Streamlight Dual Function Tape Switch Cover?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a rifle with a Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount 2 installed. The rifle has a Magpul MOE M-LOK mid-length hand guard. I like the hand guard but it limits the mounting options for the light and tape switch. I have the tape switch installed on the left side of the hand guard. The rifle is currently residing in soft case. Before I put the rifle in the case, I unscrew the tape from the flashlight and install the regular tail cap. The case is a double gun case holding the rifle and a shotgun. My concern is that the button of the tape sticks out further than anything else on that part of the rifle, meaning it is the first thing something will hit. Has anyone heard of any "tape cover" that can be placed over the tape to keep the button from being hit and turning on? I'd hate to need the rifle and learn the batteries are dead. I keep spare batteries in the case but I'd prefer to not change them out every time I pull out the rifle. I can't imagine I'm the only one out there who has this concern so I suspect some solution may exist. I thought about cutting some PVC in half and, with some velcro straps, making a cover. But I also don't want to throw too much money at the solution. At some point, the money spent on this solution would be better spent on a custom set of foam for a hard case I have. Anyone have any ideas?

protac-rm2_logoed.jpg

MAG426_BLK_1.png

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Unscrew the rear cover that the tape switch plugs into just enough to make the light not function. Other than that... maybe a small Tupperware container over it in the case? Hard enough to stop anything from touching it... even a .223/5.56 small ammo box with a side cut out pushed over the top of it to prevent the shotgun from making contact with the button?

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Can you unscrew the head on the flashlight and lockout the ability for it to turn on?

This maybe?

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2012/09/13/review-tareinco-tape-switch-holder-tsh/

This mod may make it a little more low profile. http://www.breachbangclear.com/hands-like-mom-streamlight-rail-mount-2/

I plan on trying this mod out and running it on my sbr upper in the recessed 12 oclock mlok slot on a SLR helix mlok.

Trying to mount it directly to the mlok is certainly an option. That would eliminate the mlok rail section.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Does the tapeswitch unplug from the tailcap like a surefire?

No. The tail cap is hardwired into the tape switch. And surefire's tape switch has it's buttons recessed into the plastic tape switch housing. Even with Surefire's all rubber tape switch for the TLR series, the entire switch fit inside of magpul's tape switch holder.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a couple of surefire lights laying around. The tailcap for their Scout Lights is supposed to fit some other models, like the E2D. If the tail cap from my E2D will fit on the ProTac, I may be able to replace the ProTac's tail cap and tape switch with the better designed Surefire version. It's a little more expensive, the combo runs about $130, but I think that's an option. Then the soft case won't be an issue. Because I've qualified with that shotgun and rifle for duty use, I like keeping them together in one go-bag rather than two hard cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom