Mauser Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NOLArebel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2018
    New Orleans
    I recently inherited a Mauser. I don’t have much experience with old rifles, and I was hoping I could get some help trying to figure out its history. Everyone keeps saying, “Just Google the serial number,” but that hasn’t yielded any results. Haven’t really been able to find the right database I guess. It’s still chambered for a 7.92mm round. I can see the serial numbers - 18398 - but that doesn’t seem to match up with any lists I’ve found online. There also don’t seem to be any additional markings that are sometimes seen on them. In any case, it’s a cool rifle, and I’d like to know more about it. I’m sure it’s been around. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I recently inherited a Mauser. I don’t have much experience with old rifles, and I was hoping I could get some help trying to figure out its history. Everyone keeps saying, *Just Google the serial number,* but that hasn’t yielded any results. Haven’t really been able to find the right database I guess. It’s still chambered for a 7.92mm round. I can see the serial numbers - 18398 - but that doesn’t seem to match up with any lists I’ve found online. There also don’t seem to be any additional markings that are sometimes seen on them. In any case, it’s a cool rifle, and I’d like to know more about it. I’m sure it’s been around. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks.

I don't know of any 7.92's but if it says 7.62 it probably has been rechambered or chambered to .308. A picture would answer all your questions. Wait... A 7.92 may be an 8mm mauser.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I don't know of any 7.92's but if it says 7.62 it probably has been rechambered or chambered to .308. A picture would answer all your questions. Wait... A 7.92 may be an 8mm mauser.

7.92x57mm is also known as 8mm Mauser.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/
    Member CandyMan here is a member there. I am as well but have not posted in some time. As stated above you have an 8mm (7.92x57} earlier ones were 7mm (7x57} and made in many calibers as they were one of the major suppiers of rifles to many.

NOLArebel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2018
    New Orleans
    Thanks. I don't see any letters stamped anywhere, just numbers that don't seem to correspond to any lists I've found. Below are some pictures. Again, thanks for the help.

1491k3k.jpg

2edaz6c.jpg

IMG_6879.jpg

IMG_6888.jpg

IMG_6884.jpg

IMG_6885.jpg

IMG_6886.jpg

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    Yep, Kar98A or a Polish WZ29.

Does it have any stamps on the right side of the receiver, opposite the receiver serial number, that look like crowns with numbers under them? If the crowns are there, it's German.

Either way, it's an uncommon Small ring 98 action and looks to be in great shape although the serial numbers don't match.

Al

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My S/42 shows this particular K98 was built by Mauser Werke, while the "G" date code shows it was manufactured in 1935 the German serial numbering system started over again at "1" for each manufacturer for each year of production, so you'll find identical serial numbers throughout each model for each year of production, and each manufacturer would have identical serial numbers. After each manufacturer hit 9999 for a particular model, they would add a serif letter to the back of the s/n, and continue through, so that 9999 would be followed by 1a, then 9999a would be followed by 1b, then 9999b would be followed by 1c, and so on.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    The Kar98A would not have a Coded receiver like that. If it were a German made gun it would have the name of the arsenal and the year of manufacture. Like "Erfurt 1917". If it is not marked like that, it's probably a Polish WZ29.

Al

Attachments

• kar98az3_zps5615ff76.jpg
      kar98az3_zps5615ff76.jpg
      27.2 KB · Views: 116
    Last edited:

frhunter13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2018
    New Orleans
    Not a K98. The stock is wrong. Perhaps a VZ 24?

It could also be a Spanish Mauser which is often only adorned with a serial number!

Also the correct ammo designator is 8x57JS

Last edited:

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    I am looking at the stock again and I am convinced that it is the Polish WZ98a. The Kar98a would have the sling running through the stock like the later Kar98k and this one has both sling swivels on the bottom instead. I will now go with the WZ98a.

See Here: WZ98a

Al

Last edited:

frhunter13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2018
    New Orleans
    I am looking at the stock again and I am convinced that it is the Polish WZ98a. The Kar98a would have the sling running through the stock like the later Kar98k and this one has both sling swivels on the bottom instead. I will now go with the WZ98a.

See Here: WZ98a

Think you are correct. That Bayonet hook up is the give away. Very "Polish", heh.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom