Revolver Cylinder Chamfer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    I have a Smith and Wesson model 625 and I want to chamfer the cylinders a bit. I got A ballpark estimate from a gunsmith and it costs more than the chamfer kit on Brownells.

My main concern is chamfering too deep. Assuming I can mic it accurately, how deep should I chamfer each chamber in the cylinder? What resources are available for reference with respect to the depth?

Thank you,
    Ryan

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Are you chamfering the cylinder on the back end, to facilitate loading? In that case a suitable countersink with the desired angle and some cutting oil would be all I would use. You only want to remove a very small amount of material, a hand screwdriver that accepts hex bits and a countersink with a matching hex shaft would be what I would use. No power tools.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I have a Smith and Wesson model 625 and I want to chamfer the cylinders a bit. I got A ballpark estimate from a gunsmith and it costs more than the chamfer kit on Brownells.

My main concern is chamfering too deep. Assuming I can mic it accurately, how deep should I chamfer each chamber in the cylinder? What resources are available for reference with respect to the depth?

Thank you,
    Ryan

WHY?

rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    The short answer is to facilitate reloading.

Reloading with a moon clip or speed loader makes things faster, but the rounds get sometimes get snagged and slow down reloads.

There's a little rim on a 45ACP round where the bullet seats into the casing. A 45 degree chamfer on the cylinder will decrease the likelihood of that rim snagging.

I'm after the information so I don't mess anything up.

rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    Are you chamfering the cylinder on the back end, to facilitate loading? In that case a suitable countersink with the desired angle and some cutting oil would be all I would use. You only want to remove a very small amount of material, a hand screwdriver that accepts hex bits and a countersink with a matching hex shaft would be what I would use. No power tools.

Thanks, I'm just now seeing this.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom