Tampa Police Purchasing Sig P320 Pistols.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The Smith & Wesson M&P will soon get the boot by the Tampa Police Department as the organization moves to the Sig Sauer P320 as its new duty pistol.
    The Tampa Police Department, boasting over 1,000 sworn officers in three districts of Tampa, will acquire approximately 1,375 Sig P320s to replace its current force of Smith & Wesson M&P’s.
    Tom Jankiewicz, Executive Vice president of Law Enforcement Sales at Sig Sauer said the move to the Sig P320 is due to the pistol’s modular style.
    “Sig Sauer is honored to earn the trust of the men and women of the Tampa Police Department through their selection of the P320 pistol as their official duty pistol,” Jankiewicz commented in a news release. “The modularity of the P320, with its ability to select grip size, combined with the proven reliability, accuracy, and safety of the firearm made it the right choice for this diverse group of officers.”

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Jankiewicz commented in a news release. *The modularity of the P320, with its ability to select grip size, combined with the proven reliability, accuracy, and safety of the firearm made it the right choice for this diverse group of officers.*

He neglected to mention they are $100 cheaper than the M&P.:D

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In a few years, expect to see a glut of P320's on the market when Tampa realizes that they voluntarily gave up one of the finest striker-fired pistols on the market for sub-par junk.

Mike

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    It all comes down to cost. Sig won the military contract because the bid was $100 million less than Glock. Sig can make the P320 cheaper than other striker-fired pistols. I'm assuming the police are offered a similar savings on a smaller scale.

Personally, I don't shoot the P320 as well as my M&Ps. The high bore axis bothers me.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The LEA bids are much less than retail and the Sig may or may not be less than the M&P for 1,375 pistols.

Retail pricing is a complex beast and the fact that the MSRP on one gun is higher than the other gun doesn't tell us a lot in terms of the deal that was negotiated for Tampa. We also don't know what deal Sig struck in terms of the old M&P's; I'm thinking about how Glock bought up scores of old duty weapons in the 80's and created a very profitable sideline business reselling those.

Either way, my guess is that a bunch of the Tampa brass got excited about giving their officers the new M17, and some slick salesmanship from Sig (and a hefty discount on 1000+ guns) made this move appealing. And I'll be the first to admit that the M&P is a boring gun, even though it's devastatingly reliable, very forgiving, and easy to work on.

It's also worth remembering that the sale of the guns is just one part of it. There's also magazines, parts, holsters, etc., with what are probably far high profit margins than the guns themselves.

Mike

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The Safariland type Holsters/Mag Pouches will possibly cost almost as much as the Sigs after trading in the M&P's.
    Been There, Done That.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The Safariland type Holsters/Mag Pouches will possibly cost almost as much as the Sigs after trading in the M&P's.
    Been There, Done That.

So much the better for us. I have a few M&P holsters and I'd gladly add a few more guns to my safe, even if they did walk the streets of Tampa. I'd like one of the .357 Sig M&P's just for the hell of it.

Mike

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I must say the backstrap safety on the M&P has to be one of the ugliest things I’ve ever seen on a handgun. Looks like the handle on the old thing used to print stick on letters. It has a wheel with the alphabet on it and you would squeeze the handle then print out the word.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I must say the backstrap safety on the M&P has to be one of the ugliest things I’ve ever seen on a handgun. Looks like the handle on the old thing used to print stick on letters. It has a wheel with the alphabet on it and you would squeeze the handle then print out the word.

The S&W Model 40 "Lemon squeezer" revolver with the palm safety is one of the coolest guns ever.

steven1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Hope they don t go droppin them @ the beach

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    My wife was told by a LDWF employee that they are going to transition to Glocks . They carry SIG's now .

Yes, they had a few of their guys at POST firearms instructor school in April. Those guys were shooting those old Sigs really well. DAO Sigs look funny without decocking levers.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gautreaux
    Top Bottom