entrapment is "the action of tricking someone into committing a crime in order to secure their prosecution." If you are committing a crime (speeding, reckless driving, running a redlight, and etc), any officer can pull you over. If the act is egregious enough (where it is a felony), an officer from another jurisdiction could even pull you over, detain you, and wait for the local jurisdiction to come to take you away. This likely won't happen, but it could. Type of vehicle or uniform of the officer is irrelevant.

Regarding unmarked cars pulling you over - as mentioned prior, dial 911 and inform them immediately what is going on.

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have also seen a 2016-2018 mustang Gt in dark blue or black with lights hidden in the grill last week. The blue LEDs were on and flashing and were stopped with 2 other troopers in marked cars.
    Good luck getting away from that.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I was actually back in BR this past weekend and saw two of the new BRPD units near LSU. Oh, and over the course of my 6 hour drive I saw quite a few unmarked units actually radaring. Luckily Waze + Detector + Not speeding much = no ticket

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I passed a white LSP Ghost unit on I-12 around Covington the other night he had a marked LSP unit about a mile down the road from him

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was actually back in BR this past weekend and saw two of the new BRPD units near LSU. Oh, and over the course of my 6 hour drive I saw quite a few unmarked units actually radaring. Luckily Waze + Detector + Not speeding much = no ticket

I was on patrol in New Orleans East one night as part of the "let's pull each detective for a shift and put them on patrol in a different district to make it look like we have more officers than we really do" initiative. It was probably 2 or 3 am when I stopped by one of the 24 hour stop and robs to grab some crack chicken. I found a quiet spot on the I-10 service road where I figured nobody would just roll up with a random question. I saw a few cars pass on the interstate and on a whim decided to see how many people were out using waze. I had only been there maybe 10 minutes at the most and someone had already flagged me. I replied and said not to worry, that I was only grabbing a quick bite to eat. I don't know if anyone believed me.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I wish ALL patrol car were unmarked!

I've seen a few local departments with subdued markings. I believe Central has a grey unit with grey markings. It's pretty close to unmarked. But it's amazing how many people get upset if they can't see the markings or the lights on top to tell them when it's time to behave in a manner they wouldn't otherwise behave.

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    There's an unmarked Challenger? That's been working I-10 between causeway and vets. I don't know who's he is, but he's paid for that car in the couple months I've been seeing him.

Not to say that he isn't doing a service, because I get passed by people doing 80+ in that strip all the time.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom