Premium price for used Glocks?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    No horses were harmed in the making of this thread. This was just a realization that I stumbled upon, while looking at the market of used pistols. I just happened to notice the prices were all over the place for glocks. Most of the used ones were priced at or even over what new ones were going for. Several FFL dealers I was speaking with, came to that same conclusion. Apparently it seems others here are noticing the same pattern. I purchase new through blue label options, when I am in the market for a Glock or Sig. Some models are not currently eligible for that program, so I look toward the used offerings.
    If you don't like the post, the same advice you have given can easily be applied here. No need to beat a dead horse, pass over it and carry on about your day.

My dead horse comment was referenced to the high quantities of bitching people seem to engage in whenever something (usually something that they want or like) is priced "too high" in the marketplace. My advice of passing or making an offer is certainly popular response to this, so I could certainly be accused of beating a dead horse myself by issuing it again!

It was not aimed at your observations of used glocks selling at or above new prices. Market conditions drive the selling prices. Lots of variables there. If there is a scare, usually uneducated buyers flood in and are wiling to pay 50 to 100 bucks more for an item than what "we" (the well informed gun elite!) are used to paying. A new model and the advertising and exposure can make interest for older models. Dept trade ins and sales can cause price fluctuations. And more things that I cannot think of. Since the elections, gun demand seems to have dropped a bit, so it is a buyers market. That does not apply to all guns of course, but that is what I have noticed.

I can not imagine paying msrp or retail for a gun, glock or not. But I usually try not to pay retail for anything, I am cheap. I am willing to put time and energy into finding a "deal". Others just pay asking and move on with their lives. No harm either way, we are all different!

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Since this thread is about Glocks and costs new vs used. What is a good deal on a 34 MOS looks like 700 or 1050ish to 1200ish with a sight?
    I did see a few used Gen 5 but the cost was at right at new.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/775132289
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/771356109
    I know most want a 19 or 17 or 19X but I have no use for one at present.
    What do you think any used Glock is worth to you 10-20-30% off new if like new? I thought that was what the thread was about

Last edited:

Blaize

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2016
    Saint amant
    I think i saw a gen 4 MOS in the cabelas library for 700 the other day, and they are usually pretty high in their used stuff. I would say maybe 600 to 700 on a used one seems reasonable

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I think i saw a gen 4 MOS in the cabelas library for 700 the other day, and they are usually pretty high in their used stuff. I would say maybe 600 to 700 on a used one seems reasonable

And a new Gen5 34mos is 715 at jeffersongun on the web site. So in that instance I would get new and if any defects or problems it would be golden. Mr point is at what discount percentage is it worth to get used.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    And a new Gen5 34mos is 715 at jeffersongun on the web site. So in that instance I would get new and if any defects or problems it would be golden. Mr point is at what discount percentage is it worth to get used.

My personal rule is a "used but in new condition" or "like new in box" is worth no more than 80% of the new price. In fact, in the few ads I placed on here, albeit for non-gun firearm stuff, I search the internet for the lowest price I can find and make my starting price 80% of that. If I'm looking at something on here that's priced above that 80% mark, I'll pass on it. If I'm going to spend close to new money on a used item, I feel my money is better spent getting new from a known entity rather than taking a chance with an unknown seller for the exact reason you mentioned. If there are any defects or problems, I have both the store and the manufacturer as potential options for a solution. I've bought some stuff from the ads on here from some really nice guys. But as nice as they were, I doubt they would readily refund my money if an issue developed with the item.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Since this thread is about Glocks and costs new vs used. What is a good deal on a 34 MOS looks like 700 or 1050ish to 1200ish with a sight?

Blue label price on a gen 5 34 MOS is around $560. Become a member of the GSSF and you’ll be eligible to buy one blue label gun every year after your first year of membership.

Mike

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Just sayin’

http://palmettostatearmory.com/gloc...paign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=5:00+Email

d7b2a5f36d81f2465f2d92af2813509f.png

4762d658d4b5ab3281f7ad73b03007c7.png

Last edited:

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    Spot on.

My dead horse comment was referenced to the high quantities of bitching people seem to engage in whenever something (usually something that they want or like) is priced "too high" in the marketplace. My advice of passing or making an offer is certainly popular response to this, so I could certainly be accused of beating a dead horse myself by issuing it again!

It was not aimed at your observations of used glocks selling at or above new prices. Market conditions drive the selling prices. Lots of variables there. If there is a scare, usually uneducated buyers flood in and are wiling to pay 50 to 100 bucks more for an item than what "we" (the well informed gun elite!) are used to paying. A new model and the advertising and exposure can make interest for older models. Dept trade ins and sales can cause price fluctuations. And more things that I cannot think of. Since the elections, gun demand seems to have dropped a bit, so it is a buyers market. That does not apply to all guns of course, but that is what I have noticed.

I can not imagine paying msrp or retail for a gun, glock or not. But I usually try not to pay retail for anything, I am cheap. I am willing to put time and energy into finding a "deal". Others just pay asking and move on with their lives. No harm either way, we are all different!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    As in Magdump's post, $595 is about the going retail rate for a NIB G19X and Blue Label is about $530 before transfer or tax.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    As in Magdump's post, $595 is about the going retail rate for a NIB G19X and Blue Label is about $530 before transfer or tax.
    So, a fee and a (year? How long?) months long wait to save $65. How much is the fee?
    I guess if I was planning on buying a few Glocks over the next few years I could make that work.
    I kinda promised myself that if I bought another Glock, I’d go get some therapy. Or cut off a finger or something.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    No Glock does much for me to be honest, but they work.
    Probably the most overrated handgun on the planet. But they go bang when you pull the trigger. Extremely large number produced, but strictly utilitarian. The market is saturated with them.

Not trying to be argumentative but how are they overrated if they always do what they were designed to do?

That's fine. I was just curious if that label was based on fact or opinion. I got my answer and won't press further. Thanks.
    A statement that starts with the word probably should clue the reader in. PROBABLY, the most overrated...the rest is factual

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So, a fee and a (year? How long?) months long wait to save $65. How much is the fee?
    I guess if I was planning on buying a few Glocks over the next few years I could make that work.
    I kinda promised myself that if I bought another Glock, I’d go get some therapy. Or cut off a finger or something.

$35 for the first year and $25 every year thereafter. With membership you get a blue label coupon every year, and you can take the Glock armorer's classes. There's not a lot you'll learn in the armorer's class that you can't get from YouTube and some books, but at my armorer's class I did get to play with a Glock 18, which was well worth the price of admission.

Sure, it's not for everyone ... but the blue label coupon is a nice little surprise every year.

Mike

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Probably the most overrated handgun on the planet. But they go bang when you pull the trigger. Extremely large number produced, but strictly utilitarian. The market is saturated with them.

Boring? Perhaps. Overrated? Never. Market saturation? No, based on the prices they sell for used (and the steady demand for new ones).

I'd argue that Glock brought about the most important innovation since the auto-loader came into existence in the late 19th century. The Glock's simplicity and its extensive use of plastics make it one of the first guns with truly interchangeable parts, and the fact that a person of average intelligence can become a competent armorer in one day is astonishing. Imagine what you'd have to learn to strip, clean, diagnose, repair and reassemble a second generation Smith & Wesson.

They're boring in the same way that Toyota Corollas are boring, but Glock never set out to do what an Ed Brown 1911 or a Colt Python does -- and for the cost of the Ed Brown, one could have a half-dozen brand new Glocks in the safe, with money left over for some holsters and ammo. There's a lot to be said for cheap and good.

If you had to choose a single gun to go into battle with, I'm willing to bet that a Glock would be on the short list.

Mike

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Not trying to be argumentative but how are they overrated if they always do what they were designed to do?

Boring? Perhaps. Overrated? Never. Market saturation? No, based on the prices they sell for used (and the steady demand for new ones).

I'd argue that Glock brought about the most important innovation since the auto-loader came into existence in the late 19th century. The Glock's simplicity and its extensive use of plastics make it one of the first guns with truly interchangeable parts, and the fact that a person of average intelligence can become a competent armorer in one day is astonishing. Imagine what you'd have to learn to strip, clean, diagnose, repair and reassemble a second generation Smith & Wesson.

They're boring in the same way that Toyota Corollas are boring, but Glock never set out to do what an Ed Brown 1911 or a Colt Python does -- and for the cost of the Ed Brown, one could have a half-dozen brand new Glocks in the safe, with money left over for some holsters and ammo. There's a lot to be said for cheap and good.

If you had to choose a single gun to go into battle with, I'm willing to bet that a Glock would be on the short list.

Mike
    And yet they’ve been passed over twice by our military. Just sayin

My single gun for battle choice would be a rifle of course

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A statement that starts with the word probably should clue the reader in. PROBABLY, the most overrated...the rest is factual

Since you brought it back up, putting that word into context is the key. You're not saying it's probably overrated. You're saying it is overrated. The word PROBABLY describes the degree to which it is overrated.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Ok Perez, read into it what you like. I won’t disagree, but only clarify my statement, and I stated probably. Delete that word if you want. My opinions are mine and shouldn’t affect anyone else here. I hate catsup on my burgers and I also spell that ketchup on occasion. And I’m glad I don’t have to go to a police academy to own firearms.

923d4c860046137f3db0e87da04792e2.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Top Bottom