State Police Unmarked Cars

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackarup1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Gonzales
    After nearly getting rear ended by one of these new unmarked cars who was following us way too closely, I have a few questions.

First, the tint on these cars is clearly too dark so I'm not sure why it's legal for them, yet not for everyone else. Leo or not, the law should be the law.

Second, I've yet to see a visible license plate on any of them.

Third, according to Louisiana law, police vehicles have to be able to give a visible and audible signal AND be marked as a police vehicle, which these are not.

Here is the link:
    http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/law.aspx?d=78265

I find the whole thing pretty sleazy.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    After nearly getting rear ended by one of these new unmarked cars who was following us way too closely, I have a few questions.

First, the tint on these cars is clearly too dark so I'm not sure why it's legal for them, yet not for everyone else. Leo or not, the law should be the law.

Second, I've yet to see a visible license plate on any of them.

Third, according to Louisiana law, police vehicles have to be able to give a visible and audible signal AND be marked as a police vehicle, which these are not.

Here is the link:
    http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/law.aspx?d=78265

I find the whole thing pretty sleazy.

How do you know it was LSP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jackarup1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Gonzales
    Every one that I've seen is dark blue, blacked out windows, no license plate, and has a spot light including the one who nearly hit us. So while it's possible it's not a LSP car, I am pretty sure it was.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    That is an interesting law you posted. A couple of years ago SPSO went heavy on the unmarked cars, no unit numbers, and reg. license plates (not the private plates that are on marked units)
    Seek an answer/opinion from the AG... see what that office says.

I remember reading the article when LSP announced they would be adding these unmarked/slightly marked units. It was my opinion then that they added unmarked cars because their marked units were doing their job too well on the interstates.

Some of the new cars (white ones)also have subdued markings, nearly transparent on the doors.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    The law cited only addresses if you can be charged with flight from an officer. You need to read little more. 32:361.3 allows for a security exemption on window tint. Law enforcement is covered by the exemption. Don't have time this morning to look up the other laws that cover unmarked vehicles. Hope you don't think the chief of police or detectives have to ride around in marked cars.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Don’t know about the legality of it but they started using un marked dodge chargers blacked out to combat aggressive crazy drivers. I drive fast when on open road but people are flat out nuts around here behind the wheel. I hope they get them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Every one that I've seen is dark blue, blacked out windows, no license plate, and has a spot light including the one who nearly hit us. So while it's possible it's not a LSP car, I am pretty sure it was.

I don't think LSP has any blue ones. I've only seen one of the new black ones and it had a regular State Police plate on it. It was A-XX can't remember the plate number I noticed the 700 mhz antenna first then saw the plate

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Window tint: I wouldn't really worry about it... The windows on my explorer and my race car are tinted at the same level as police cars. I've never had any trouble about it. MOST leo usually won't worry about it, unless they're trying to make a given contact quota or are just being assholes. ( usually because you've given them a reason to be a dick)

The new Chargers they have: This is just my personal opinion, but it is the opinion of someone who is, and has been in the REAL street racing scene for years... LSP secured a ton of Chargers. ok great. They are R/T base model chargers.. meaning they are base model cars with nothing more than the V8 option, to be outfitted by LE as needed. They aren't that fast. If they bought these cars, to combat "Erratic drivers/Speeders" on the highway, they need alot more than a Charger. Its a 400ish HP car. They are using these to try to "combat" 800 - 1000+ HP street cars ( which is typical nowadays ) that regularly see 190+MPH on the highways on "racenights". The only exception I've noticed, is there are a couple of HELLCAT CHARGERS riding around. I've seen one in Grey and one in white. Even those, after being weighed down with LEO equipment are a joke. They should've saved the money and just continue to rely on Motorola. Its the only real chance.

Unmarked units: If you know what you're looking for, ALL police vehicles are easily and obviously picked out of the crowd if you know what to look for. They don't really need to be marked as police vehicles.

All in all, don't be a douche on the road, and it won't matter if LE is driving a Charger or a Ferrari... They'll leave you alone.

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    The State Boys are using the white ones with grey subdued lettering up here to patrol I-49. I don't really see a problem with it. I already slow down when I see something white, especially when it is in the median. If it helps them to easier sneak up on chronic TXTing while driving waterheads, then more power to them. They're more dangerous than drunks IMHO.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Window tint: I wouldn't really worry about it... The windows on my explorer and my race car are tinted at the same level as police cars. I've never had any trouble about it. MOST leo usually won't worry about it, unless they're trying to make a given contact quota or are just being assholes. ( usually because you've given them a reason to be a dick)

The new Chargers they have: This is just my personal opinion, but it is the opinion of someone who is, and has been in the REAL street racing scene for years... LSP secured a ton of Chargers. ok great. They are R/T base model chargers.. meaning they are base model cars with nothing more than the V8 option, to be outfitted by LE as needed. They aren't that fast. If they bought these cars, to combat "Erratic drivers/Speeders" on the highway, they need alot more than a Charger. Its a 400ish HP car. They are using these to try to "combat" 800 - 1000+ HP street cars ( which is typical nowadays ) that regularly see 190+MPH on the highways on "racenights". The only exception I've noticed, is there are a couple of HELLCAT CHARGERS riding around. I've seen one in Grey and one in white. Even those, after being weighed down with LEO equipment are a joke. They should've saved the money and just continue to rely on Motorola. Its the only real chance.

Unmarked units: If you know what you're looking for, ALL police vehicles are easily and obviously picked out of the crowd if you know what to look for. They don't really need to be marked as police vehicles.

All in all, don't be a douche on the road, and it won't matter if LE is driving a Charger or a Ferrari... They'll leave you alone.

If a police officer is chasing someone at 190mph+ for a traffic charge he is a dumb ass. The Charger that I have runs very well for a police unit and is really all that is needed. I believe the Michigan state police testing have them at a top speed of 156ish and I don’t see many interstates in Louisiana I’d want to drive that fast on. As far as window tint, get over it(not you, the OP), if you witnessed a violent crime and had to sit in back of the car until a detective got there you would be glad the windows are tinted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jackarup1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Gonzales
    Really, I don't care about the tint. In my younger days I always had 5% on my trucks. I just think it would be ironic if someone got pulled over for a window tint violation by a car with darker tint.

My main point was only that if you refused to stop for an unmarked car, according to the law I posted, I don't see how they could charge you with flight. There may be some other law but I'm not finding it.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Really, I don't care about the tint. In my younger days I always had 5% on my trucks. I just think it would be ironic if someone got pulled over for a window tint violation by a car with darker tint.

My main point was only that if you refused to stop for an unmarked car, according to the law I posted, I don't see how they could charge you with flight. There may be some other law but I'm not finding it.

Here's your tint law http://legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?d=88294

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Who does your MVI?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom