Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

On Target

User Info Menu

Firearms from passed away family member

I just picked out 2 guns from my grandfathers collection. We split all of them between 4 grandkids.
    Picked the Browning Hi-Power 9mm from 76 and the S&W revolver longbarrel in 38 special.

My question is, do I need his death certificate or do a transfer at all?
    All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. --Daniel Boone

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Hahaha, take em' home and don't worry about wasting money on transfers or death certificates
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

On Target

User Info Menu

Oh don't worry, they are at home. I just wanted to check with anyone who might know whether or not I needed to do anything.
    All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. --Daniel Boone

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1911arkain View Post
    Oh don't worry, they are at home. I just wanted to check with anyone who might know whether or not I needed to do anything.
    Your Grandfather has good taste, Our condolences btw.
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

On Target

User Info Menu

Thanks, it's been a couple years. We finally got the grandkids together and opened the safe.
    Missed out on a Remington 700 with scope, and a 410 crack barrel (single).
    The safe was missing his WWII service pistol. We think someone talked him out of it in his last couple years.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1911arkain View Post
    The safe was missing his WWII service pistol. We think someone talked him out of it in his last couple years.
    ... and may that person burn in the fiery pits of purgatory. Talking a man out of his own service pistol is a bit like asking him if you can borrow his wife.

Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Even if crossing state lines there is a exemption for FFL transfer for inherited firearms. (GCA 68). That service pistol thing errks me... The only time I will buy one off a man is if their heirs do not want it, I would do it to preserve it's history and so it does not end up in some pawn shop or worse...
    Motorcycles and guns, how fun....

On Target

User Info Menu

At the time the owner aquired them there was no paperwork to leave a trail, unlike today, so they don t exist. my belief is you got the better of the two in the Browning. Enjoy.

Marksman

User Info Menu

No requirement to do any kind of paperwork at all.