350 grain pellet for hog hunting??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Co worker showed me a video yesterday. Guy was dropping hogs with a air rifle. Was around 350 grain. Showed head shots instantly dropping the hog. Anyone seen this video? Know what rifle was used?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I haven't seen the video and don't know what rifle was used. Was the rifle not mentioned in the video's description or by the people themselves in the video? If you do a google search for "350 grain air rifle" you'll get a lot of results, including a company that makes big bore air rifles and a company that sells the projectiles. The latter company lists some of the rifles the projectile works with.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I want one like Lewis & Clark carried during the Discovery Expedition. The company that makes replicas have them up to 46 cal 500 grain and 800fps. That's approaching some 45-70 loads.

http://www.topairgun.com/girandoni

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    You can use it to hunt hogs in Louisiana but it's illegal to use on deer. They are very loud when shooting but you can put a moderator on it without paperwork as opposed to a firearm.
    My buddy has a .45 Sam Yang and had a 9mm and .32 air rifles. Very heavy cumbersome rifles with about the power of a 45 ACP except for that one that lobs a 500gr at 800fps.

Last edited:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Remember all the support equip to run these things though - scuba tank, charge regulator, hoses... the list gets pretty big. That's why I want someone to make a replica of the original. It pumped up! Forever... But it did. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    The Airforce Texan is a top of the line big bore air gun. Several videos on Airgun Depot and Pyramid Air as well as on Youtube. Has three calibers: 308, 357 and 45. If you buy one, better plan on getting a 4500 psi air tank so that you can pressurize the tank on the gun every 3 to 6 shots! They have a Texan SS with an integral moderator. Can also get a set up on Pyramid Air that will shoot air bolts (similar to the bolts for a crossbow) as well as the pellets. Looks like an interesting set up, but definitely not cheap. By the time you get done, you will have put enough money in to get a pretty decent rifle!

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    I have been told by two sources that hunting deer with air rifles is legal even though not in the book. Please don't shoot the messenger...lol
    I was first told by a deputy as when they were checking a felon while hunting and that is what he was using as he could not possess a gun. I did not believe it so I called the wildlife field office in Monroe and had a long chat with the agent in charge. I was told as long as it is larger than a .22 caliber it was legal. I kept making sure he understood I was talking about air power and he plainly said what they go by now is caliber of the bullet. He did say that the Airbow was illegal. So the Texan with the adapter for the arrow would be illegal also. I am still in doubt but that is what I was told. At present I own the Condor in .25 caliber and .22 caliber which is the Texans little brother as I call it and I shoot from 34.7 grain to 55 grain cast bullets.
    I don't have a big bore yet but intend to get the Texan. And it is offered in 4 calibers now. .257, .30, .357/9mm, and .45.
    And while it is better to have an air tank it is not required. You can use the hand pump to pump up the 3,000psi that most of the pcps use.
    The hand pump will give you a workout when filling the 490cc tank on the Texan, but after that it is best to not shoot it to where the tank is almost empty. You won't get but a few shots out of the Texan at best with hunting power but if hunting you should only need 1 shot. You can also buy an electric pump, on average $275-$400 for one of the chinese made that is popular and made basically for refilling the tanks on the rifles, not larger tanks that you would use to refill the rifle with like a scuba tank or guppy. Some do but it is not recommended. If you live close to a paintball shop that can fill a tank to 4,500psi for you that may be the cheaper route instead of buying a compressor, but most scuba shops only go to 3k or maybe a little over and a scuba tank filled to 3k will only bring your gun up close to 3k and then go down from there, so you would need a 4,500psi tank and they are over half the price of the Texan. But a 4,500 tank regulated down to 3k and tethered to your Texan will give you a more practice time at the range before needing a refill of both.
    You can buy what is called a shoebox compressor for $500 now and can use it to fill your rifle or an additional tank. If you decide to step into the world of pcp be prepared to open your wallet and probably become addicted. I have both, the chinese pump and the Shoebox.
    So $1k for the rifle or more if buying it with the moderator, $650 for a tank, or $500 for the shoebox, $$-$$$ for accessories(hoses, filters, etc) to fill the tanks, ammo or cast your own and scope of your choice adds up real quick.....lol

Oh, and I have killed 3 pigs/hogs with my Condor, all head shots with one being right between the eyes, dropped like a rock using .25cal 34 grain. I love my regular rifles, but I also love my air rifles. Just something about using the power of air to chunk lead.
    Here is a site that has a world of info on everything to do with air rifles of all types. It is a wealth of knowledge.
    https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    there was a guy that used to shoot at southern shooting center. convicted felon. had a "writ" from a judge he carried with his airguns.
    had a .58 that used 500gr minie balls, and a .308 that he shot jacketed ammo from.

he hunted with both rifles, and had 4" groups with the .308 one at 200yds. had the shoebox compressor and a 4500psi "k" bottle in his truck.
    both rifles were much louder than firearms.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Air rifles are not legal for deer hunting in Louisiana.
    Check the regulations---smallest legal weapon is a centerfire .22 cal. Dude in in North La. got busted for shooting a huge rack and entered in Simmons big buck contest but he shot it with a .204 Ruger.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Air rifles are not legal for deer hunting in Louisiana.
    Check the regulations---smallest legal weapon is a centerfire .22 cal. Dude in in North La. got busted for shooting a huge rack and entered in Simmons big buck contest but he shot it with a .204 Ruger.

Hunter, maybe you misunderstood my phrasing, I did not say they were legal, Wildlife and Fisheries Field Office said they were and several months before a sheriffs deputy(a grain of salt) that happen to be involved with an agent on checking a felon told me they were. And the agent at the office stated it had to be LARGER than A .22 caliber which I already have known for over 45 years. As he stated they go by the size of the bullet now which must be above .22 caliber diameter. What he said is not in the book. (The statement about trespassing is no longer in the book either, but is still the same, last time in print was 2014.) If I remember right it was legal to use air for small game before it was printed in the book. Arrows propelled by air are not legal though the agent stated. Air is also listed as being legal for other quadrupeds(other than rabbit and squirrel) as they call them, and that is in the book. They may be lumping the big bore air rifles in with the muzzle loaders since equal or more in power and most are single shot breach loaded.
    I always thought centerfire was it until I called. So according to what the agent stated the one I have would be legal as it is a .25 caliber. Although I would not use it even though it would drop one easily. And I explicitly inquired that I was talking about air powered rifles. You may get a different answer down there if you call. I read Texas is in the process of possible changing also for the upcoming season.

And the guy you said was busted at Simmons had to have opened his mouth and stated what caliber he used because they do not ask about caliber, just what was used, ie: rifle, bow, or etc. I live 3 miles from Simmons and I was in the contest 2 years in a row with a 7 point and an 8 point killed in the past few years and all that is done is take the measurement, your picture holding the rack and what was used like rifle to put you in the proper grouping. I haven't been able to do much the past couple years though due to health battling cancer made me just not feel well enough to get out and hunt as much.

No matter though, I remain a legal hunter, always have been since a kid and it would be extremely easy to take a deer here almost 24/7/365 with just about anything since they come up in my back yard. But I don't and would report anyone I caught doing so.
    Sorry for such a long post, I had already taken my night medicine blood pressure, muscle, and heart meds and having a little trouble putting thoughts together at this hour after those....lol

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom