Premium price for used Glocks?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    Purchased the latest version of the Blue Book of Guns, which I normally pick up a copy every other year. Now I know due to supply and demand, the market prices do vary. I've noticed prices for used guns, specifically Glock going for well over listed prices for their conditions. Taking into consideration the high msrp at big box retailers, I still cant fathom a $50- $60 deficit from new, for a several year old Gen 3. I've seen Glocks, used with asking prices equal or more than can be purchased at a LGS. Has anyone else noticed this pattern? For some of the ones I've seen listed here (and they're apparently selling what I assume to be close to asking) maybe I need to re-evaluate the prices of mine.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I refuse to pay new price for a used gun. Period. And, accordingly, I refuse to price a used gun as if it was new.

But you aren't alone in seeing people asking new price for used guns. I see it all the time.

Blaize

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2016
    Saint amant
    I have noticed the same thing!

Its crazy especially considering you can join the GSSF for I think 60 bucks, and get two certificates per year to buy at Blue Label prices for a significant discount.

But then again people wouldnt be asking those prices if they werent getting.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Help me up on this wagon! I also can’t buy into the argument that I’m saving money on the taxes and FFL fee.

I try not to get butt hurt when I put one up for sale, ask a low fair price and some goober asks me what my bottom line is, but my butt is tender in that area. Lots of buyers and sellers seem to count on people not having a clue, and they prey on it.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I see people posting Like New glock on this site at retail prices but I didn't realize that was all over. I don't usually price used guns out "in the wild". If I'm going to get a new gun, I'll generally buy new. BTW, "Like new" = "Used". And it's not just glocks. I've considered replying to some ads to ask them to justify their price but I figured it wasn't my place. The market will usually let them know their price is too high when nobody buys it. Unfortunately, it doesn't reach that point until after 8-10 bumps including some where the seller begs people to make an offer. I've seen people price Anderson AR-15's in the $700-800 range. I'm not knocking Anderson as I have a couple of builds with Anderson uppers and lowers but it's a budget brand. It falls into the "not fancy but it works" category. It's a $500 rifle at best. I'm in the market for a G17, probably MOS, so I pay attention to the glock ads posted here.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Some people may have upgrades that they have done and they figure the prices into to the price. Everyone wants to loose as little as possible and there is always the low ballers that a seller has to deal with.

There are also people who buy guns and never shoot them or maybe run less than a box through them and never shoot them again. That could be where the "Like New" comes from. Sure, its used but not like my Gen2 G22 with over 10k rounds through it.

It's all give and take and the buyer wants to get the best deal available and the seller wants to get as much back as he can.
    If they can't come to an agreement they move on.

I never really get the threads posted time after time about prices. If I look at something and its more than I want to spend I move on. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I'm curious. What's the book value on a Gen3 G19? I have one and i'm thinking about selling/trading it. This one is stock.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If someone upgrades their weapon, the upgrades may not add value to the buyer. The seller may be better off returning the weapon to as close to stock as possible and selling the upgrades separately. As an example, I've got a Dead Air suppressor in NFA jail right now. A rifle with an upgraded muzzle device like a Surefire or an AAC adds nothing to the value for me.

And I get where the "like new" comes from. But if I'm going to spend "new" money on a weapon, I'm not going to take a chance on an unknown and their description of their "like new" weapon. Spending the "new" money on a new weapon from a retailer has its advantages. If there is an issue with the weapon, bringing it to the retailer may be an option. If I buy a used gun from an individual and there is an issue, I doubt the individual has any sort of return policy. I'm on my own.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Like others here, I generally don't buy new guns. And if I'm going to buy new, I generally wait for deals to pop up, like the new-old-stock Colt Commander Lightweight that I picked up for cost some months back.

But the OP's question was about blue book values on used guns. I deliberately *do not* buy the Blue Book because gun values tend to fluctuate. The blue book is good for understanding variants of a particular gun, and the value of one variant relative to the others. But in terms of absolute pricing, I go to the major auction websites, major online merchants, local gun shows and local gun shops to get a sense for how much things are selling for. For me, that's a far more accurate barometer since it's *actual sales* and not just a speculative price.

As for used Glocks ... deals can be had if you're patient. I have a brand new (old stock) Glock 37 on its way to me right now for $330 shipped. It's an oddball that's chambered in .45 GAP, but I'll have just as much fun with it as I would with a new Glock 17 or 22 for several hundred more dollars.

Oh, and the other thing ... if you have a penchant for buying Glocks and don't qualify for blue label pricing, get yourself a membership in the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation. In your second year of membership (and every year thereafter), they'll send you a coupon for you to buy a Glock at blue label pricing. And, you'll get invited to local GSSF shooting events where you can win Glocks.

Mike

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I see people posting Like New glock on this site at retail prices but I didn't realize that was all over. I don't usually price used guns out "in the wild". If I'm going to get a new gun, I'll generally buy new. BTW, "Like new" = "Used". And it's not just glocks. I've considered replying to some ads to ask them to justify their price but I figured it wasn't my place. The market will usually let them know their price is too high when nobody buys it. Unfortunately, it doesn't reach that point until after 8-10 bumps including some where the seller begs people to make an offer. I've seen people price Anderson AR-15's in the $700-800 range. I'm not knocking Anderson as I have a couple of builds with Anderson uppers and lowers but it's a budget brand. It falls into the "not fancy but it works" category. It's a $500 rifle at best. I'm in the market for a G17, probably MOS, so I pay attention to the glock ads posted here.

So you in the market for a G17 MOS? Do you want it with TLR1 and Vortex Venum or just a stock G17 Gen4 MOS? I may be able to accommodate you.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I see most ads and lots of them are at what new ones sell for or more.
    But they do come with a cheap holster some ammo. No Tax and No FFL. And some even say at times broken in. So ya do not have to waste your $ on ammo to break them in. That's a savings right there, of $ and time.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not going to pick up an unknown weapon and consider it reliable without putting some rounds through it myself. It may be broken in but I'm still going to spend money on ammo to make sure it's reliable with the ammo I regularly use.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I'm not going to pick up an unknown weapon and consider it reliable without putting some rounds through it myself. It may be broken in but I'm still going to spend money on ammo to make sure it's reliable with the ammo I regularly use.

Yes, Disassemble, Replace parts as needed, Clean, Lube, Shoot with carry and range ammunition.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My reply was sarcasm. I would buy new. Get a good holster of my choosing and have tons of ammo. Used is gotta be a great deal. Or a classic no longer made. Or both

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Buying a used Glock for the prices listed here would be crazy, especially when I can buy new blue label guns as cheap as I can.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I also think some sellers think the Nod Nod Wink Wink. No FFL is worth $ to some buyers. {IE} no one knows ya have it but them.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La

I 100% agree. I see a PPL at a store looking at guns. Just buy a gun and 1 or2 boxes ammo. And maybe and a holster. They are set. No range trip. And they state no range trip planned, Just taking the gun and ammo home to sit and collect dust. When time ti sell it they want a premium as it is a whole gun kit. So selling them anyway. What they have in it.
    1)The gun 2) The ammo 3) the cost of Holster 4} Some of the tax back 5) some of the ammo they used to break it in. Silly as that sounds. There were told run 300rnds so it is broke in and they did that you are saving that cost too. Like they did you a favor shootting it.
    Yes, I have had sellers tell me that. Effects the resale price
    I also think in some cases the owners selling did not even give the guy a chance.
    That they should have rented 1st then bought. So they wouold be happy with what they get.
    At times I do see 1st-time shooters if have some extra time. I ask if they would like another type of gun? Revolver smaller or larger than what they have ect. Or a Semi Auto Smaller or larger than what they have. So they get a better idea of what else is out there. And how much fun can had.
    Get them more comfortable with guns in general. Giving up a few Targets and little ammo goes far to get a new shooter more into it. And less scared of a new "Sport"

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    That was typed on my phone and edited and reposted. halfway through the edit send was hit look out of wack sorry
    I finished the edit the post above it should read better now.
    Again sorry

Last edited:
    Top Bottom