MS Enhanced Carry in Courthouses

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m surprised that they would approve carry in a court building.

Don’t try to bring anything including micro pocket knives into the BR City Court building. I had to attend a course for insurance credit there. Parking was terrible even on a Saturday. I arrived 25 minutes early, in plenty of time but had a 15 minute walk. When I came in they were screening like TSA. I threw my keys in the basket and there was a micro Swiss Army knife on them. The Constable was incredibly nasty to me. I told him that I didn’t have time to go all the way back to my car and asked if he could hold it for me. He said no. So I said “Well just throw it away then.” He told me he could not and that I had to exit the building and discard it myself. I went outside and found a trash can and discarded it. When I went back in the building they didn’t believe that I had thrown it away. I was wanded and hand frisked, and had to pull my slacks up to my groin. Of course I removed all metal including rings. I have knee implants and carry a card for that. The implants made the metal detector and wand beep. They kept asking my if I had any body jewelry or genital piercing. I repeatedly said no and the wand in my crotch multiple times confirmed that. Of course all this was backing up the line and delaying other people. Multiple times they said “don’t ever bring a knife in here” and “what made you think that it was OK to bring a knife in here?” They did not like my explanation that the knife had been on my key ring for 15 years and that I didn’t know that I was going to be searched and didn’t know that the address I was given was also the court building. City Court used to be at the old BR Junior High.

Terrible experience! A 1-1/4” pen knife!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My wife had jury duty earlier this week. They stopped her for her 'cat' plastic key ring...

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    I'm impressed with the courage of the Mississippi SC. If there is a problem, the legislature should clear it up, not judges issuing orders in contravention to state law. Wish more courts were like the MSC.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I'm impressed with the courage of the Mississippi SC. If there is a problem, the legislature should clear it up, not judges issuing orders in contravention to state law. Wish more courts were like the MSC.

You encourage firearms in Courthouses?

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    No, nor is that what my post indicates. I was wondering how long it would take before someone misinterpreted my post and responded accordingly. Respectfully, reread the post, paying attention to every word.
    Bayou Shooter!
    p.s. Caveat: I do encourage courthouse security to posses firearms. (Just wanted to mention that, so no one would plausibly accuse me of the opposite.)

Last edited:

CAJUNLAWYER

crusty old bastard
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Iberia Parish
    No, nor is that what my post indicates. I was wondering how long it would take before someone misinterpreted my post and responded accordingly. Respectfully, reread the post, paying attention to every word.
    Bayou Shooter!
    p.s. Caveat: I do encourage courthouse security to posses firearms. (Just wanted to mention that, so no one would plausibly accuse me of the opposite.)

I understand your post and agree completely with it.

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville

Apparently it's not totally over.

"As most of you know we took the 14th Chancery Judges to the Supreme Court two years ago. Recently the High Court ruled in our favor. However, their decision is not final until a period of time for the judges to respond. They have done so and we are about to do so. Then we expect the High Court to issue a "mandate" and end the matter once and for all.

This is an unexpected legal matter that we must address. It puts a burden on our attorney who has to drop everything he is doing and conduct legal research, write a response and file it. The time frame is 10 days. The fee for that service is $2,500 so considering the GoFundMe fees I am asking for your support to contribute as soon as possible so we can put this matter behind us.

Thanks to all the many people who donated before. We could sure use your help again. This is a small price to pay to re-take our rights from these judges. The impact is not just on the 14th district but impacts Chancery and Circuit judges all over the state.

Please donate and please share this with everyone you know. If there are any questions or there is a probable with the software accepting donations, please contact me immediately by phone at 601-665-6088.

Thank you,
    Rick Ward"

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    I can tell you from years inside courthouses that I have personally been in the building(s) for about 4-5 shootings. All but one was a self-inflicted GSW. A courtroom is one of the most highly charged emotional arenas that I can think of, and I'm not against firearms being restricted there at all. One might imagine a movie scenario where an accomplice aids an inmate in escaping with guns, and that is certainly a possibility. But far more likely is the emotionally distraught person who is in court the day his/her divorce becomes final or the day his/her children are taken, etc...

This is a recipe for disaster, plain and simple.

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    This is is a recipe for disaster, plain and simple.

I don't think it has resulted in disaster in parts of the state where judges didn't violate the law. Enhanced concealed carry permit holders have had problems only in places where the judges refused to comply.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom